AMD Crimson 16.3 driver is out - Brings DX 12 async compute support for Hitman, and much more

Mr_Troll

AMD Release Crimson Edition 16.3 Drivers With Hitman DX12 Support – Fury X Gets 60% and R9 380X Gets 44% Performance Increase in Gears of War

AMD has launched their latest Crimson Edition 16.3 drivers which adds support for upcoming titles and also fixes the broken performance for Fiji and Tonga based cards in Gears of War. The Crimson Edition 16.3 driver incorporates several bug fixes while gets the red team ready for the upcoming launch of Hitman which is the latest launch title to feature DirectX 12 support and features Asynchronous compute.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3 Drivers Add Support For Hitman DX12, Massive Boost For Radeon R9 Fury X and Radeon R9 380X in Gears of War

The new drivers will not only support Hitman which is the latest DirectX 12 infused title, but also deliver boost in performance for the Radeon R9 Fury X and Radeon R9 380X graphics card. The drivers also fix AMD’s Rise of Tomb Raider performance, specifically for the Radeon R9 Fury X graphics card which compared to the Crimson 16.2 driver release will now perform up to 16% better. In the footnotes, AMD mentions that this was achieved with resolution on 1080P and a Haswell-E based rig.

Since launch, NVIDIA’s GeForce graphics cards have shown superior performance in the title with the Radeon R9 Fury X performing close to a GeForce GTX 980 in the same game which is a $479 US graphics card. With the additional boost, AMD expects to reach performance near the GeForce GTX 980 Ti levels which is its actual rival since both cards retail at $649 US in the retail market. It remains to be seen whether the performance increase will be passed on to the other Radeon graphics cards or remain exclusively for the Radeon R9 Fury X.

Radeons Ready For DirectX 12 and Async Compute Action in Hitman

Next up, we have the official support for Hitman, one of the top releases in March 2016. Hitman brings back Agent 47 back to his stealthy adventures but this time, developer IO Interactive has chosen to go ahead with episodic releases rather than a full release. The game will have two parts, one will serve as a Prequel to the previous Hitman titles while the other will place after the events of Hitman Absolution hence being a sequel. The game release tomorrow and one of the main highlights for the game is that not only was it bundled with AMD Radeon R9 390 and Radeon R9 390X graphics card but will be the first title to feature the most intense and best implementation of Asynchronous compute which allows graphics and compute workloads handling simultaneously.

Hitman_Beta11

This driver provides initial support for external GPU enclosures configured with Radeon R9 300 Series GPUs are now supported over Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connections. AMD XConnect technology additionally provides plug’n’play support and an integrated management interface. Base system must have BIOS support for external GPUs (e.g. Razer Blade Stealth). Additional new features in the 16.3 release include:

•  

• Per-Game Display Scaling: A new feature introduced in Radeon™ Settings that allows per game Display Scaling to be set within the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab under “Profile Options”.
  • Language Menu: A new feature introduced in Radeon Settings that allows the end user to select their preferred language from a drop down menu under the “Preferences -> Language” tab.
  • Two Display Eyefinity: Two Display Eyefinity is now an available option under the Eyefinity tab in Radeon Settings.
  • AMD Crossfire Status Indicator: A new feature in Radeon Settings that allows users to toggle an AMD Crossfire status indicator on their screen when running in AMD Crossfire mode.
  • Updated Social Links: New Social links are now available for Radeon™ Settings home page and have also updated based on geographical region.
  • Power Efficiency Toggle: A new feature introduced in the Radeon Settings Gaming tab for select AMD Radeon 300 series and AMD Radeon Fury X available under “Global Options”. This allows the user to disable some power efficiency optimizations.

Resolved Issues

• Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption (Fixed with new Power Efficiency feature toggled to off)
  • Gears of War Ultimate Edition – Random freezes may be experienced during gameplay
  • Ashes of the Singularity 2.0 Benchmark now supports DirectFlip
  • XCOM 2 flickering textures may be experienced at various game locations
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider™ – The game may randomly crash on launch if Tessellation is enabled

They finnally fixed the downclock bug. I can safely upgrade to crimson now. so glad they did this.

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-crimson-16-3-drivers/

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD_Radeon_Software_Crimson_Edition_16.3.aspx

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Oh, so I can stop using clock blocker. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Oooh, a fix for texture flickering in XCOM 2, yes please. Also nice to see Vulkan is now supported. :D

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT | Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | XFX Radeon R9 290 DD 4GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

Good, about time, team red always seems to take ages to release new drivers, compared to nvidia who release a new driver every month it seems...

