Planar Magnetic Speakers??

spwath

So I didnt know these existed. Are they simmilar to planar magnetic headphones in the advantages and such? Why are they not more popular?
Was just browsing craigslist and found these, not going to buy them due to $$, but just interested in this idea.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/5494983481.html

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

its the same concept as a ribbon tweeter

but ribbon tweeters are only good for high and ultrasonic frequencies

i bet these speakers have bass just as good as a laptop :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

But planar magnetic headphones have quite good bass.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

46 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It will have good bass because unlike a ribbon tweeter which is no bigger then a couple inches this is huge and it does the bass well.

Personally i think those modifications ruin it. If it wasnt modified and was still with all the original parts like the trim and the canvas I would be throwing money at the owner but it doesnt look in that good of nick too many modifications for my liking.

The Dick of the audio page!

40 minutes ago, spwath said:

But planar magnetic headphones have quite good bass.

yeah, because they are like an inch big

take some headphones and hold them a foot away from your ear and you will see that you can still hear them but the bass is gone

thats because it doesnt have enough SPL to make the low frequencies audible

17 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

It will have good bass because unlike a ribbon tweeter which is no bigger then a couple inches this is huge and it does the bass well.

Personally i think those modifications ruin it. If it wasnt modified and was still with all the original parts like the trim and the canvas I would be throwing money at the owner but it doesnt look in that good of nick too many modifications for my liking.

how large it is doesnt make much of a difference when its excursion is barely a millimeter

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

45 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah, because they are like an inch big

take some headphones and hold them a foot away from your ear and you will see that you can still hear them but the bass is gone

thats because it doesnt have enough SPL to make the low frequencies audible

how large it is doesnt make much of a difference when its excursion is barely a millimeter

Of course there no sub woofer so there not throwing out the sub 125hz, but they do produce good low mids.

2 hours ago, spwath said:

So I didnt know these existed. Are they simmilar to planar magnetic headphones in the advantages and such? Why are they not more popular?
Was just browsing craigslist and found these, not going to buy them due to $$, but just interested in this idea.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/5494983481.html

There not popular because most the time there massive. But a similar style of speaker Distributed mode loudspeakers where some drives vibrate a large canvas produce a similar sound but, they also arnt very popular but they are going to be because of the the war on making TV screens thin, so currently television screens are starting to get so thin that now the speaker is the limiting factor on thinness so a lot of research is going into making it so that the tv screen its self is the speaker by using DML speakers I saw some people attempt planar magnetic but it doesn't work because you still have cables in the way.

14 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

Of course there no sub woofer so there not throwing out the sub 125hz, but they do produce good low mids.

pretty much any regular speaker can do 50 or 40Hz at -3db

125 is extremely high for a speaker that size

that would just sound horrible

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

pretty much any regular speaker can do 50 or 40Hz at -3db

125 is extremely high for a speaker that size

that would just sound horrible

-3db is a bit of understatement most speakers by 40Hz are down by 10dB and by 30Hz they can be down by 30dB. But dont think of this speaker the same way you think of a normal speaker it works differently and produces a completely different sound.

18 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

-3db is a bit of understatement most speakers by 40Hz are down by 10dB and by 30Hz they can be down by 30dB. But dont think of this speaker the same way you think of a normal speaker it works differently and produces a completely different sound.

lol wtf

all speakers work the same, they move air

a ribbon tweeter is a different kind of driver, it does not magically make the sound any different

or do you think that you can hear spirits and ghosts through this speaker or something?

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, Enderman said:

lol wtf

all speakers work the same, they move air

a ribbon tweeter is a different kind of driver, it does not magically make the sound any different

or do you think that you can hear spirits and ghosts through this speaker or something?

You dam well know what I meant, It works differently then a normal speaker in the term its not a single round driver moving back and forth.

8 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

You dam well know what I meant, It works differently then a normal speaker in the term its not a single round driver moving back and forth.

no, now its a flat driver which moves back and forth a lot less

thats why bass response sucks so much for this type of speaker

Spoiler

I like seeing you two just discuss this

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I like seeing you two just discuss this

Like watching a couple of gorilla wildly swinging and missing one another.

2 hours ago, SSL said:

Like watching a couple of gorilla wildly swinging and missing one another.

Yes exactly.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.