Comcast Internet Issues and Question About Range Extenders

TC21
Go to solution Solved by TC21,

Alright then. I'll try this out.

I finally managed to upgrade to the 75mb/s plan after 4 calls to Comcast. However, while the internet speeds by my router are great (80mb/s wut, Comcast person was confused too), the speeds that I get on my side of the house are worse than before. On the 25Mb/s plan, I used to get 3.5mb/s on steam and my ping was pretty good. Now, the most I get is 1.5mb/s and my ping frequently spikes, even when there are no other devices using the internet. When there are other devices like my iPad Pro, my ping reaches 999. The internet also cuts out sometimes (every few minutes or so). Due to the poor design of my house, I can't really move the router or my PC anywhere else.  Would a range extender solve my problems? If so, what range extender should I get? (Budget is $150) Please help, I don't want to call Comcast anymore.

Get a nice beefy router to go with it =] or use a powerline adaptor + wireless router to a central location in the house

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

I forgot to mention, I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme not the router that they gave me.

1 hour ago, derick90 said:

Get a nice beefy router to go with it =] or use a powerline adaptor + wireless router to a central location in the house

TIL powerline adapters exist. From my 5 minute google search, you connect an Ethernet cable to one of the adapters, plug it in to a socket, then plug in the other adapter into another socket, and boom(?). I'm not sure this is correct but I am looking into these now.

Yep that's how they work, so what you would do is take the powerline adaptor "input" off the modem, and the output wherever you want your router for best coverage. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Alright then. I'll try this out.