TL;DR: I Fucked Up

Last night was a bit of a ride. I've been having issues with Manjaro on my desktop and I've also been wanting to have the same distro on both my laptop and my desktop, so I moved all of my files (including a bunch of ISO files) on to an old laptop HDD formatted as FAT or FAT32, I can't remember which, burned Sabayon to a flash drive, and installed it alongside Debian on my laptop. I booted it up and realized I didn't know what the hell I was doing and I was in way over my head, so I booted the live environment up again and used GParted to restore my Debian partition back to normal. Apparently I did something wrong here because i was greeted by the Grub rescue screen when I booted up again. Well shit. I decided that I'd just reinstall Debian on my laptop and then install it on my desktop later. So I burned a Debian installer, installed Debian, and got it set back up to my liking while I watched a movie. (This was about when I posted that "Recommend me a Distro" topic)

When the movie was over, I went back upstairs and started to install Debian on my desktop, but then I remembered how much trouble I had installing it on my laptop (before I killed my install), so I looked through my folder of ISOs (I have like 30GBs of ISO files lol) and saw Sabayon, and started regretting not giving it a chance. And here my friends, is where I fucked up. Burned the Sabayon ISO, unplugged my Windows drive, and installed Sabayon over my Manjaro install. I booted it up...and again, realized I had no fucking clue what I was doing. I couldn't even figure out how to get Firefox installed so I could change my Gnome extensions.

Okay, fuck. I guess I'll just go with Debian... or not. I realized that the program I used to burn all my other ISOs, SUSE Studio Imagewriter, wasn't on Sabayon, and Brasero only burns disks. I shut it down and booted back into Windows, figuring I'd just use Universal USB Installer to burn the ISO, since that's how I got Manjaro on there in the first place. However, I was immediately greeted by Windows Startup Repair, at which point I was ready for freak tf out. It told me that I needed to do a complete reinstall, and seeing as how I have 500GB of games on there, that wasn't fucking happening. I'm kinda pissed about this because all I had to do was restart the damn computer, and I imagined how many non-techies have just accepted their fate and clicked re-install, losing all their precious family photos. Anyway, I got booted up, aaaand... my HDD full of ISOs isn't showing up and I couldn't assign it a drive letter in Disk Management (which is really fucking hard to find by the way).

Okay, fuck, maybe I'll try to burn an ISO from this Ubuntu CD I have lying around. Nope, black screen. I booted back into Windows, downloaded Ubuntu Gnome, and for some reason the file disappeared after it finished downloading. As my last hurrah (it was 1AM and I had to be up for school at 6), I burned the Manjaro ISO that I still had from when I installed it before (because it has SUSE Studio Imagewriter, I figured I could use it to burn an ISO). Aaaaaaand... It wouldn't mount. I said fuck it and went to bed at that point. If you're still reading this, damn. You probably don't have a very exciting life. Thanks for reading though :P

TL;DR; I fucked up

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Next time you do a big chunk of text like this please break it up please as it would have made it easier to read. 

But on topic, sounds like you had lots of fun! Good luck getting it working in round 2. 

21 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

Next time you do a big chunk of text like this please break it up please as it would have made it easier to read. 

But on topic, sounds like you had lots of fun! Good luck getting it working in round 2. 

I would break this up into like 5-8 paragraphs.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Just now, KE2012 said:

Yeah I probably should've formatted it a little bit. I'll get to it eventually.

14 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

But on topic, sounds like you lots of fun! Good luck getting it working in round 2. 

Thanks! I'm going to be either checking out Korora or settling with Debian I think.

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

3 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

Yeah I probably should've formatted it a little bit. I'll get to it eventually.

Thanks! I'm going to be either checking out Korora or settling with Debian I think.

I would read up on Fedoras package manager so you can easily install software like on Debian. Debian/Ubuntu use apt, and I beleive Fedora uses DNF.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dnf

Lord of Helium.

2 minutes ago, Burusutazu said:

I would read up on Fedoras package manager so you can easily install software like on Debian. Debian/Ubuntu use apt, and I beleive Fedora uses DNF.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dnf

Yeah, I realize now that doing a bit of research on a distro first can go a long way (Debian and Arch were really easy to figure out so I'm kinda spoiled I guess). I'm still kind of upset that I gave up on Sabayon so easily, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. 

So, update! I'm now happily running Korora 23 on both of my systems thanks to @Burusutazu 's recommendation. Really pleased with it so far, I managed to get both Steam and Spotify running, no problem. I got my laptop all set up and stuff, but haven't gotten a chance to do anything but install the OS on my desktop because I had my wisdom teeth removed today. Hopefully I've finally found my perfect distro!

On 23/03/2016 at 1:31 AM, steezemageeze said:

TL;DR; I fucked up

That you did, but then that's the fun of linux

Win + X then K will bring up disk manager. That win + x shortcut is a handy little thing

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit