Looking for a White DDR4 RAM Heatsink/Spreader

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
2 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

This is what I have... no current heat spreader (the colorful plating that goes over the ram for thermal disapation)... I need a heat spreader (I need the colorful plate).

download (8).jpg

either buy white heat spreaders (i saw some in the thread) or buy an other color, remove as much paint as possible, respray thin with white automotive paint.

the reason why i mention automotive paint specificly is because its decently cheap (from my experience cheaper than plastidip) more widely available (from my experience more than plastidip) and the paint is designed for parts that get hot, and need to cool down.

So the title says it all, looking for some white Heat spreaders that will fit my DDR4 ram, kind of link the item in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Heatsink-Spreader-Cooler-Memory/dp/B0079G2L96/ref=sr_1_27?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459282320&sr=1-27&keywords=memory+heat+spreader

I've been searching for some for about 2 weeks with no luck, so I figured I'd ask you fine folks for some assistance. My goal isn't performance, as I won't be overclocking my ram. My memory sticks actually didn't come with heatsinks so, "why don't you just paint them?" is out of the question. Worst case scenario I could just buy the ones I shared above and paint them myself.

"But bruh, you'll ruin the thermal heat exchange of the metal shroud to the air... heat dissipation... blah.. blah." - Enthusiast 

Yeah its not a performance thing... just an ascetic. I have 64gb of ram... I'll be okay :) Thanks guys, love you. 

Also even though I said performance is not incredibly important, please don't suggest, "Why don't you just paint the uncovered sticks of ram," or "duct-tape"

The worst I've heard yet, "Cut a slit in some cardboard, paint it white, and stick it over the ram" haha

Just now, thatguyyouknow75 said:

do what i did, buy ram you like, then plastidip it

I´ve worked quite a lot with Plasti-Dip and had nothing but positive experience. I can only recommend that as well.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

You could email Kingston and ask if they have heatspreaders from their Hyper X Fury range. (Well they obviously have them, but idk what the replacement policy is like for someone who wants parts for their ram).

I'm not entirely sure about the fit with your particular sticks, but I would guess it's nothing that some thermal pads and light bending wouldn't fix.

8 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

So the title says it all, looking for some white Heat spreaders that will fit my DDR4 ram, kind of link the item in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Heatsink-Spreader-Cooler-Memory/dp/B0079G2L96/ref=sr_1_27?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459282320&sr=1-27&keywords=memory+heat+spreader

I've been searching for some for about 2 weeks with no luck, so I figured I'd ask you fine folks for some assistance. My goal isn't performance, as I won't be overclocking my ram. My memory sticks actually didn't come with heatsinks so, "why don't you just paint them?" is out of the question. Worst case scenario I could just buy the ones I shared above and paint them myself.

"But bruh, you'll ruin the thermal heat exchange of the metal shroud to the air... heat dissipation... blah.. blah." - Enthusiast 

Yeah its not a performance thing... just an ascetic. I have 64gb of ram... I'll be okay :) Thanks guys, love you. 

here are something close to white. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3TR3S10396

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

2 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

or get a can of car paint and do it right.

1 minute ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

I'm assuming yours must have came with a heat spreader? Did it look like the ram on the left or on the right when you bought it?

004.JPG

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

or get a can of car paint and do it right.

actually no, car paint is very permanent and in few instances, it can be conductive. Plastidip is very forgiving and a great insulator

Just now, TriFlix Films said:

These are awesome! :D Thank you so much, I'll wait around for more suggestions and if nothing better comes along I'll probably buy these

Okay you could also try eBay, if you want something cheaper.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

actually no, car paint is very permanent and in few instances, it can be conductive. Plastidip is very forgiving and a great insulator

what do you think they used to coat that heatsink you showed in the first place?

also, if they designed their heat spreader to require to be non-conductive they need to just die in a corner...

I don't think you want to "insulate" the ram... it would retain heat... like a lot 

I don't think you want to "insulate" the ram... it would retain heat... like a lot 

exactly. in fact, you could run bare metal heatspreaders because a well designed spreader touches the parts that get hot: the chips.

and more especially: any intelligent manufacturer keeps the metal away from contacts, why do you think pc cases have standoffs?

not an issue whatsoever, the outside is covered, but the inside still allows air to pass through. also acts more of an electrical insulator, not thermal as it still dissipates a fair amount heat, more than automotive paint would

Wasn't sure if i should post this question in the Ram/Mobo section or the Modding section... looks like I found the right place. You guys are super helpful :)

not an issue whatsoever, the outside is covered, but the inside still allows air to pass through. also acts more of an electrical insulator, not thermal as it still dissipates a fair amount heat, more than automotive paint would

I really think you mean you coated the heat spreader with plasti-dip not the memory stick itself... At the moment I don't have a heat spreader to coat with "car paint" or "plasti-dip." If i end up getting a heat spreader and need to paint it, ill keep this in mind

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

I really think you mean you coated the heat spreader with plasti-dip not the memory stick itself... At the moment I don't have a heat spreader to coat with "car paint" or "plasti-dip." If i end up getting a heat spreader and need to paint it, ill keep this in mind

youre then looking for a white pcb ram? you could tape it off really well, and tape off the plastic logic chips and tape up to where it sits in the board, then plasti dip

5 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

except automotive paint is designed to go on thin, and plastidip is a fken sheet of plastic.

also, i'm not sure how your fan setup is, but i've never seen air flow underneath a heat spreader.

and actually, much more importanly, while indeed the heat spreaders are actually not functionally required in most cases, blocking off the venting of heat from the dimms will actually most likely not be healthy.

4 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

well, piece of advice here: dont paint a PCB, ever.

unless you're absolutely 100% sure of what you're doing, you'll probably ruin something by trying to paint a pcb that has components on it, and it'll most likely end up looking absolutely horrendous.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what do you think they used to coat that heatsink you showed in the first place?

also, if they designed their heat spreader to require to be non-conductive they need to just die in a corner...

typically they are anodized aluminum which isnt your standard painting process, and its not the heatspreader, its the over spray that could damage it, when i painted mine i didnt remove the heatsinks

typically they are anodized aluminum which isnt your standard painting process, and its not the heatspreader, its the over spray that could damage it, when i painted mine i didnt remove the heatsinks

i was coming in with the thought you'd remove anything that will get damaged from paint hititng it...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i was coming in with the thought you'd remove anything that will get damaged from paint hititng it...

too much of a hassle, thats the great part about plastidip, i dont have to worry

too much of a hassle, thats the great part about plastidip, i dont have to worry

that is honestly the worst thing i've ever heard someone tell me in terms of paint...

2 hours ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

that is honestly the worst thing i've ever heard someone tell me in terms of paint...

This is what I have... no current heat spreader (the colorful plating that goes over the ram for thermal disapation)... I need a heat spreader (I need the colorful plate).

download (8).jpg