Best FREE anti-virus software?

I'm using avast right now(free version), but all it does is try to get me to buy it instead of using the free version.  It's annoying.  So any better options guys? Thanks!

malwarebytes is bae

clam for windows picks up alot but its paranoid

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, funman572 said:

I'm using avast right now(free version), but all it does is try to get me to buy it instead of using the free version.  It's annoying.  So any better options guys? Thanks!

Windows Defender is more than enough. 

The best anti - virus is you being careful.

Just now, Drakomon322 said:

Sounds cool.  I always try to be careful, but better safe than sorry haha

Avast is the best IMO if you just ignore it. it goes away after a while. I've had it for nearly a year now and I almost never get an advertisment

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I'm using avast free and it doesn't do that at all, maybe cause i have it on gaming mode, you should try that cause it's pretty impressive along with malwarbyte 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

10 minutes ago, funman572 said:

I use malwarebytes and avg

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If you're running Win 10, then Windows Defender will suffice for active monitoring. If you're the paranoid kind, like myself, have Malwarebytes on the side. Note than you can't have just any two antivirs, due to them crippling each other, but the free version of malwarebytes is run manually and it leaves Defender alone. 

AVG free is as good as avast

you just need to go through the settings and turn off tray icon notifications and windows sounds and youre good

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I use malware bytes over any other software. At first I used AVG, but then it gave me really annoying alerts everyday. Then I switched over to malwarebytes, and It found 14 viruses that AVG couldn't find. Use Malware bytes. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Windows Defender on Windows 10 is all i need, i'm careful with the contents that i see on the web, and strictly meticulous with usb and SATA devices that i connect to my PC. However, a targeted attack from specialized personal and software is impossible to avoid... if they decide to attack you specifically, the best solution is getting out of internet, but this might be a stupid idea lol..

Performance without style, there's no point. :-)

Sorry for any bad translation on my posts, im from Spain and speak a medium level of English... if something is wrong, please ask me for a better explanation. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, Drakomon322 said:

Thats wrong on so many levels

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

2 hours ago, Theo said:

Thats wrong on so many levels

As TrazosD said above, if hackers really want your head, there's nothing you can do about it. 

You just need to be careful with the web page you visit, files that you download and usb and sata devices that you plug in your pc. 

I just love when someone start threads with tag Best.  There is no of best av,  some have fast scanning engine, other better cleaning, other better tracing, and some have great resident/active protection.. 

AS for free version av, guys, its same matter as paid version, just with limitations.  For example paid kaspersky av have firewall, file fixing after virus infection, and probably some extra features.. While free have  basic av.  

IF u want high protection then u have to pay, if u want just decent protection then take any av from top 5, then use free version and thats it... 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

9 hours ago, Drakomon322 said:

As TrazosD said above, if hackers really want your head, there's nothing you can do about it. 

You just need to be careful with the web page you visit, files that you download and usb and sata devices that you plug in your pc. 

Yeah also check before a site you visit has been compromised, check that the updates you are doing arent compromised.

Anyone who recommends common sense or thinks that you can only get a virus from a fishy website does not know how you can get a virus

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

2 hours ago, Theo said:

Yeah also check before a site you visit has been compromised, check that the updates you are doing arent compromised.

Anyone who recommends common sense or thinks that you can only get a virus from a fishy website does not know how you can get a virus

if someone want your head in cyber space. 

First he will trace what u do. Even by using bing/yahoo/google u can find lot of data about yourself.. Youtube/g+/twiter/facebook is number one when comes private data leaking..   Via social websites like facebook find your email, then from your facebook or other social website check what u like, and if u parcipate in some activities even gaming. Then small fake email(phishing) method to get  in your pc. Even without requiring to download anything u can get infected due flash player or if u have installed java platform.   Or simply redirect to ransomware and u screwed up. 

Or simply trace your ip. used angryportScanner and bang I am in your pc. And u are f***up.   There are some other ways. 

IF u want to know how  can someone get in your pc participate in defcon forum.    

So indeed its not like every hacker will trying  get in your pc or take your head.  Most common way is phishing which use  and manage botnets..  So enough to have decent av and u are safe. Unless u get mad some dude who visit like blackhats, or download other tools to troll you.... 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.