Cooler Master Mastercase Racing, Porsche 917 Le Mans Tribute

gulf_porsche_1_cooler_master_mastercase_

I'm creating a new case mod with Cooler Master's Mastercase 5 / Pro Mid Tower. "Mastercase Racing" will be the catalyst for new bolt-on accessories and modifications for this case by Mnpctech. The custom paint finish will be inspired race by Steve McQueen's GULF PORSCHE 917 from his 1971 movie, "Le Mans."

gulf_porsche_1b_cooler_master_mastercase

The MasterCase Mid Tower draws it's inspiration from Cooler Master's MasterConcept from 2016 CES. Cooler Master wants you to have absolute control over how your case looks and functions. You can adjust the exterior structure and it's look through a range of replacement panels and doors. Each choice changes the look of the exterior while giving you flexibility of the interior layout. Order a new Mastercase 5 or Pro from Newegg, HERE

gulf_porsche_1c_cooler_master_mastercase

The legendary PORSCHE 917 is the inspiration for the custom paint on this case mod. The 917 only raced for three seasons. It placed 1st in fourteen of the twenty one races it entered 1969 through 1971. The only Gulf Porsche 917 to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans was the one driven in Steve McQueen's "Le Mans" movie. His 917 from the movie was chassis # 022 and purchased in 1970, from the Porsche by Steve McQueen's movie production company, Solar Productions. It was also the company that would bring the movie "Le Mans" to the big screen. This is the car that McQueen's character, Michael Delaney, starts the race in, and "crashes" late in the race, "writing the car off." The car that was crashed was really a Lola T-70, painted and rebodied, to look like a 917. Many innovations in cinematography, were first tried in this movie. They even went so far, as to weld brackets to the front frame work of the 917, so they could mount a camera to shoot Steve, and the other drivers, in the cockpit. I'm debating about replacing the #22 with #5 to represent the Mastercase 5. 

mastercase_5_pro_clear_side_window_panel

Display the hardware in your Cooler Master MasterCase Pro & 5 with the "Easy PC Mastercase Window Panel" It allows a full view inside your PC without any obstructions. "Easy PC Window Panel" is professionally laser cut from 1/8" thick 100% cast acrylic. It has embedded magnets to make installation and removal fast and easy. The window panel is the same size as the factory steel panel for the Cooler Master MasterCase Pro & 5.

gulf_porsche_2_cooler_master_mastercase_

The Mastercase 5 chassis and exterior parts before prepping them with Red Scotchbrite for our custom paint finish. I will be utilizing House of Kolor and PPG products. 

gulf_porsche_1_gigabyte_GA_Z170X_SOC_For

Here is the hardware I'd like to use for the "Mastercase Racing" Gaming PC build, but my budget may have to be limited for another personal project. I'd love the INTEL Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W processor to be our race car engine. My first choice of motherboard is GIGABYTE's GA-Z170X-SOC FORCE. It's touted as the ultimate Z170 "Super OverClock" solution from GIGABYTE. It also offers a vast array of user features that includes 22 phases of digital power, cool new OC Touch buttons, durable PCIe slots with metal trim. The SOC FORCE has a large heat sink layout with heat pipe dissipation system and water channel technology to incorporate hybrid cooling through air and liquid supply. This allows the VRMs and MOSFETs to stay cool under load when voltages are pushed high

gulf_porsche_1_corsair_dominator_DDR4_li

gulf_porsche_9n_cooler_master_mastercase

Brad is applying final coat of Gulf Racing Orange paint, this was custom mixed from specs for the 1970 Porsche 917 race car from Steve McQueen's movie, "Le Mans" We applied this paint to the EK radiator and misc Mastercase accessories

gulf_porsche_9o_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9p_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9q_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9r_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9s_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9t_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9u_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9v_cooler_master_mastercase

I'll be utilizing "5" as race number to represent Cooler Master's Mastercase 5

17 years of helping you void your warranty

I've been watching this on your Twitter. Man, I wish I could do stuff like that.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Damn... that's just dripping with awesome with a dash of nostalgia.

Thank you for watching, whats your twitter handle @DevilishBooster

Indeed, my mother had sewn a Gulf Racing patch on my demin jean jacket 40 years ago @WynLore

Porsche 917 inspired graphics are finished on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro. Next stage is clearcoating everything.

gulf_porsche_9y_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9z_cooler_master_mastercase

@Mnpctech it's the same as here. @DevilishBooster You've actually replied to a few tweets of mine. ^_^

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

20 minutes ago, Mnpctech said:

Thank you for watching, whats your twitter handle @DevilishBooster

Indeed, my mother had sewn a Gulf Racing patch on my demin jean jacket 40 years ago @WynLore

Porsche 917 inspired graphics are finished on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro. Next stage is clearcoating everything.

gulf_porsche_9y_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9z_cooler_master_mastercase

That's gonna go from zero to a hundred REAL QUICK once its done.

WOW!!! This is an amazing build. As a car enthusiast and Porsche fanatic, this is incredible! Can't wait to see it fully assembled! :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

wow the 917 is my second favorite racing Porsche this looks great  

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I. Love. It. 

What a great idea! The color scheme is amazing! I love the 917.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Thank you for watching and commenting everybody!

gulf_porsche_7_cooler_master_mastercase_

The front I/O panel on the Cooler Master Mastercase 5 / Pro is a bit bland for this theme. I decided to modify it with something that looks more "race car" appropriate. I'll start with steel face plate and chose some switches and controls from Mnpctech that include a red "Fighter Pilot" with momentary toggle for Main Power. The reset will be blue anodized vandal resistant push. I also found a VDO brand 12 volt gauge from the center console of a Volkswagen Rabbit GTI. I'd love to find some mounting bezels for 5mm LEDs for Power & HD activity.

gulf_porsche_8_cooler_master_mastercase_

The switches will be mounted with Mnpctech's billet vandal switch mounting plate. Here is all of the custom switch and toggle parts with links to their product pages. Mnpctech is the only source for "Military Pilot" Toggle switches modified for use with your custom PC. Fighter Pilot / Race Car Ignition Toggle Start with red cover, http://mnpctech.com/bulgin-modmytoys-computer-pc-power-reset-switch-mounting-plates-vandal-anti-resitant-lamptron/

spst_toggle_pc_computer_install_guide_po

blue_anodized_bulgin_lamptron_mod_toy_va

Order blue vandal switch for your PC power or reset, http://mnpctech.com/bulgin-modmytoys-computer-pc-power-reset-switch-mounting-plates-vandal-anti-resitant-lamptron

SPST (Push for Momentary, IP-67 rated, CMP #MP19S-F10, Flush Flat Button, Metal Body, SPST-NO, Push button switch. Mounts in a 3/4" hole. Contacts Rated 5A @ 110VAC, 5A @ 220VAC. Compression screw Terminals. VDE/CE listed, RoHS Compliant.

lamptron.delrin.bulgin.silvervandalswitc

Order Mnpctech Pro-Line Two switch mounting plate, http://mnpctech.com/bulgin-modmytoys-computer-pc-power-reset-switch-mounting-plates-vandal-anti-resitant-lamptron/

Mounting plate has 22mm hole and 16mm hole. It fits Bulgin, Delrin, Lamptron, and ModMyToy Vandal Resistant Switches. Machined by Mnpctech in 6061 billet aluminum. Length = 3.5" x Width = 1.5" x Thickness = 3/16" Bulgin Mounting Plate Includes: 4, 6/32 x 3/4"screws and nuts.

gulf_porsche_9a_cooler_master_mastercase

Replace your PC Power or PC Reset button with this Blue Anodized Vandal Resistant Switch. Made of Nickel Plated Brass.

gulf_porsche_9b_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9c_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9d_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9e_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9f_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9g_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9h_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_9i_cooler_master_mastercase

gulf_porsche_vdo_cooler_master_mastercas

LED_5mm_holder_black_darkside_superbrigh

darkside_5mm_sleeved_led_gaming_pc_compu

Darkside 5mm pre-sleeved custom PC LEDS, http://mnpctech.com/pc-led-lights/

darkside_5mm_superbright_sleeved_led_gam

gulf_porsche_vdo2_cooler_master_masterca

gulf_porsche_vdo3_cooler_master_masterca

gulf_porsche_vdo4_cooler_master_masterca

The upper portion of the black base for the RED Toggle Switch will be shortened later. 

Amazing!! Looking forward to further updates

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

Bill, you always make awesome stuff! Diggin it!

I like good humans and good food

Woooooooow! 

That front panel face plate is raaaaad! Love how you set it up.The Volt gauge also has a old/retro looking font to it too,matches perfectly.

Can you promise me a gif of how you turn it on because I must sence the satisfaction of turning on a pc like that!!!

One thing I absolutely hate about this case is the IO. I love how you have made it seem more important.

Great work, I love the theme and colours! 

How many special people change?
How many lives are livin' strange?
Where were you while we were getting high?

Glad you like direction I'm taking this build, cant wait to finish it! Thank you for watching and commenting!

Parts laid out with final clear coat. Time to pop rivet!

gulf_porsche_9z1_cooler_master_mastercas

gulf_porsche_9z2_cooler_master_mastercas

gulf_porsche_9z3_cooler_master_mastercas

gulf_porsche_9z4_cooler_master_mastercas

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_1_cool

PC_chassis_black_3_replace_pop_rivet_siz

Black Powdercoated 1/8" Pop Rivets, http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/pc-pop-rivets/

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_2_cool

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_3_cool

gulf_porsche_9z5_black_pop_rivets_4_cool

awesome xD

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Nice work Bill, love the paint.

Question: If you do the paint right does it not chip when you tighten screws down on it? A lot of my paint keeps chipping around where I have to put screws in.(even thumbscrews) My painting technique is better than it used to be but I probably could have sanded the areas around the screws more.

1 minute ago, Necrodead said:

Nice work Bill, love the paint.

Question: If you do the paint right does it not chip when you tighten screws down on it? A lot of my paint keeps chipping around where I have to put screws in.(even thumbscrews) My painting technique is better than it used to be but I probably could have sanded the areas around the screws more.

Not to jump in @Mnpctech's shoes here, but what kind of primer/paint are you using, and how think are you layering it?

END OF LINE

10 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Not to jump in @Mnpctech's shoes here, but what kind of primer/paint are you using, and how think are you layering it?

Rustoleum painters touch primer, 2 or 3 layers, rather light, then gloss topcoat, applied 'wet' to get a good glossy effect. I did not use a clearcoat on most of the smaller pieces, but I did get chipping on the parts I put clearcoat on as well. The parts I polished and waxed had a better resistance to chipping, but it seemed to happen anyways. I pre-sanded with 600grit.