Can't dual boot Win7 with Win10

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Hello! So I downloaded the official ISO for Windows 7 Ultimate from a legit site. Anyways, today I burned the .iso image to a DVD and after double clicking it, if opens up the screen to install windows 7.

But the problem is, I can't install it in my any other drives. It shows me some error. And also, if I try to install it in the C drive, it says that my old windows file will be renamed old and I won't be able to use the Old Windows (Windows 10 in this case). What do I do? I want to dual boot this PC with Windows 7. I have Windows 10.

Here are some pics:

error.jpg.e6e9555615cb3abedd61631272543c

56d4377397fe6_windowserror.jpg.4a0335cb5

Please help me! 

windows error.jpg

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Have you tried to do the Windows install with every other drive disconnected, even go so far as to reset the CMOS too?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

3 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Have you tried to do the Windows install with every other drive disconnected, even go so far as to reset the CMOS too?

Nope. Haven't done that. Will try that in a while.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Use rufus, set it to what you want the filesystem to be ie GPT for UEFI or MBR for UEFI etc, selct the image file and let it write it to the USB. Make a partition if you don't already have one ready. Reboot the PC, if you have the option choose "boot from" when it posts. If not, then enter the BIOS and set it to boot from the USB, let it do it's thing :) select the new partition or the one you had ready when it asks where you want to install it to

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

seems like you have to convert the disk you want to install W7 on from MBR to GPT 

here's a guide: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/convert-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk.htm

but, I found a problem with having W10 and W7 on the same system, on different disks even

my setup, I select from BIOS what disk to boot

the problem is that apparently the NTFS filesystem on W10 is not 100% compatible with W7's - what happens is that when I return to W7 the chkdsk will immediately find stuff to fix on the W10 drive

41 minutes ago, zMeul said:

seems like you have to convert the disk you want to install W7 on from MBR to GPT 

here's a guide: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/convert-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk.htm

but, I found a problem with having W10 and W7 on the same system, on different disks even

my setup, I select from BIOS what disk to boot

the problem is that apparently the NTFS filesystem on W10 is not 100% compatible with W7's - what happens is that when I return to W7 the chkdsk will immediately find stuff to fix on the W10 drive

so what should I do? 

COMING SOON

25 minutes ago, ANUPLUCIFERGAMER said:

so what should I do? 

remove the drives, other than the one you want to install W7 on and install W7 on it

what I do when I want to go back and forth between OSes, I unplug the power from the other drive

The problem is that you have Windows 7 that doesn't fully support UEFI. and Windows 10 does. So you either need to disable UEFI for legacy OS, and enable CSM, and format everything and install Windows 7, and 10. or do like zMeul suggests

Nevermind what I had posted, my info was out of date, sorry.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

@zMeul I converted my HDD to GPT. I forgot to metion this, My case is mini-ITX. And I had an old 1TB HDD. I couldn't connect it to this PC, so i got a External HDD Dock and connected the drive using USB. So that I could use it like any other internal drive.

After converting it to GPT, I made a new partition, again converted it to GPT and again started the setup. This time how ever, it shows the same image( the first image in my Original Post up^^). But the error is shortened to:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk.Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through USB or IEEE 1394 port".

COMING SOON

6 hours ago, ANUPLUCIFERGAMER said:

@zMeul I converted my HDD to GPT. I forgot to metion this, My case is mini-ITX. And I had an old 1TB HDD. I couldn't connect it to this PC, so i got a External HDD Dock and connected the drive using USB. So that I could use it like any other internal drive.

After converting it to GPT, I made a new partition, again converted it to GPT and again started the setup. This time how ever, it shows the same image( the first image in my Original Post up^^). But the error is shortened to:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk.Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through USB or IEEE 1394 port".

you cannot install Windows on a external drive, only on internal drives - you need to (have to) connect the HDD directly to the SATA ports

there is a possibility that it would work via eSATA with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6UM2ES7474&cm_re=esata_bracket-_-9SIA6UM2ES7474-_-Product

On 29/2/2016 at 11:38 PM, ANUPLUCIFERGAMER said:

Nope. Haven't done that. Will try that in a while.

Maybe you could also try Windows Home edition, as this is a totally different install to the one already on the machine or as investigation Windows 8.0 - 8.1 if you did not upgrade the WX OS from these earlier versions of Windows ?

OR

Even try an older installation say Win XP and upgrade that to Win7, although I could not get past the restriction in the BIOS imposed by the mobo manufacturer (am on the X99 platform) with a 64 bit version of XP, Vista may be different ?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).