Subwoofer for Seas IDUNN

Go to solution Solved by SSL,

I'll throw in my two cents.

Whether you will need a sub is going to depend on the size of your listening space and how these speakers respond to room gain. A bedroom or small living room will almost certainly not require one, but a medium (1500-3000ft^3) to large room might benefit from a good one.

So, I'm building a pair of speakers.

These are the ones I'm building.

I'll be using the same drivers and crossover design.

Should cost about £300 all together.

However, I'm going to need a sub (I think... if you disagree, let me know).

So, I'd like a decent active subwoofer design I can follow, which will be a good match for these speakers.

I'd like to build the sub as well.

I don't have a budget, but bear in mind I want the sub to be a good match for the rest of the system, so nothing stupid expensive.

If there's any more information you need, let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

i don't think you will need a sub for the 2.0 speaker you are building,

those speaker you are building already have woofer in them so the bass can be handled with the woofer

and in 2.0 speaker configuration, sub is always optional

only if you feel that the bass is lacking then you should built a sub, but i think those 2.0 speaker you are building should be enough for you especially if on budget

from the frequncy response from there tests it seems to have quite good lows, so i would say you dont need a sub, but wait till you built the speakers then if you feel they are lacking get a sub.
looks like it could be some very nice speakers. post some photos once youve made them I think when I say we would all love to see the final product

The Dick of the audio page!

48 minutes ago, xkeith said:

i don't think you will need a sub for the 2.0 speaker you are building,

those speaker you are building already have woofer in them so the bass can be handled with the woofer

and in 2.0 speaker configuration, sub is always optional

only if you feel that the bass is lacking then you should built a sub, but i think those 2.0 speaker you are building should be enough for you especially if on budget

16 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

from the frequncy response from there tests it seems to have quite good lows, so i would say you dont need a sub, but wait till you built the speakers then if you feel they are lacking get a sub.
looks like it could be some very nice speakers. post some photos once youve made them I think when I say we would all love to see the final product

Thanks guys.

I know the woofer in there would be able to handle a bit of bass, but wasn't sure it would be any good at it.

The response curve shows it picking up around 40Hz, and I wasn't really sure if it needed to go any lower.

I'll take some pictures and that when I build it and make a thread :)

Sounds like I'm gonna build them first and see if I need a sub after :)

Thanks again!

58 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Thanks guys.

I know the woofer in there would be able to handle a bit of bass, but wasn't sure it would be any good at it.

The response curve shows it picking up around 40Hz, and I wasn't really sure if it needed to go any lower.

I'll take some pictures and that when I build it and make a thread :)

Sounds like I'm gonna build them first and see if I need a sub after :)

Thanks again!

Most cheap subs wont be any better then that.

The Dick of the audio page!

15 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

Most cheap subs wont be any better then that.

I wasn't planning a cheap sub, lol.

I'll just take your advice and listen to them before I make a decision.

I'd rather not have to build one anyway.

I'm glad that you guys don't think I'll need one. That's given me some confidence :)

Whether you will need a sub is going to depend on the size of your listening space and how these speakers respond to room gain. A bedroom or small living room will almost certainly not require one, but a medium (1500-3000ft^3) to large room might benefit from a good one.

2 hours ago, SSL said:

Perfect!

Thank you very much, this is exactly the kind of information I need :)

These will be for my bedroom, which is approximately 15X12X7ft.

By my maths that's about 1300ft^3.

However the walls taper into the ceiling (making it more trapezium shaped) so the volume of the room is likely significantly smaller than 1300ft^3.

Thanks very much for your 2 cents.

Looks like I'm highly unlikely to need a sub :)

My understanding was that a sub was mainly used to increase the low end frequency range of your setup.

i.e. if your woofers only go down to 60Hz, then you'd use a sub to cover the lower frequencies which the woofers can't handle.

Is this correct, or do subs actually serve a much more complex purpose?