Configure my WiFi as best as possible

Mr Fister

Hello i would like your assistance to get the max out of my WiFi connection to the house. Details- i got a D-Link N600 Series 6850U Router. And a 40MB internet connection speed.

I did change the channel to 13 as its best rated from Wifi Analyzer.

how can i configure my setting?:

x36zk0.png

Thanks! 

Gaming Laptop: Dell G5 5587

oh noes, D-LINK GUI!! :(

j/k. I recommended those routers about 4 years ago. They've aged abit.

The best settings: 

- Well, first off I have to dissapoint you. There's no knob that can amplify the WiFi signal all the way to your compost heap in the back of the garden.

- WiFi is a standard that is limited in power.

There are some tips and tricks tho.

First you gotta understand how not to configure your router: :) 

- WiFi comes in two frequencies: 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz.

- Every damn frikkin' wireless device these days works on that 2.4GHz, also reffered to as the 'sh1t'-band. Neighbour's WiFi, Baby Monitors, sensors, automatic garages, bluetooth, ZigBee, headphones, microwaves, car alarm, Electromagnetic interference, ........ more on that here: http://www.wired.com/2010/09/wireless-explainer/

- You have 3 non overlapping channels on that 2.4 sh1t-band: 1 - 6 - 11 Linus made a video about it: 

On a sidenote:

A mathimatical problem originating from the 19th century: How many colours does someone need to colour a map of Europe or the World, so neighbouring countries get a different colour so that every country is distinguished? Answer: 4 colours, proven in the 20th century. Wiki: Four color theorem. This applies to WiFi aswell. So we need 4 different channels to pass every WiFi signal on the 2.4GHz band, but we only have three? Faulty design + all the other wireless crap.

Check this WiFi analyser screenshot I took from an appartmentbloc in Blankenberge, Belgium. (holiday-coastal area):

Y'all have sick WiFi Yo

Well: Lo and behold: 5GHz

- The god-band, interference free, WiFi N and WiFi AC with Beamforming and AC wave 2 with more channel width.

- Due to it's higher frequency it impairs faster then 2.4GHz. Range is slightly less.

- Transfer speeds are higher. I get a record 190.95Mbs in my Kitchen, while the router is in the next room (bragging rights are mine :D)

So you have to split the SSID it sends out?

- Yes, it's a client's and a router's (bandsteering) decision to connect to the router via 2.4 or 5.0GHz. And not every device has 5.0GHz antenna's or have them but don't use them (PS4 hahah)! Some laptops being sold today still don't. Smartphones like: HUWAWEIIIIIIIIIItrashcan...

- If you have 70Mbs+ internet connection, this is really noticable: 2.4GHz and you'll remain around 40-60Mbs, 5.0GHz and your device will go 70Mbs and up. Wifi N is theoretically 144Mbs, (i've seen a record 133Mbs on a Samsung Galaxy S5), WiFi ac goes way higher.

- And I think that's all you need for the most beefy settings. Split the SSID, your router is 5GHz capable, test it out, use WiFi analyzer or inSSIDer for pc, use speedtest.net from Ookla (also a free app in the iTunes store, Google play store).

All this crap I already knew and can I broaden the channel width (bandwith) etc?

- Try it, run a speedtest before and after, do a range test before and after.

- Highly unrecommended to put 80MHz as a default Bandwith, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, most routers can't handle this correctly anyway.

Leave everything auto, disabled and default tbh unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

10 hours ago, macu said:

Is bumping like that allowed? (Kinda new here)

Okey, so you can use a Wifi Analyze (on your phone for example) and see that there are no other Networks in channel 13 and the channels below? (11-13)

You should be good with those WiFi Options. (Do you have a 20/40MHz or a 40MHz Option in Bandwith?)
What are Speedtests saying?

i got 40/3 mb  

2 hours ago, macu said:

The most common way to improve your WiFi stability is to scan your sourrounding 2.4GHz Channels an take the one which has the least traffic on it. But just as Belgiangurista said, you will not have a *magic speed boost* knob.

Are you familiar with the inSSIDer Software ?

Do you have speed or stability isssues?

I can wideley agree with what Belgiangurista said, you need to read a bit about this if you want to improve anything correctly and not make it worse.
Also, it is very difficult to improve your Wireless *speed* by adjusting those settings.

Try to make sure that your device is near your Router and is connected via 5GHz. You would need to make multiple Speedtest and Connectivity checks through your house.

i have no issues.. only want to benifet the best outta my Wifi