Steam Sale Bundles to reduce in price if you already own a game in the bundle

CGurrell

So it's nearly Steam Sale time again (cue images of empty wallets, PCs with built-in cash vortexes etc), and a lot of the time I find myself to already have a couple of the games in a bundle, yet still purchasing the bundle to get the other games included. This would normally cost the same whether or not I already owned a couple of games in the bundle, not any more! Valve have announced that Bundles will discount in price if you already own a game in them, so if Borderlands 2 comes around on sale again with all the DLC and you only own the base game, discount for you!... or maybe not.

Quoting the article: "Currently the system is only in place for a few bundles, and with an unclear future of when it could be rolled out to every bundle in their library, we just hope it’s done before the next Steam sale"

You guys got any thoughts? Leave a comment 

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/steam-bundles-will-discounted-game-bundle

EDIT: New information about this has come to light via Kit Guru. Apparently this system has not yet been announced by valve, but was discovered in an email. 

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/jon-martindale/steam-bundles-now-discount-titles-you-already-own/

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

this means that you will only be paying the difference between your collection and the bundle.

The way the article is worded makes it sound like if you buy a game and then later a bundle with the game in it goes on sale bringing the total price down to less than you paid for the game, you'll be able to grab the bundle for free, or maybe Valve will pay you :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The way the article is worded makes it sound like if you buy a game and then later a bundle with the game in it goes on sale bringing the total price down to less than you paid for the game, you'll be able to grab the bundle for free, or maybe Valve will pay you :D

I don't think this is the case, I imagine if there's a 5 game bundle and you have 2 games, you'll get 40% off the bundle price or something (obviously discount will be weighted towards more expensive games in a bundle, so if the bundle is Far Cry: Primal and 4 indie games, owning the indie games won't reduce the price by 80%).

I could be wrong though

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

6 minutes ago, CGurrell said:

I don't think this is the case, I imagine if there's a 5 game bundle and you have 2 games, you'll get 40% off the bundle price or something (obviously discount will be weighted towards more expensive games in a bundle, so if the bundle is Far Cry: Primal and 4 indie games, owning the indie games won't reduce the price by 80%).

I could be wrong though

Or they would just reduce the cost of the bundle by the current cost of the game you own (or the cost that the game is in that bundle).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They would not do it if it did not gain them profit.

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Or they would just reduce the cost of the bundle by the current cost of the game you own (or the cost that the game is in that bundle).

I dunno, sometimes a bundle will come out, say $40 for Borderlands 2 and all DLC, yet the current cost of Borderlands 2 will also be $40. I don't see them giving the DLC away for free. If they started reducing the prices of individual products as well as bundles, then the bundles themselves would be pointless as you could just buy everything separate for the same price, i.e. no benefit gained from purchasing bundle

This sounds like what Apple appears to be doing with iOS app bundles.