Sennheiser HD 598 vs Beyerdynamic DT 990 (250 Ohms)

Hey y'all!

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and rid myself of the awful Turtle Beach x12 gaming headset. They have been my daily driver for a long time but the discomfort, mediocre sound quality, and unnecessarily long cable for my applications have made me decide that it is time for an upgrade. I initially I looked at the AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Signature with a FiiO E10K but later decided against the AKGs due to their fatiguing amount of detail in the high end. I have now narrowed my search to the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro-250 OHMs and the Sennheisher HD 598s. I still plan to get the FiiO DAC because of its reasonable price and features. My question is, if I listen to mostly hard rock (we are talkin' Alter Bridge, Soundgarden, System of a Down, Slash, Halestorm) which of those two headphones fits my use case? I also do some light gaming, (TF2 kind of stuff nothing immersive)

Thanks so much!

Kellen

I'am actually getting a dt 990 pro, I recently just put down an order for it. I will be pairing it with an ATR2500 audio technica mic and a sound blaster z to power it. I'll let you know what I think about the dt990 once it arrives.

the 598 is a waste of money since the 558 sounds 98% the same and you can eq them to be 100% the same. Those headphones have different sound signatures, but since you listen to rock I would go with the DT 990. I would also recommend that you look at AKG k612/702/712, I have found them to be really good for rock.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Dackzy have you personally tried out the dt990s?

Yeah.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

REALLY!? what are they like? im getting them to replace my sennheiser g4me zero. 

Just now, tuunade98 said:

REALLY!? what are they like? im getting them to replace my sennheiser g4me zero. 

they have a V sound signature and the highs might be a little to sharp for some people, and a good bass. They are comfortable and has a decent/good soundstage. Overall a good pair of headphones. It's a long time since I tried them.

I just bought dt990 pro with Fiio E10K and sound is great. 

Still getting used to less bass on Dt990s compared to my gaming Sivmberia S2 headset.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Love my DT990s but they're not for everyone as they're a tad sharp on the treble but overall great value and superb build quality. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

On 3/19/2016 at 3:14 AM, Dackzy said:

the 598 is a waste of money since the 558 sounds 98% the same and you can eq them to be 100% the same. Those headphones have different sound signatures, but since you listen to rock I would go with the DT 990. I would also recommend that you look at AKG k612/702/712, I have found them to be really good for rock.

You don't need to EQ them. I can't tell where they sound different, and I bought them literally just to try to find out first-hand. Of course, not everybody hears the same... But still.

Also I don't see any reason to go with the 250 ohm version. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

You don't need to EQ them. I can't tell where they sound different, and I bought them literally just to try to find out first-hand.

Well some people can, I have not done a blind test or tested them at the same time so I can't really say if I can hear the difference between them.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well some people can, I have not done a blind test or tested them at the same time so I can't really say if I can hear the difference between them.

Fair enough, see my edit.

7 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Fair enough, see my edit.

I also try to recommend the HD558 to all the people that are looking at the HD598, because there is no point in paying more for the same sound.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I also try to recommend the HD558 to all the people that are looking at the HD598, because there is no point in paying more for the same sound.

Except in the case of that black friday where there was like... A $7 difference. That wasn't half bad.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Except in the case of that black friday where there was like... A $7 difference. That wasn't half bad.

True. Did you get the 598se or the normal 598?

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

True. Did you get the 598se or the normal 598?

SE. Not that it matters. They were $93 or some shit. They were sub-$100. And I really wanted to see if I could tell the difference. I cannot.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

SE. Not that it matters. They were $93 or some shit. They were sub-$100.

They look nicer if you ask me :) 

Just now, Dackzy said:

They look nicer if you ask me :) 

Really? I'm not a huge fan of beige and brown. I like simple black. Anyways I just bought them to see if I could tell the difference between them and a friends hd 558 in a blind test. I cannot. I can also not tell the difference between the hd 558 and my PC360's.

Good job Sennheiser :P 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Really? I'm not a huge fan of beige and brown. I like simple black. Anyways I just bought them to see if I could tell the difference between them and a friends hd 558 in a blind test. I cannot. I can also not tell the difference between the hd 558 and my PC360's.

Good job Sennheiser :P 

I like the SE more than the normal ones. 

Just now, Dackzy said:

I like the SE more than the normal ones. 

Oh. I misunderstood you. Then I agree. Doesn't everyone; is that not why they were made?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Oh. I misunderstood you. Then I agree. Doesn't everyone; is that not why they were made?

Yeah I think thats why they made them, but some people like the beige and brown colors.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Yeah I think thats why they made them, but some people like the beige and brown colors.

Eh. I wouldn't mind noctua in my case. I never look in there anyways, but I take them to LAN parties... So that would be awkward.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Eh. I wouldn't mind noctua in my case. I never look in there anyways, but I take them to LAN parties... So that would be awkward.

One of my friends only have noctua fans in his pc and he has a big ass window in it. It looks so weird since the rest of his build is black and yellow.

Just now, Dackzy said:

One of my friends only have noctua fans in his pc and he has a big ass window in it. It looks so weird since the rest of his build is black and yellow.

I have an Arc Midi R2, which has a smoked side-panel window. Can't really make out the fan colors anyways. I might grab some noctua fans eventually. Who knows.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I have an Arc Midi R2, which has a smoked side-panel window. Can't really make out the fan colors anyways. I might grab some noctua fans eventually. Who knows.

I  have one in the front of my C70 case the rest are corsair sp and af fans.