Battle: Xifi ExtremeMusic ...vs... Alc 1150

diapersarefullofshit
Go to solution Solved by diapersarefullofshit,

Small update just so that other people with the same problem can atleast figure this one out in the future:

I made a specs-table of the most common alc chips and my Creative Xi FI Extreme Music (2007) and asked around how to interpret these values in a practical way. The answer I got was that the easiest way of comparing soundchips is "static" and "distortion", The differences in other values are less noticeable most of the time. This means that an 9 year old Extreme Xi-Fi Music is better then every alc chip. The 1150alc specs are quite comparable to the Extreme Music specs, but the Xi-Fi does all the calculations itself (less load for the cpu to handle) and you get some analog connectors, surround sound, flexiujacks and EQ settings to boot.

TLDR: It is worth it to install a Soundcard from 2007 even if you have the newest alc1150 onboard sound.

Small edit: Sorry for being a jackass but i asked on almost every forum and got jackshit answers which was very frustrating. Atleast we now know what the answer could be.

Have a nice day.

I need some concrete answers so here we go.

A battle: Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music Soundcard (2007) ...vs... internal Alc1150 msi z97-g43 (2015)

I bought the soundcard in 2007 together with a creative 5.1 audioset (the audioset has perished due to tripping over the wires). When i compare pcb's of 2007 and 2015 creative soundcards, they still look alot alike (black pcb with alot of capacitors and a black square heatsink). I have emailed creative with a similar question but i got a standard response back, the questions i am having trouble answering is:

1) Answer yes or no please: Can a Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music (2007) deliver better audio then the alc1150 (2015) when using it for gaming/music/movies (normal pc usage);

2) If the soundcard is better, at what pc-audioset-pricerange are most people going to hear the difference when they play gaming/movie-sounds on normal volume (music a little bit louder, but still enjoyable);

3) I have an older 2.1 audioset atm, i disliked the cablemanagement of 5.1 sets. I would like to hear other players walk behind me when i am playing counterstrike without a headset, want to have a feeling of being "in a movie" when i watch one in front of my monitor and have descent sound when i play music at slightly higher volume then standard. Which audiosolution would fit my audioprofile?

My gut-feeling says that a soundcard should be able to deliver a higher quality experience even the older ones, but what do i know (=nothing)! Audioquestions are giving me headaches.

Thanks.

It is science and technology, afaik it has nothing to do with ears. If sinshardware can compare mobo's based on actual components used,  then i am sure that somewhere people will exist that can do the same with soundsolutions. It is mostly comparing components on a pcb and the expectations that come with that... like why do i need ears for that? The question is quite simple: Will a XiFi from 2007 in most instances provide better sound then a alc1150? (not taking the audioset into account, that is still open)

It's not just the components used, it's about how it is implemented. And that varies from board to board, vendor to vendor. We need to go at it with instruments to measure it, which nobody bothers to do.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Stop making things more complicated then they really are.

If we can determine that a nvidia 970 could normally reach higher results then a nvidia 960, then we can also determine if the Xi-Fi Extreme Music from 2007 could give us better performance then a standard alc1150 onboard a msi z97g43 mobo from 2015. I can simply get a better audioset that has enough quality so that i can notice the difference afterwards.

If we can not do that, then we should delete this subsection because people generally post here if they want to know which component is good or if component A has the possibility to give a technically better sound then component B. It is all measurable and/or based on multiple user experiences and has nothing to do with ears. The "ears part" comes after the audio-set is selected and i am experiencing the sound the total soundsetup is making.

5 minutes ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

If we can determine that a nvidia 970 could normally reach higher results then a nvidia 960, then we can also determine if the Xi-Fi Extreme Music from 2007 could give us better performance then a standard alc1150 onboard a msi z97g43 mobo from 2015. I can simply get a better audioset that has enough quality so that i can notice the difference afterwards.

If we can not do that, then we should delete this subsection because people generally post here if they want to know which component is good or if component A has the possibility to give a technically better sound then component B. It is all measurable and has nothing to do with ears. The "ears part" comes after the audio-set is selected and i am experiencing the sound the total soundsetup is making.

There are little to no measurements on onboard sound.. because onboard sound is mainly...

2 hours ago, seduce_me said:

There are little to no measurements on onboard sound.. because onboard sound is mainly...

I can find roundups of multiple internal sound chips so do not evade the question or just do not post please. 2 choices (alc1150 or XifI Extreme Music), why & which audioset would fit nicely for the user to notice the difference and have a descent userexperience (feeling someone is in the movie or game & descent musicquality) as mentioned above.

2 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

I can find roundups of multiple internal sound chips so do not evade the question or just do not post please. 2 choices (alc1150 or XifI Extreme Music), why & which audioset would fit nicely for the user to notice the difference and have a descent userexperience (feeling someone is in the movie or game & descent musicquality) as mentioned above.

Yeah find a "round-up" that actually knows a thing about how audio works.  If your informed opinion is so good, maybe you should make the decision yourself instead of harassing the members of this subforum.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

Yeah find a "round-up" that actually knows a thing about how audio works.  If your informed opinion is so good, maybe you should make the decision yourself instead of harassing the members of this subforum.

Stop bullshitting, i am feeling harassed by google-answers i specifically did not ask for. I did not post here to get a general lectures on my very specific question. these type of answers i can read by googling the problem. If i took the effort to post my question here, i probably googled the problem myself earlier today, no?! Besides that, my question is very well specified, so i only needed a "yes" or a "no" on the first question. The reason i believe it is possible to answer this specific question with a "yes"or a "no" is because alot of advices are given here to people that buy a new computer or new components. My question is not any different from the question someone posts about if gpu A or gpu B is better, disregarding what he is specifically planning to do with it , or, which monitor he is going to use in combination with the gpu. And alot of the time people ask for a nice audioset that combines well with component "A" and the qualitylevel they want the total system to reach. I am not asking for general, unmeasured google-advice from the first googlepage, i need specific knowhow advice (=yes or a no).

FYI At hardware.info they test the soundquality of all the motherboards they review by ranking, alot of similar techsites also review/measure the soundquality the best way they can with the resources provided to them. Hardware.info measures for example:

- Dynamic Range

- Noise level

- Stereo Crosstalk

- Total harmonic Distortion

I am not a soundwizkid, but i can ask a specific question and assume i will get less general answers (which i feel are not based on alot of know-how but on google).

9 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

If we can not do that, then we should delete this subsection because people generally post here if they want to know which component is good or if component A has the possibility to give a technically better sound then component B. It is all measurable and/or based on multiple user experiences and has nothing to do with ears. The "ears part" comes after the audio-set is selected and i am experiencing the sound the total soundsetup is making.

Wow. You know little, yet you want to lecture me. Your hubris is amazing.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

2 hours ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Wow. You know little, yet you want to lecture me. Your hubris is amazing.

When someone asks you what your favorite fruit is,. people generally do not like the answer "spaghetti". Just leave please, you only spam.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update just so that other people with the same problem can atleast figure this one out in the future:

I made a specs-table of the most common alc chips and my Creative Xi FI Extreme Music (2007) and asked around how to interpret these values in a practical way. The answer I got was that the easiest way of comparing soundchips is "static" and "distortion", The differences in other values are less noticeable most of the time. This means that an 9 year old Extreme Xi-Fi Music is better then every alc chip. The 1150alc specs are quite comparable to the Extreme Music specs, but the Xi-Fi does all the calculations itself (less load for the cpu to handle) and you get some analog connectors, surround sound, flexiujacks and EQ settings to boot.

TLDR: It is worth it to install a Soundcard from 2007 even if you have the newest alc1150 onboard sound.

Small edit: Sorry for being a jackass but i asked on almost every forum and got jackshit answers which was very frustrating. Atleast we now know what the answer could be.

Have a nice day.