What happens if you use all of your vram?

FireofDestruction

so i have 2 4GB cards and was recently playing skyrim which i modded a little, 30 ish mods then i added a few more (50 ish) and a few more (80) and out of the total 80 mods i'd say about 20-30 are textures ranging from 2k-4k resolution. Well since i have this many my game has not been running smoothly, and i pondered the question if it was well me using all of my vram since i know high res textures will chew through it like no other. is there a program that monitors vram usage? 

4 minutes ago, FireofDestruction said:

so i have 2 4GB cards and was recently playing skyrim which i modded a little, 30 ish mods then i added a few more (50 ish) and a few more (80) and out of the total 80 mods i'd say about 20-30 are textures ranging from 2k-4k resolution. Well since i have this many my game has not been running smoothly, and i pondered the question if it was well me using all of my vram since i know high res textures will chew through it like no other. is there a program that monitors vram usage? 

msi afterburner

and CF doesnt mean that 2 cards will have 8GB Vram.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

8 minutes ago, FireofDestruction said:

to answer your title

Spoiler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Most programs that display common GPU info, such as clock speed, temperature, etc. will also display VRAM usage. MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, etc.

Typically being starved for VRAM doesn't look like a flat, consistent FPS drop but rather "hitching" and stuttering when you turn the camera quickly or enter new areas. But sure, I've seen that many mods could eat up nearly 4 GB, so it could be VRAM-related I suppose.

When you run out of video memory, your system is going to store the "overflowing" data onto your system memory, causing performance to decrease exponentially the more data is overflowing.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

When you use all of your VRAM, the same thing happens as when you use all your normal RAM. The processor (in this case the GPU) doesn't get the data it needs to work with, so performance drops.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

Just now, typographie said:

Most programs that display common GPU info, such as clock speed, temperature, etc. will also display VRAM usage. MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, etc.

Typically being starved for VRAM doesn't look like a flat, consistent FPS drop but rather "hitching" and stuttering when you turn the camera quickly or enter new areas. But sure, that many mods could easily eat up nearly 4 GB, so it could be VRAM-related I suppose.

what was happening is when i would enter a city like say white run skyrim turned into a meme? and would loop the same image over and over but you could hear people like walking by saying things and i would alt tab out then back again and black screen twas strange indeed i'm not done trouble shooting it yet always open minded about bugs and what not

Well,  in this case,  the gpu has to pull data from the system ram ( several times slower),  which can result in slowdown and stuttering. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Usually this will result in stuttering and hickups.

Results may wary, depending on game.

1. The game will stutter until old data is removed from the Vram, and new is loaded.

2. The game will load it when it gets it, causing excessive ''pop in'' and lower resolution textures appearing.

3. The game will attempt to use the RAM and/or the SSD/HDD as a frame buffer. This usually causes extreme performance loss, as even the fastest DDR4 system memory is unable to keep up with even the slowest GDDR5 memory.

A combination of the above? Game crashing? It's much less common than one would think. And there are virtually no tests. Skyrim is pretty much the only game where you can run the game at 60+FPS, while at the same time using in excess of 3GB Vram. In most games, once you reach around 75% Vram usage, you're no longer at 60FPS, so the Vram is not the bottleneck. However, there are some exceptions.

It's also important to note, that even if a game is reporting 100% Vram usage. It doesn't mean that it actually needs it. Some games, such as Rise of the Tomb raider holds on to the data and gets rid of it when the space is needed for something else. Whereas games like Witcher 3 seems to get rid of old data as quickly as possible.

This is the 580 in Watchdogs.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum