980ti Darwin Awards: Help

Zanderlinde

Sorry for your video card loss. But this was a good laugh to read. xD

On 3/8/2016 at 11:34 PM, Zanderlinde said:

I'm of a d.i.y. nature. Usually I'm able to fix shit. Obviously this is a level above any rational person to try. But you live and you learn. Emphasis on the learn. Thanks for the mockery guys, keep it up :)

Eh. I'm not sure you deserve mockery. You learned your lesson :P 

And you provided me with a laugh. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

To be fair, he did encourage the mockery in his OP. 

Also, I'd need significantly more than one beer to forget if I did something like this.

k a few things

1) PCBs of computer components are not double sided, they usually have 5-10 layers

even if there are no traces on the surface there will pretty much always be some underneath

2) the card was 100% dead the moment you drilled that hole, there is no way to repair that kind of damage

everyone saying it could be repaired is wrong

3) putting the screwdriver in there was quite dangerous, you could have killed your motherboard or CPU too

4) snapping the card in half just prevents someone from putting a nice GPU on their wall

the card was impossible to repair in the first place, so snapping it cant make it worse

5) make a keychain out of the GPU die? :) I see people doing it with CPUs but not GPUs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Everyone going on and on about the GPU, but nobody gonna comment on his mismatched memory? That's the real sin here. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

HOW DO PEOPLE EVEN DO THIS TO THEIR HARDWARE???

Linus is my fetish.

23 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

To be fair, he did encourage the mockery in his OP. 

Concur.  But just in case it was getting to him is all.

This is definitely a troll post. Can someone ban the op troll?

5 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

We all screw up sometimes.

Why

19 minutes ago, Malakus said:

This is definitely a troll post. Can someone ban the op troll?

I... That would be really dumb. Ban somebody for something like this?

This post hurts. I am going to cry in bed cuddling my 770.

Lol what an idiot. This is what happens when you watch Linus half ass everything. Kids start to think it will work for them. 

11 hours ago, Codyman125 said:

Here's the best question yet... Even IF drilling would have worked... why on earth would you drill the card instead of the cooler mounting plate?

You can't drill the bracket instead because on the bracket is a standoff with a threaded hole for the screw to thread into. 

That being said; this bracket wasn't meant for this card (designed for reference cards and this is a non-reference PCB), so they shouldn't have even tried to make it work in the first place. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's funny because OP dun goofed on so many levels.

First of all, he cheaped out $30 on the case and made his own tiny case that doesn't look good at all. Or he could even get a free one on gumtree, there were tons of possibilities to get a standard ATX for a very little money or even free. 

Then he went for the most expensive graphics card and tried to stick it into the case.

Turned out that the case was bad not only looks-wise but also didnt even have space for standard parts. 

So instead of thinking twice and just going for a normal case he decided to mess around with some 3rd party coolers.

He bought a 3rd party cooler that didn't match his card (hell even the company name didnt match). And he assumed that it should work even though it was literally a different company and stuff. 

And instead of re-thinking everything all over again or at least buying the correct cooler, he went ahead and drilled a f**king hole in a super expensive piece of technology.

And then he finally topped it up with frying the entire board with a screwdriver for god knows what reason.

He could literally avoid all of that if he got an used old crap $20 ATX case from craigslist or gumtree.

How can you go through all of that without realising that you might be doing something wrong and there could be an easier way?

I mean he had enough cash to buy a $1000 card but not enough to get the cheapest possible used case?

I dont even...

Haha, you've certainly made it into Darwin Awards, though I am sorry that it happened :D

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

WTF happend here

You could have sold it for a small amount of money on ebay before you snapped it in half

Next time you want to try something crazy on expensive hardware > zip ties or even tape/bluetack/chewing gum. anything is better than drilling through a multilayer pcb not knowing the inner layer layout

Socket 775 overclocking enthusiast

On 3/8/2016 at 4:47 AM, Zanderlinde said:

P.S.  I did read the instructions. Many times. There are four threaded holes with standoffs to connect the bracket to the card. One of those holes didnt have that standoff, and was WAY misaligned with the hole on the card. I installed the card initially and ran it without that bolt on. But my pc crashed when I opened any gpu intensive task. Which I finally figured out was because that missing bolt allowed the cooler to rise off the gpu on one corner, so it wasn't making contact. It would jump to 100 degrees then crash my monitor. This was the only solution I came up with. Next time, i'm just gonna call the manufacturer and ask.

why didnt you make a bracket? so it could hold it in place?? 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}