What can I do with someones IP address?

Hello everyone!

I was wondering, what can I do with someone IP address? Can I obtain a MAC address when I have an IP address?

- Does NAT matter? (I assume it does, since I simply get the IP address from the modem, not the specific device)

- Is there some way to access a PC (or Mac) filesystem using their IP? (SSH is not enabled, I only need a command line)

- Do I have to be connected to the same network as my "target"?

Now you may be wondering, why do I want to know this. And to be honest, there are multiple reasons:

- Curiosity

- I'm doing a year work about internet privacy for school. I want to show them something impressive during my presentation. (I know you won't believe this, but it's true)

- You know, it's just nice to know. ;)

Whatever you choose to believe, It would be nice if people could give me some information, or point me to some resources online.

Thanks in advance!!!

(I know about the TCP/IP stack, and how IP addresses work, it's just that I don't really know how to start "hacking")

4 minutes ago, h3rm3s said:

Within the same network? Or a separate network?

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Within the same network? Or a separate network?

Ideally, separate networks, but I can make it work within the same network (school network).

most of the stuff you can do with it is illegal

you'll have to do your research somewhere else

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

DOS, DDOS

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

Just now, DXMember said:

I am aware of the fact that it is illegal. In Belgium, we don't really care about the law, but I assume that in other countries, people care. (neighbouring nations, do). Sad to hear this is not the place to ask for information on this topic.

Cybrary  is a good website to learn about Ethical hacking

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

You can write it down on a piece of paper.
You can type it down in a notepad document.
You can remember that number.
You can forget that number.
You can do math with that number.
You can publish that number.
You can give that IP to anyone you want.
You can put that IP in your firewall's block list.
You can do a lot of things with someone's IP address and no....as you can see I did not tell you you can find out where they are from because that is one thing you CAN'T do with an IP.

Just now, GetShrektMrKrabs said:

you trying to DDOS your teacher or something? o.O

No, not DDOSing. I want to access a file system of a computer in school during my presentation. I want to show my class m8tes. I don't want to destroy any network or bring a connection down.

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Informative talk is not illegal. If it can be done everyone should know it for educational reasons, and when more people know it faster the problem will be solved.

Just now, GetShrektMrKrabs said:

unless there is sensitive data in that file system then that is different

No, I'm going to ask my teacher to choose a PC in the school, he can choose if he'd like to expose sensitive data to me. But I'm in a school where all grades and important numbers are still kept physically, on a sheet of paper. I doubt any of my teachers know how to use Google Spreadsheets, or similar technology. :)

i guess you can ddos someone if it is for "educational" purposes. just don't be surprised when the cops are knocking at your door.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

You cannot hack the schools computers under any circumstances. The teacher does not have that authority. It would have to go through the IT department, then any higher up chain of command. Your basically asking on how to break into a system with an IP, which with certain programs is potentially able to be done if you have the time.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

You cannot hack the schools computers under any circumstances. The teacher does not have that authority. It would have to go through the IT department, then any higher up chain of command. Your basically asking on how to break into a system with an IP, which with certain programs is potentially able to be done if you have the time.

My school doesn't have an IT department. I'm in a Steiner School. I assume you don't know what this is, so let me explain. A Steiner School is a school that teaches based on the theories of Rudolf Steiner, a German Philosopher. A thing Steiner Schools are know for (at least in Belgium) is for being anti-technology and anti-science. My school doesn't have an IT department because according to my school, computers shouldn't be in the hands of 15 year old kids (like me). Now you can imagine why I chose internet privacy as a topic for my year work, I like technology, so I get to use it at home (I also program, so I use it anyways, but now I have an excuse), and the Steiner teachers like my work because it gives critique on the internet.

I don't think just having an IP address is that special.  Apparently literally every address has been used so you could literally just guess any set of numbers and it would be someone's IP.  

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.