Why do headphone amps have high output impedance?

AstroBenny

My understanding of amp output impedance is that you should aim to use headphones that have at least 8x the impedance than the output impedance of the amp.

I thought amps which had a high output impedance were just an example of cheap equipment but then..

I saw this..

http://www.vickershifi.com/products/paaurium/pathos-aurium-headphone-amplifier

A £900 headphone amp with adjustable output impedance of 16-1000 Ohm..

So..Why would you ever want to increase the output impedance and why is the minimum output impedance so high compared to much cheaper headphone amps?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

less impedance = more sensitive to EMI

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

26 minutes ago, Enderman said:

less impedance = more sensitive to EMI

This is literally wrong.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

This is literally wrong.

no its not

thats how electricity works

im not talking about amps btw, im talking about the speaker drivers impedance

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, SSL said:

This is literally wrong.

So...

Can you explain?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It may have to deal with the ability for the headphones to work with different devices. You could plug them up to an iPhone and then crank the ohms up for a studio setup which can help give you more consistent sound. But the tonality of the headphones wouldn't change. So versatility, maybe.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no its not

thats how electricity works

im not talking about amps btw, im talking about the speaker drivers impedance

But then you get speakers with a impedance as low as 2 ohms, oh they must be so shit with all the interference they get because of there low impedance.

The Dick of the audio page!

For now lets answer the basic question.

It has high output impedence b/c it's a tube amp. There, got your answer? Tube amps are meant for high impedence headphones or else they distort like crazy, most of them also put out less power at 32 or 50 ohms than they do at 300+ ohms.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

But then you get speakers with a impedance as low as 2 ohms, oh they must be so shit with all the interference they get because of there low impedance.

no because speakers require way more power than headphones to drive because they are far less sensitive

i dont think your headphones need a 200W amplifier do they?

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no because speakers require way more power than headphones to drive because they are far less sensitive

i dont think your headphones need a 200W amplifier do they?

My RF-7ii's are sensitive little flowers...err, sensitive large flowers!:$

They're made for high impedence (OHMs) "audiophile" *cough* headphones which require more power to drive. They're not great for bass, continuous bass anyway. They have a quick punch to the bass but it can quickly taper off due to whats called "counter current". If you read up about different types of electric motors you may hear the term a bit.