Does gaming at higher resolutions create more CPU overhead?

Simple question, am I more likely to encounter a CPU bottleneck by playing games at higher resolutions? Or is it the GPU that isn't keeping up? Obviously there is more data being sent due to more pixels, but that is also offset by a lower frame rate (unless it's an old game). Obviously this stresses the GPU, but does it also place a disproportionate strain on the CPU?. Which one will crumble first assuming each is high end (5820K/6700K/980ti/FuryX) and no other bottlenecks exist (RAM/VRAM/game optimization)?

7 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

Simple question, am I more likely to encounter a CPU bottleneck by playing games at higher resolutions? Or is it the GPU that isn't keeping up? Obviously there is more data being sent due to more pixels, but that is also offset by a lower frame rate (unless it's an old game). Obviously this stresses the GPU, but does it also place a disproportionate strain on the CPU?. Which one will crumble first assuming each is high end (5820K/6700K/980ti/FuryX) and no other bottlenecks exist (RAM/VRAM/game optimization)?

it heavily depends on the game

but i would say its heavier on the gpu than cpu as resolution rises

edit:

additional info:

Spoiler

from the video you can see that 1080p and 1440p's score is almost similar but when it goes to 4k the framerate suddenly drops

because 1080p and 1440p, the the gpu doesnt have to work as hard but the cpu is working hard (cpu bottlenecking)

at 4k though, the gpu really have to push their hardest while the cpu is still working approximately the same amount, thats why the framerate dropped so much compared to 1080p and 1440p

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

yup, 4K doesn't care about your CPU at all. You could use a potato for you CPU and a 980Ti and you will be gold.

For example, I had a first gen Xeon (i7-920 era) at 2.8GHz and it didn't even bottleneck my 980Ti :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I would think   it would play a factor ,  depends on your cpu though.  and 5820K being a 6 core ,,,,  but base clock is lower , probably needs an OC the 6700K  is clocked so high ,,, wouldnt experience this issue 

Depends on the game. Some games use the cpu for certain effects and hence use the cpu more as the resolution increases. Arma 3 is a prime example of such a game as its fps is limited by the cpu and resolution increases drop its fps. Most games dont show cpu limitations and hence mostbscale on the gpumwith resolution but its far from universally true.