Monitor Overclocking - Is it Safe?

CobbleWalker

So I've got this monitor, and was looking to overclock it. I often see Linus Overclocking monitors, and I was just wondering, how safe is it? I really love overclocking everything I get my hands on, but I just wanted your opinion on this matter before I start overclocking.

Ps: If it is safe, any tips/programs I should use for overclocking monitors on a r9 380?

Thanks,

CobbleWalker

Overclocking your monitor will reduce the life of it.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Just now, Vercii said:

To what extent?

It's safe for the most part. Just like any overclocking, your running it past the guaranteed working speed so there is always inherent risk involved.

I run my 29" LG ultrawide (29UB55-B) at 75Hz for the past few months with zero issues.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It's as safe as any other form of overclocking. Only thing is it may cause some coil whine.

I ran my old Dell Insperon AiO at 75 Hz with no issues

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Just now, AdamIsaacLang said:

It's safe for the most part. Just like any overclocking, your running it past the guaranteed working speed so there is always inherent risk involved.

I run my 29" LG ultrawide at 75Hz for the past few months with zero issues.

Just now, niofalpha said:

It's as safe as any other form of overclocking. Only thing is it may cause some coil whine.

2 minutes ago, Vercii said:

Do you think a 75hz overclock would be ok?

Just now, CobbleWalker said:

Do you think a 75hz overclock would be ok?

Depends on the monitor and panel. My Dell's (S2340M, IPS panel) only allow 65Hz before Dell says no more. My LG ultrawide (29UB55-B) doesn't care, it pops up a massage saying that it's not officially supported but lets you go as far as the panel can. My ultra wide IPS can only do 75Hz.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Just now, AdamIsaacLang said:

Depends on the monitor and panel. My Dell's (S2340M, IPS panel) only allow 65Hz before Dell says no more. My LG ultrawide (29UB55-B) doesn't care, it pops up a massage saying that it's not officially supported but lets you go as far as the panel can. My ultra wide IPS can only do 75Hz.

Oke, thanks!

Depending on the silicon lottery you can either overclock by 3hz or 15hz (on average) and the lifespan reduction is equally a lottery. Personally... I don't think it is worth it. A few fps isn't going to be a major improvement but it could easily cause major issues like lifespan reduction/noise/crashes/ect.

I've never seen actual proof of overclocking reducing lifespan of anything if voltages and temperatures aren't extreme.

So as long as those are reasonable, as far as I'm concerned you can overclock anything and it won't have any lifespan impact, and if it does it would be minute.

People say overclocking reduces lifespan, yet there's people with full throttle GPU's and CPU's for 5+ years without issue, because they keep their temps and voltages in recommended and safe operating ranges.

My 4690k has been at a fixed voltage and clock for a year and a half now, with no stability or performance decrease, nor ever requiring more voltage for stability, it's still like day 1.

Figured I'd figure out for myself if it would destroy its lifespan since nobody actually has any proof of anything anywhere, just assumptions of "common sense", which isn't good enough for me to agree.

I'm sure it will hurt its lifespan more than not, but we could be talking like a 0.1% impact. Nobody has an actual fucking clue.

Haven't had my monitor OC'd for too long, but its not really hot and I didn't adjust any timing from defaults, literally changed 1 setting, so it shouldn't really have any impact at all.

As long as temps and voltages are reasonable and it's stable, the sky is the limit for anything.

5 minutes ago, Hunched said:

I've never seen actual proof of overclocking reducing lifespan of anything if voltages and temperatures aren't extreme.

So as long as those are reasonable, as far as I'm concerned you can overclock anything and it won't have any lifespan impact, and if it does it would be minute.

People say overclocking reduces lifespan, yet there's people with full throttle GPU's and CPU's for 5+ years without issue, because they keep their temps and voltages in recommended and safe operating ranges.

My 4690k has been at a fixed voltage and clock for a year and a half now, with no stability or performance decrease, nor ever requiring more voltage for stability, it's still like day 1.

Figured I'd figure out for myself if it would destroy its lifespan since nobody actually has any proof of anything anywhere, just assumptions of "common sense", which isn't good enough for me to agree.

It is basic science. The higher the charge you run through the device the more it will wear it out and the more you will have to increase the charge over time to maintain the same, or any connection. I'm not saying it won't last 5 years but if you don't overclock it then it will last longer. Once again how long it lasts is pure luck. A good one with a reasonable overclock could last as long as a crappier one with no overclock. On the other hand a crappier one with an overclock could die fairly quickly. It is all pure luck and typically not covered under the warranty.

Also stable gains over 15fps that last a decent length of time are rare and to me 60 to 75 fps is hardly noticeable so I personally wouldn't bother.