Will this fix Cities Skylines issue where it will crash and say the display driver crashed but has recovered? blah blah...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Are the newer Crimson drivers substantially more solid than the earliest releases? I went back to Catalyst because I was having too many, and too big problems with the initial release that I tried.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

woot, can't to DL 

Finnally can upgrade to crimson without worrying about my overclock crashing. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

17 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Are the newer Crimson drivers substantially more solid than the earliest releases? I went back to Catalyst because I was having too many, and too big problems with the initial release that I tried.

This is the third or fifth driver release this year. (depends on how you count)
16.1, (16.1.1), 16.2, (16.2.1) and now 16.3

They have a long time between WHQL drivers, yes, last one was 15.12 still, but that mostly because 

1. They must pay for it

2. It takes time. 

And they've stopped calling the drivers beta drivers, just "Non WHQL", as they are really not beta. 

Edit: And I quoted the wrong post

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

19 minutes ago, Kirky2k15 said:

Good, about time, team red always seems to take ages to release new drivers, compared to nvidia who release a new driver every month it seems...

Will this fix Cities Skylines issue where it will crash and say the display driver crashed but has recovered? blah blah...

See my post above (I don't think you get notification if I edit in a quote)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Great to see that there's driver support for external GPU. Now only if PC vendors get up and push BIOS updates to all those USB C laptops

53 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Oh, so I can stop using clock blocker. 

Actually a simple registry edit can fix that.

30 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

This is the third or fifth driver release this year. (depends on how you count)
16.1, (16.1.1), 16.2, (16.2.1) and now 16.3

They have a long time between WHQL drivers, yes, last one was 15.12 still, but that mostly because 

1. They must pay for it

2. It takes time. 

And they've stopped calling the drivers beta drivers, just "Non WHQL", as they are really not beta. 

Edit: And I quoted the wrong post

Actually last WHQL was 16.1.1 Feb 12. They didn't bother to announce it or put it over 15.12 WHQL, not sure why. There's 16.1 WHQL too.
If 16.3 don't have much problem they probably will put WHQL version silently as well.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Lots of important fixes, so it would seem Crimson is ready for prime time now. The next big update by the end of the year will be very interesting. 

In the AMA it was said this update would be in less than a month, so I'm sure lots of users are happy that it was less than a week. 

Also, can people please stop paying attention to WHQL? It means nothing. Nvidia's latest WHQL release proves that if there was any doubt.

8 minutes ago, Johners said:

More importantly this driver brings Vulkan support to Windows users.

Nah, they had 5 beta Vulkan drivers previously in different branch and merged them in this one.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Also, can people please stop paying attention to WHQL? It means nothing. Nvidia's latest WHQL release proves that if there was any doubt.

Well, we gotta make sure AMD don't surpass the 160 days limit on a new WHQL driver update, as that is most certainly the most catastrophic thing imaginable. /s

WHQL testing is just paying microsoft to say nice things about your driver.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

I wouldn't be surprised in 2-3 years time if the Fury X just simply outperforms the 980 Ti stock for stock in DX11 titles.

I'm interested to see reviewers test out DirectFlip on AotS.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Now all I need is a Vulkan based game to be released :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, Mr_Troll said:

*snip*

They finnally fixed the downclock bug. I can safely upgrade to crimson now. so glad they did this.

FINALLY!!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

46 minutes ago, ybriK said:

I wouldn't be surprised in 2-3 years time if the Fury X just simply outperforms the 980 Ti stock for stock in DX11 titles.

Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock 

*cough* had to get that out of my system

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Actually a simple registry edit can fix that.

Actually last WHQL was 16.1.1 Feb 12. They didn't bother to announce it or put it over 15.12 WHQL, not sure why. There's 16.1 WHQL too.
If 16.3 don't have much problem they probably will put WHQL version silently as well.

Ah, that's true. Weird that 15.12 is listed as their latest still though, with 16.3 listed as a hotfix

Is it just me or did all the profiles and 'rescan' disappear? Because I can't find them.

Skyrim suddenly works incredibly well with no more of the GPU/crossfire use spiking like a crack fiend. Fallout 4 is showing simmilar behavior...But...

I had the Skyrim profile loaded. The crossfire indicator was not showing and I when I went into Radeon control to reset it if it had somehow disabled, thats when I noticed the option for profiles was gone from the menu.

Is it just me?

2 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock Stock for stock 

*cough* had to get that out of my system

Ah, that reminds me. You know what they call a skyscraper in Norwegian?

Hyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhyttepåhytte...

:P

5 hours ago, Kirky2k15 said:

What are YOU smoking???

These drivers seem good, still having issues with colour @60hz on my monitors with them though, having to run them @75hz for now...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----