Shipping an iPhone 5 through the mail

minimoose

So I need to send an iPhone 5 (I'm in the US) and I'm not clear if USPS allows the shipments of phones, whenever I've shipped something through USPS they always have me sign something saying there are no batteries or phones in the package and yet I've received phones and laptops and battery banks through USPS and only once did one have a hazard sticker on it. The information on their website and Google is unclear and contradictory. What has your experience been?

To be clear I need to ship to via USPS because there are no fedex or UPS stores nearby.

Just go to the store and ask. Thats the best way to find out

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

25 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

You can call UPS and let them pick it up at your house.

I've shipped my laptop with battery and no problem. 

Does it cost anything to have UPS pick it up? 

16 minutes ago, airdeano said:

i use the USPS priority flat-rate shipping program. print postage and address labels from PC. the shipping boxes are free from USPS.

just give the pre-package box to a postal carrier, drop off box, or the USPS counter and it is done.

So the advantage of that is then you're never asked what it's in it? If something went wrong wouldn't I still be responsible?

28 minutes ago, Goodman2265 said:

Just go to the store and ask. Thats the best way to find out

The problem is that if you tell them then that have to mark it as hazardous which could be more expensive or not allowed at all.

i have shipped and received phones via usps,ups, fedex, with no sticker whatsoever, except one time when i had to return a mb to amazon and they had me place a label stating "PACKAGE CONTAINS PRIMARY LITHIUM BATTERIES" other than that nothing, but i know internationally there is supposed to be a ban or overseas(i live in hawaii so everything is overseas) thats why they remove the batteries from the phone before shipping but in you case thats impossible. but if you are mailing in the US its allowed. the best policy is to drain your battery to about 5-10% and let the usps guy know. i got the info from here

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_026.htm

usps even sponsor a company that recycles phones so that should be a plus

http://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/fl/2012/fl_2012_0926.htm

if your not in the US disregard everything and ignore, LOL

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20