friend has a single RJ45 but needs more

threee6

the title says it all really, friends office has 1 RJ45 (coming from downstairs) and he need more, is there any way/anything i can use, to make it so there are more connections from the single cable? 

as you may have realised i know sod all about networking lol 

Thanks in advance. threeee6

I think in this scenario a simple switch will suffice.
Don't buy a hub, they're ancient and crap.

Also it might be worth the googling if you're interested about technology(networking).

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

You can buy one of these: http://store-ca.linksys.com/en-ca/Switches_stcVVcatId554191VVviewcat.htm

Whatever one has the amount of ports you need.

The way I like to explain a switch is that it is kind of like a splitter for RJ45/ethernet cables.

All you will have to do is plug the current cable into the input port in the back and then all of the other ports will be outputs.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

A switch would be the way to go, one example would be:

http://youtu.be/qFscP0AjbW4

If you're interested in learning more have a look at this:

http://youtu.be/TNpEIqq77Fk

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

I think technovore is right. A simple switch will work well. You can pick up 8 port switches fairly cheep these days.

You can buy one of these: http://store-ca.linksys.com/en-ca/Switches_stcVVcatId554191VVviewcat.htm

Whatever one has the amount of ports you need.

The way I like to explain a switch is that it is kind of like a splitter for RJ45/ethernet cables.

All you will have to do is plug the current cable into the input port in the back and then all of the other ports will be outputs.

I feel the need to disagree!

A switch doesn't have single input and multiple output ports like a home and office router does.

A switch has a certain amount of ports which are all equal. it shouldn't matter in which port you plug which device.

Or am I wrong?

Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I feel the need to disagree!

A switch doesn't have single input and multiple output ports like a home and office router does.

A switch has a certain amount of ports which are all equal. it shouldn't matter in which port you plug which device.

Or am I wrong?

From my experience there is one input and multiple outputs

I might be wrong though

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I might be wrong though

It shouldn't matter what you port you plug into for consumer switches however for some business grade and higher they commonly have a uplink port that is faster IE fiber that is used to connect to a backbone or other switches. But for home use any port in the switch can be used. 

the title says it all really, friends office has 1 RJ45 (coming from downstairs) and he need more, is there any way/anything i can use, to make it so there are more connections from the single cable? 

as you may have realised i know sod all about networking lol 

Thanks in advance. threeee6

The best thing to do would be to use a switch. It is actually possible to wire an Ethernet cable so that it goes from 1 connector to 2 connectors on the same cable, but it's a horrible idea and should not be done (although some companies sell such cables).

I recommend a switch with gigabit ports if you plan on transferring files between your computers. It shouldn't cost you more than like 50 bucks for a ~6 port one.

econ.gif

A bit of nitpicking: It's actually not an RJ45 connector. Ethernet cables uses an 8P8C connector which is very very similar to RJ45 (which is why even a lot of manuals will incorrectly advertise the 8P8C connector as RJ45), but they are different.

Also, you don't have to put your username at the end of your post. We can see your username right above your profile picture.

Or am I wrong?

No you're right.

I might be wrong though

You're thinking of routers people have at home. Those routers have 1 "routing" port and then the rest of the ports are switch ports. A true switch have identical ports*.

*Some switches like enterprise grade ones might have different kinds of ports but they are all "switch ports", so it doesn't matter which ones you use, unlike a home router.

It shouldn't matter what you port you plug into for consumer switches however for some business grade and higher they commonly have a uplink port that is faster IE fiber that is used to connect to a backbone or other switches. But for home use any port in the switch can be used. 

Yes and no. While they often do have ports that are faster and should be used for linking network equipment together, there is nothing stopping you from plugging a computer to one of the fiber ports, and then use a normal FastEthernet port to connect the switch to another switch. It's not a good idea, but it would work.

• 2 weeks later...

I think in this scenario a simple switch will suffice.

Don't buy a hub, they're ancient and crap.

Also it might be worth the googling if you're interested about technology(networking).

Another thing about hubs is that it is a single Collision Domain and it is a very unstable platform, always choose a switch over a hub because on a switch each port is a Collision Domain, and your entire network will not come to a very quick halt if there is a collision.

I would personally go for a enterprise option but for a average consumer i would recommend either the 8-port Western Digital switch or the small 5-port Netgear switch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833146002 - WD switch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005 - Netgear

Do they even sell hubs anymore?

I think I saw one somewhere a few months ago in some local electronics store.

Chivalry isn't dead!