Russian roulette with Corsair quality control... (PSU power surges)

Hello!

I have had this computer for about 3 years now and recently I have been having a few issues with my PSU. In some programs after a period of time the computer will completely restart saying that the "ASUS anti-surge has been triggered". I know some people have had this problem and have solved it by disabling the anti-surge on their BIOS.

My question is should I turn off the anti-surge to test if it is just false positives or should I just replace my PSU? Are their any risks associated with disabling the feature like blowing fuses etc?

Specs:

PSU - Corsair VS 650

CPU - i5-4570 

GPU - ASUS Gtx 970 Turbo

I don't run any overclocks either.

Thanks for the help!

TBH nothing in that system even uses 400w, just disable the anti-surge and you're good to go.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Using a workaround such as "disable the oversurge detection" when you are getting errors like "ASUS anti-surge has been triggered" seems a little reckless in my opinion.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

TBH nothing in that system even uses 400w, just disable the anti-surge and you're good to go.

Thanks, I'll try that.

5 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Using a workaround such as "disable the oversurge detection" when you are getting errors like "ASUS anti-surge has been triggered" seems a little reckless in my opinion.

Are there any inherent risks in disabling that? I would imagine it would still restart if a surge happened.

2 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Isn't the anti-surge a warning about voltage fluctuation?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

ASUS BIOSs have been known to be a bit wonky at times and at different times completely rekt your onboard NIC.  My ethernet MAC address is now 88-88-88-88-87 cos of some bug with the BIOS.  It's a very known issue and the only way to resolve it is to dismantle your PC, record ALL the serial numbers and of your motherboard, use a 3rd party custom BIOS tool and bake your own custom BIOS with the serials burned in...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Not going to lie, that PSU is probably Corsair's worst offering (and just a very low tier PSU in general) and I don't feel confident in pairing it with that GTX 970. Even if it is a bug in the BIOS, it may just be a good idea to replace it either way.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not going to lie, that PSU is probably Corsair's worst offering (and just a very low tier PSU in general) and I don't feel confident in pairing it with that GTX 970. Even if it is a bug in the BIOS, it may just be a good idea to replace it either way.

Hmmm, What would you recommend as a replacement? 

EVGA's Supernova 550 or 650

Corsair's RM550x

All three units sell for about 80$

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

EVGA's Supernova 550 or 650

Corsair's RM550x

All three units sell for about 80$

Sure, I will probably go for the corsair one as my local store only has the G1 EVGA psu's.

Appreciate the help

Cheers and good luck.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Foch Off said:

Hello!

I have had this computer for about 3 years now and recently I have been having a few issues with my PSU. In some programs after a period of time the computer will completely restart saying that the "ASUS anti-surge has been triggered". I know some people have had this problem and have solved it by disabling the anti-surge on their BIOS.

My question is should I turn off the anti-surge to test if it is just false positives or should I just replace my PSU? Are their any risks associated with disabling the feature like blowing fuses etc?

Specs:

PSU - Corsair VS 650

CPU - i5-4570 

GPU - ASUS Gtx 970 Turbo

I don't run any overclocks either.

Thanks for the help!

Well aside from the poor pairing of a PSU and GPU, Asus anti-surge is notoriously finicky. I'd just turn it off.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||