4 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

It is basic science. The higher the charge you run through the device the more it will wear it out and the more you will have to increase the charge over time to maintain the same, or any connection. I'm not saying it won't last 5 years but if you don't overclock it then it will last longer. Once again how long it lasts is pure luck. A good one with a reasonable overclock could last as long as a crappier one with no overclock. On the other hand a crappier one with an overclock could die fairly quickly. It is all pure luck and typically not covered under the warranty.

Also stable gains over 15fps that last a decent length of time are rare and to me 60 to 75 fps is hardly noticeable so I personally wouldn't bother.

Yes, but for how much of an impact that has on degradation nobody seems to have any number for.

It might be that turning your PC on and off every day would cause more degradation than overclocking.

The world longest lit light bulb has been running for about 115 years, they always leave it on, I guarantee if they turned it off and on every day it would soon die from the stress powering on creates.

I think people overestimate just how much overclocking reduces the lifespan of components, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't have any numbers either.

• 8 months later...
On 3/2/2016 at 11:22 PM, Wolf_Lbh said:

I know this thread is old but I have to point out that this is just wrong.  When components are made manufacturers have to decide on a standard clock, frequency, what have you for every component to use.  For example all reference R9 290 video cards have the exact same core clock and memory clock even though each card can technically achieve different clocks.  The same of course applies to monitors and each one should have a different maximum.  Increasing some arbitrary number forced unto every panel is not going to reduce the life of a monitor.  What could reduce the life of a monitor, as previously mentioned, is heat and higher than expected voltages.  There is only so much you can overclock most monitors as they are not designed to be overclocked.  They don't used super-high end power delivery systems with a large amount of headroom like video cards do.  So long as you respect that, most monitors can get away with a small overclock with absolutely no negative impact.

3 hours ago, evernessince said:

I know this thread is old but I have to point out that this is just wrong.  When components are made manufacturers have to decide on a standard clock, frequency, what have you for every component to use.  For example all reference R9 290 video cards have the exact same core clock and memory clock even though each card can technically achieve different clocks.  The same of course applies to monitors and each one should have a different maximum.  Increasing some arbitrary number forced unto every panel is not going to reduce the life of a monitor.  What could reduce the life of a monitor, as previously mentioned, is heat and higher than expected voltages.  There is only so much you can overclock most monitors as they are not designed to be overclocked.  They don't used super-high end power delivery systems with a large amount of headroom like video cards do.  So long as you respect that, most monitors can get away with a small overclock with absolutely no negative impact.

Wrong. I was correct. The higher you run it above spec the more energy and heat it will use and the faster it will die. Saying you can increase it by 1 fps and not set anything on fire is technically true but why bother? It will literally make 0 impact.

On 11/17/2016 at 5:17 AM, Wolf_Lbh said:

Wrong. I was correct. The higher you run it above spec the more energy and heat it will use and the faster it will die. Saying you can increase it by 1 fps and not set anything on fire is technically true but why bother? It will literally make 0 impact.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:57 AM, evernessince said:

Well, as of now, I have it OC'd to 74.9, and everything been running fine. 

On 3/2/2016 at 11:22 PM, Wolf_Lbh said:

I had a problem with AMD drivers where sometimes my OC wouldn't apply without notice I and I could definitively tell it was off. Probably just turning into a refresh rate snob though.  

• 3 years later...

I managed to overclock my 2013 iMac running on Bootcamp and with an Nvidia card up to 100Hz from 60 today! Don't think I'll be doing it permanently though as I could risk reducing the lifespan :)

• 5 months later...

i know this thread is 4 years old but i literally overclocked my display from 60hz to 100hz.......... so there is a difference..... and thats why i wanna know if this actually kills it

On 11/17/2016 at 2:17 PM, Wolf_Lbh said:

• 3 weeks later...

I think the point of contention here is that while yes, basic science does imply that overclocking a display will have a negative impact on its life:

So will turning it on and off more frequently.

So will random manufacturing inconsistencies.

So will the temperature and humidity of the environment you use it in.

There are so many factors involved in exactly how long a display will last that the effect of a small overclock likely won't even register in the "noise"

I personally suspect that an overclock which is not drastically far off from spec and has been successfully replicated by multiple users of that display has less impact than the above examples.

Unless maximizing your display's lifetime is a higher priority than refresh rate there is little to no reason not to try and push a little extra out from your monitor. Just do so with the understanding you may be shaving an arbitrary amount of time off of the display's already arbitrary lifetime. I just don't believe that amount of time is going to be statistically significant or a point of concern for the majority of use cases.

• 4 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 3:51 AM, UnusualSky said:

i know this thread is 4 years old but i literally overclocked my display from 60hz to 100hz.......... so there is a difference..... and thats why i wanna know if this actually kills it

I have the same question. I have a panel that is a 144hz but I can overclock it past 200hz and am genuinely concerned as to whether the integrity of my monitor will hold up.