Sound card vs onboard audio

danny78690
Go to solution Solved by Me1bourne,

Buying DAC will be much reasonable if you are using headphones only and want to improve your listening experience.

Would you hear difference with SupremeFX? Yes. But not a big difference.

I'm sure this topic has always been debated but I just wanted to get some closure for myself.

I have an Asus Z87-A motherboard with DTS Sound (apparently it's alright, sounds fine) but I'm about to get my hands on an Asus SupremeFX sound card

I use Logitech G230 headphones, which are stereo audio, and was wondering if it'll make a difference if I use them on a surround sound card like the SupremeFX

Thanks in advance! :)

i7 4770  Asus Z87-A  32GB DDR3 1600    ASUS GTX970 STRIX      NZXT S340     Crucial M550 1TB Commercial Grade SSD     Corsair TX750 750W PSU

Buying DAC will be much reasonable if you are using headphones only and want to improve your listening experience.

5 minutes ago, danny78690 said:

was wondering if it'll make a difference if I use them on a surround sound card

It would still output in stereo, so unless you hear a noticeable sound quality improvement it probably won't make much of a difference. 

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

3 minutes ago, Me1bourne said:

That's what I wanted to hear lol. Makes sense, didn't think that a stereo headset would be much different just because of a sound card

2 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

It would still output in stereo, so unless you hear a noticeable sound quality improvement it probably won't make much of a difference. 

Thank you, I had a feeling there wouldn't be much change

i7 4770  Asus Z87-A  32GB DDR3 1600    ASUS GTX970 STRIX      NZXT S340     Crucial M550 1TB Commercial Grade SSD     Corsair TX750 750W PSU

unless you consider a bunch of audio enchancements and artificial EQ an "enhancement" there will be no difference

what a sound card can do is reduce the EMI if your onboard audio has some

but if you cant hear any EMI from onboard audio then a sound card is not necessary

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

unless you consider a bunch of audio enchancements and artificial EQ an "enhancement" there will be no difference

what a sound card can do is reduce the EMI if your onboard audio has some

but if you cant hear any EMI from onboard audio then a sound card is not necessary

There are so much misleading on this thread.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Go read my post not all those misleading things.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.