GPU companies to stay away from?

Kickflapper

I have had great experiences with EVGA.....are there any brands or companies that maybe don't have the best quality or secondary poor customer service when I am buying a video card/ service warranty? I kinda was under the impression they were all the same (reference models aside).

NVIDIA

asus, evga, msi, gigabyte are the top choices. they are all good

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

basically, if you've never heard the name of a gpu company, do some research before buying. that's my rule. Almost every big card manufacturer (like MSI, EVGA, gigabit etc. ) has an ok to very good rep. so you should be good if you stick with big manufacturers

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Just now, JelleDekkers said:

NVIDIA

please shut the full cup tyvm.

on topic: i always buy from retailers that have their own warranty mechanisms to not have to deal with some overseas floaty tek sappurt, so i cant say much on that part.

beyond that, all of the GPU brands have their strong point, and their weak spots.

it also depends on the gpu model. ive heard that asus and gigabyte make some poor 300 series amd cards

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

GPU companies?

you mean AMD and nVidia ... riight

Manufacturers, not developers/designers/architects.

---

They're all pretty much the same, ngl. People will fuss about how Zotac's had less adhesive or how MSI's fan was about 1.5% louder, but it doesn't really matter to anyone but an absolute enthusiast.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I've had a lot of problems in the past with PALIT branded GPUs, not sure of their overall quality but I keep finding they're better than ASUS.

I wouldn't  touch Asus cards or Gigabyte cards on the AMD side with a ten foot pole.

Little bit of an overstatement, but those are on the bottom of my list usually, but I always look at the specific product, I dont shop for a brand.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Manufacturers, not developers/designers/architects.

---

They're all pretty much the same, ngl. People will fuss about how Zotac's had less adhesive or how MSI's fan was about 1.5% louder, but it doesn't really matter to anyone but an absolute enthusiast.

"GPU companies"

AMD and nVidia manufacture discrete GPUs

GigaByte, XFX, EVGA, ASUS, Sapphire, the rest - they manufacture video cards

GPU ≠ video card

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

"GPU companies"

AMD and nVidia manufacture discrete GPUs

GigaByte, XFX, EVGA, ASUS, Sapphire, the rest - they manufacture video cards

GPU ≠ video card

Technicalities will be technicalities.

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

2 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Technicalities will be technicalities.

it's not a "technicality"

when you ask what GPU company to stay away from, you have only two options: AMD or nVidia

you kinda' can add Intel, but they don't manufacture dGPUs

---

when you ask what video card manufacturer to stay away from? well .. the top choice would be ASUS

1 hour ago, Kickflapper said:

I have had great experiences with EVGA.....are there any brands or companies that maybe don't have the best quality or secondary poor customer service when I am buying a video card/ service warranty? I kinda was under the impression they were all the same (reference models aside).

Msi and Evga are the ones to go for great support. 

Gigabyte and Asus have been pretty shit in support lately. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Msi and Evga are the ones to go for great support. 

Gigabyte and Asus have been pretty shit in support lately. 

The local Asus customer support wouldn't even service or replace my 970, regardless if I had the receipt and the proper documents. Thus why I had to bake my card.

That said, though. The store that it was bought from would service and/or replace it, provided I have the receipt. Since I got it as a gift and it didn't come with the receipt (the person who gave it to me can't find it either), yeah... Asus is a dick.

52 minutes ago, zMeul said:

when you ask what GPU company to stay away from, you have only two options: AMD or nVidia

Common knowledge is that AMD and NVIDIA design and invent/design new chips, and that ASUS/Zotac/Gigabyte manufacture them from a reference card, which, in fairness, is manufacturered by the first-party. The technicality is that they are both manufacturers to the reach the end product, so differnet parts, as you've mentioned. Maybe it's more of a correction to you than it is a technicallity to me.

Also, intel has this, not sure if it's a "GPU" though.

8 minutes ago, Crowes said:

Also, intel has this, not sure if it's a "GPU" though.

that's a co-processor

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's a co-processor

thanks.

1 hour ago, Kickflapper said:

you really did bake you card..like linus ?

Yes, and it worked out well.

ASUS and Gigabyte.

3 minutes ago, WynLore said:

Yes, and it worked out well.

Your card is going to die again within a few months, and since you baked it without flux it's going to be much worse next time it breaks. Sorry :(

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

---

when you ask what video card manufacturer to stay away from? well .. the top choice would be ASUS

nobody_cares.png?w=723

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

ASUS and Gigabyte.

Your card is going to die again within a few months, and since you baked it without flux it's going to be much worse next time it breaks. Sorry :(

I got it for free anyways. I don't have much to lose. Plus I've got a friend who has a 670 that got baked once (more than a year ago) and it still works to this day. Mind you, he bought it on the day it came out.

18 minutes ago, WynLore said:

I got it for free anyways. I don't have much to lose. Plus I've got a friend who has a 670 that got baked once (more than a year ago) and it still works to this day. Mind you, he bought it on the day it came out.

Well it tends to oxidize even more when you bake it so while solves the problem temporarily, in reality the solder is only touching and not properly flowed together so after it oxidizes more it will lose contact wherever it was damaged but on a much greater scale. It may take weeks, months, even years but it's highly likely to happen.