is the Samsung S7 edge good?

DND

Hey guys my phone plan's gonna expire soon and i'm planning renewing a contract and getting a new handheld phone and i'm planning to get the Samsung S7 edge is the phone good? or should i go with another phone? Any recommendations?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

Yes, it's great.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No, it has several major flaws and is a failure of a phone - my grandma's TracFone LG Access is much better.

4 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Yes, it's great.

Oh i see thanks.

2 minutes ago, TheCovertCamper said:

No, it has several major flaws and is a failure of a phone - my grandma's TracFone LG Access is much better.

Oh? What are the major flaws of the s7 edge?

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

2 minutes ago, DND said:

Oh i see thanks.

Oh? What are the major flaws of the s7 edge?

Trust me the phone is just utter trash

/s

It's wonderful, but don't rule out the LG G5.

3 minutes ago, TheCovertCamper said:

Trust me the phone is just utter trash

/s

It's wonderful, but don't rule out the LG G5.

Oh i see. I think the G5 is still not available for my plan provider i you were to pick the s7 or g4 would you go for the g4?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DND said:

Oh i see. I think the G5 is still not available for my plan provider i you were to pick the s7 or g4 would you go for the g4?

No, I would just wait a few weeks. It'd be like paying the same price for an iPhone 5S today when the much better iPhone SE will be available in a few days.

3 minutes ago, TheCovertCamper said:

No, I would just wait a few weeks. It'd be like paying the same price for an iPhone 5S today when the much better iPhone SE will be available in a few days.

Well my phone plan's contract would end in august so it's still pretty far so i could still wait for newer phones to get out. I just asked so i could have an idea what to get a month before my phone contract expires.

Spoiler

the edges are ok and look nice, but i will never use one

why?

glass screen protectors

i use them

they are better than plastic

by far

and they protect your screen well

but for an edge, manufacturing it would be prohibitively expensive

also, there are basically no fall protective cases, because of the curve

and the second one of those edges hits something?

crash

broken screen

broke EXPENSIVE screen

3 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

the edges are ok and look nice, but i will never use one

why?

glass screen protectors

i use them

they are better than plastic

by far

and they protect your screen well

but for an edge, manufacturing it would be prohibitively expensive

and the second one of those edges hits something?

crash

broken screen

broke EXPENSIVE screen

oh i see. So it would be better if i were to just get the s7 and not the s7 edge?

Spoiler

12 hours ago, DND said:

oh i see. So it would be better if i were to just get the s7 and not the s7 edge?

in my opinion, very definitely

may want a second opinion, but this is mine

in my opinion, very definitely

may want a second opinion, but this is mine

Ok thanks. Well it would be better for me if i got the s7 only and not the edge one cause it would cost me less on my plan if :3.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, DND said:

Ok thanks. Well it would be better for me if i got the s7 only and not the edge one cause it would cost me less on my plan if :3.

yay!

(i use note phones anyways)

2 minutes ago, Josephdalepi said:

yay!

(i use note phones anyways)

Hehehe oh yeah, I was planning on getting the note 5 at first but then the s7 was released so i'm on a little bit of a dilemma right now on which phone to get after i renew my contract with my plan provider.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, DND said:

Hehehe oh yeah, I was planning on getting the note 5 at first but then the s7 was released so i'm on a little bit of a dilemma right now on which phone to get after i renew my contract with my plan provider.

(note 4 is better.  removable battery and expandable storage)

oh i see.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, DND said:

oh i see.

yeah

note 5 has some stuff, but nothing that even nearly makes up for that

yeah

note 5 has some stuff, but nothing that even nearly makes up for that

I'll try asking my plan provider if they still have the note 4. Thanks.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, DND said:

I'll try asking my plan provider if they still have the note 4. Thanks.

no problem

love this phone

1 hour ago, Josephdalepi said:

http://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-s7-edge

?

i personally prefer to buy phone insurance for my expensive phone. same price as a protector, but I don't need to have a condom on my expensive phone.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 hour ago, Josephdalepi said:

note 4 is not better in any way other than removable battery and expandable storage you mean. 

worse battery life, worse performance, worse camera, plastic

how is it better?

and s7 non-edge is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than note 4

Edited by ZetZet

Spoiler

S7 Edge = Good phone, because its kinda compact and has great battery life. Pretty much everything is great, exept its speakers are once again "terrible" and more because of its water isolation, its still using a micro-usb port and depending on wether you got a Samsung T3 or any sort of usb-c required gadget, your not plugging it into your phone just yet and software inconsistecy and lack of updates are also not fixed and ram management has been proven to not be nearly as good as what a 2GB Iphone can do. Those may be minor problems for most, but for some, speaker quality and placement, universal and reversible connectors, is more useful than water and dust resistance.

