[Guide] How to fix 100% disk usage on Windows 10

Hi so I have not seen a guide in this section about this issue so  I will make one that will be short and sweet.

what worked for me was going to services. 

Screenshot_3.png.0190914c519e4af838415e1

After going to services scroll down all the way till you find "superfetch" right click it and choose properties. 

look for "startup type" and on the drop down menu select disable and click on apply. Then right click again on super fetch and select "stop"

Screenshot_1.png.e6fdbe0168e322e32e97a18

After make your way down to the search bar again and type in "Notifications"  select "notifications & action settings"  

Screenshot_2.png.731531f98f026110bdb9544

When the window pops out turn on the option of "show me tips about Windows" which should be to your right. Screenshot_4.png.b987f079b44ad45a5085bf6

Your hard drive usage should go from 100% to about 3 -20%.

If you do not like reading there is also a video I made about it check it out if you want.

Thank you and let me know if it was helpful!

I replace your reality and substitute my own.

1 minute ago, Dimas said:
Spoiler

Hi so I have not seen a guide in this section about to i will make it short and sweet. 

what worked for me was going to services. 

Screenshot_3.png.0190914c519e4af838415e1

After going to services scroll down all the way till you find "superfetch" right click it and choose properties. 

look for "startup type" and on the drop down menu select disable and click on apply. Then right click again on super fetch and select "stop"

Screenshot_1.png.e6fdbe0168e322e32e97a18

After make your way down to the search bar again and type in "Notifications"  select "notifications & action settings"  

Screenshot_2.png.731531f98f026110bdb9544

When the window pops out turn on the option of "show me tips about Windows" which should be to your right. Screenshot_4.png.b987f079b44ad45a5085bf6

Your hard drive usage should go from 100% to about 3 -20%.

If you do not like reading there is also a video I made about it check it out if you want.

Thank you and let me know if it was helpful!

Might want to put "[Guide]" in the title, I thought this was a question

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

If none of this works, and if you have skype go to Skype, tools, privacy settings and turn history to 2 weeks, then clear history

I've also had this problem and Microsoft tech support is to retarded to fix it.

(I've called them around 6 times because of this problem)

3 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Might want to put "[Guide]" in the title, I thought this was a question

Sorry about that, I just changed it buddy.

My HDD usually doesn't go to 100% in Windows but sometimes it just spikes up there randomly. Also this method does help a lot I have tried something very similar before. 

Well I did this just now on my laptop and it did drop so much, but when I had this issue on my main PC it was because of the Windows Defender was using 100% of my HDD and it was not cool. So I replace it with malwarebytes and turned off the Windows Defender, also from the Services, and it is all good :)

On March 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Thefireofwar11 said:

Well I did this just now on my laptop and it did drop so much, but when I had this issue on my main PC it was because of the Windows Defender was using 100% of my HDD and it was not cool. So I replace it with malwarebytes and turned off the Windows Defender, also from the Services, and it is all good :)

Hey man makes me happy that I helped someone. Thank you for taking your time to look at the post and sorry for late reply :) 

• 1 month later...

Hey Dimas thanks a lot for the guide my CPU usage dropped dramatically!! Thanks man and also, solid video man good job! 

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2016 at 11:37 PM, Rolfejc said:

My HDD usually doesn't go to 100% in Windows but sometimes it just spikes up there randomly. Also this method does help a lot I have tried something very similar before. 

hi

me too here having same issue, i did what this post said and i will monitor it for a few hours to ensure it is working fine,

will see how it goes

• 3 weeks later...

There is something else that can still keep SuperFetch "on". If you press the Windows button + X, you'll get a small window pop up, from there select "Run" and type into it "Regedit". This allows you to edit the Registry of your PC.

If you navigate on the left-hand side to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Session Manager -> Memory Management -> PrefetchParameters, you'll see a bunch of Registry keys on the right-hand side window. There are two keys you should take note of: EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch. To the right of their names, you'll see a value of 0x00000000 (0). If either of those keys do not have that value, then it means those features are still on. All you need to do is double-click on the key whose value you want to change, then change the value in "Value data" to 0. Once both EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch are set to 0, they are entirely disabled and will no longer bother you ever again.

On 21.3.2016 at 9:27 PM, Paralectic said:

Step one, replace your dying HDD with an SSD.

Done

are you sure it is a dying HDD? had this issue but HDD seems to be fine when checking SMART with crystaldiskinfo or searching for bad sectors with chkdsk

• 1 month later...
On 21.3.2016 at 9:27 PM, Paralectic said:

Step one, replace your dying HDD with an SSD.

Done

The same is happening for me on my Nuc with an SSD. But only spike wise, the system almost freeze than for 2-4 seconds.

I will test if dissabling fetch/superfetch will work.

If you have an SSD, you should be disabling Superfetch anyway. Superfetch and prefetching is something to cache bits of programs and data you use frequently so they are loaded into RAM when the computer boots. This is to make programs launch a bit faster.

But SSDs are already laughably faster than an HDD.

• 2 weeks later...

When the window pops out turn on the option of "show me tips about Windows" which should be to your right. 

@DimasShouldn't that be "...turn off the option...."?

A month or so ago I disabled prefetch and "show me tips...", and I still have instances of [disc 100% highest active time]. It seems to be worst when first starting the computer and near the middle of the month, perhaps windows updates or defender?

Also just tried @HunterAP 's suggestion and made EnablePrefetcher value equal 0, and will see how that works.

Edit; Nov, 27, 2016

No change, disk still goes to 100% highest active time for long periods of time. Up to 1/2 hour with sporadic moments of usability.