S7 = Seems like a downgrade to me,  making a 5.1 inch display vs the Edge 5.5 and sacrificing 600 mAh. Not a huge deal, but makes a big impact in longevity, which could have been avoided. All the problems of the Edge, this one has, exept that its screen and handling should be better than its counterpart and less false display touch inputs registered.

Note 5 = Ehm, its a phone that if you dont need expandable storage or water resistant, may work pretty well for your daily life, especially with the S-Pen. If your into "gaming", then the S7/S7 Edge should perform 2X better on almost every benchmark and most importantly, getting the 60 frames on most games. But the Note 5 can also certainly run 95% of every app available in the store, flawlessly.

Note 4 = Yeah, this is a great phone, but hard to recommend in 2016, unless for a bargain. Seriously, its hardware is very outdated, but its display is still balls great (better than what you see on many "wanna be" flagships released last year), and it has removable battery and expandable storage too. Android 6.0 should be available to it, in europe at least i just got my 6.0.1 on my S6 so it should too for Samsung past line of flagships, plus with a few little tweaks in the ui and overhaul system, it could potentially run as great as a modern high end. Of course, gaming wont be a breeze on modern and intensive apps, but its enough for Nova 3, Clash Royale and Royal Revolt 2, and so on. The performance difference here is of nearly 3.5X times as much.

Groomlake Authority

5 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

S7 Edge = Good phone, because its kinda compact and has great battery life. Pretty much everything is great, exept its speakers are once again "terrible" and more because of its water isolation, its still using a micro-usb port and depending on wether you got a Samsung T3 or any sort of usb-c required gadget, your not plugging it into your phone just yet and software inconsistecy and lack of updates are also not fixed and ram management has been proven to not be nearly as good as what a 2GB Iphone can do. Those may be minor problems for most, but for some, speaker quality and placement, universal and reversible connectors, is more useful than water and dust resistance.

S7 = Seems like a downgrade to me,  making a 5.1 inch display vs the Edge 5.5 and sacrificing 600 mAh. Not a huge deal, but makes a big impact in longevity, which could have been avoided. All the problems of the Edge, this one has, exept that its screen and handling should be better than its counterpart and less false display touch inputs registered.

Note 5 = Ehm, its a phone that if you dont need expandable storage or water resistant, may work pretty well for your daily life, especially with the S-Pen. If your into "gaming", then the S7/S7 Edge should perform 2X better on almost every benchmark and most importantly, getting the 60 frames on most games. But the Note 5 can also certainly run 95% of every app available in the store, flawlessly.

Note 4 = Yeah, this is a great phone, but hard to recommend in 2016, unless for a bargain. Seriously, its hardware is very outdated, but its display is still balls great (better than what you see on many "wanna be" flagships released last year), and it has removable battery and expandable storage too. Android 6.0 should be available to it, in europe at least i just got my 6.0.1 on my S6 so it should too for Samsung past line of flagships, plus with a few little tweaks in the ui and overhaul system, it could potentially run as great as a modern high end. Of course, gaming wont be a breeze on modern and intensive apps, but its enough for Nova 3, Clash Royale and Royal Revolt 2, and so on. The performance difference here is of nearly 3.5X times as much.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Spoiler

Nu get an iPhone 6s plus1!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!111!!!

JK, Galaxy s7 Edge is AWESOME!!!  I have one.  Everything about it is cutting edge.  Also you can expect at least 6 hours of screen time.

S7 / S7 Edge are the best smartphones on the market right now (consumer reports).

They have the best Screen on the market right now, 

fastest Internal Memory (UFS 2.0, except the iPhones, which are slightly faster, 

best Camera of all smartphones.

Quite good reception / signal strenght, very good auto-brightness, some quite nice "features" in TouchWiz.

Security Patches come really fast. non-branding international version got the march update 21th March. My Nexus 9 got it 15th, so just 6 days earlier.

They are honestly, "near perfection". Samsung did the perfect job here. Took the S6, and improved almost every single Flaw.

Some minor Flaws are still there tho, but they are just small fishes. Like missing FM Radio.