Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Video Card Resurrection - Oven Method

All i wanna know is if it's alright for me to cook myself some chicken nuggets in the oven whilst at the same time trying this?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Yo nick I'm like 100% sure linus has done this video before right?

Quote me if you want me to reply.

Brand Blacklist: Gainward, Silverstone, Cougar, Gigabyte.

Just now, Fulgrim said:

All i wanna know is can i cook myself some chicken nuggets at the same time i try this?

As Linus mentions in the video, you SHOULD NOT do this in an oven in which you intend to cook food (either during the process as you mention, or after the process is complete). The potential for harmful chemicals to leak into your food is NOT worth the risk...

why is it unlisted lol

8700k @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 - GTX 1080ti - Corsair RMx850 - 2x 256gb 970Pro NVMe  - 16GB HyperX Black DDR4 - Acer 24" 240hz

Logitech G502 - Logitech Orion - Sennheiser HD598 SE

SpeedTest.net result

Just now, nicklmg said:

The potential for harmful chemicals to leak into your food is NOT worth the risk...

My need for chicken nuggets says otherwise. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1 minute ago, HatsuneMilku said:

Yo nick I'm like 100% sure linus has done this video before right?

Looks like he did one in 2010 but was unsuccessful.

Just now, ShadyHost said:

why is it unlisted lol

Videos (almost) always go to the forum a bit early.

Just now, nicklmg said:

As Linus mentions in the video, you SHOULD NOT do this in an oven in which you intend to cook food (either during the process as you mention, or after the process is complete). The potential for harmful chemicals to leak into your food is NOT worth the risk...

I did it myself with a 550 ti, these days they use non toxic solder so I used my normal kitchen oven. There are risks such as plastic and capacitors blowing though.

Here's linus's previous video haha.

He's using his kitchen oven.

Just now, nicklmg said:

ahh. I'm not usually on this late. 

Also hey....I like the videos :)

8700k @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 - GTX 1080ti - Corsair RMx850 - 2x 256gb 970Pro NVMe  - 16GB HyperX Black DDR4 - Acer 24" 240hz

Logitech G502 - Logitech Orion - Sennheiser HD598 SE

SpeedTest.net result

Just now, nicklmg said:

I like this, we should get like a 'mini' vessel exclusive release for all his videos a day early.

1 minute ago, HatsuneMilku said:

-snip-

Always better to just say "don't do it" if there's any risk at all, even if that risk is only due to user error :)

so i guess the SSD stay dead? @nicklmg

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Still, you're better off with a heat gun and liquid flux over this ghetto method of a reflow.  However, neither are a perm fix.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

19 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

All i wanna know is if it's alright for me to cook myself some chicken nuggets in the oven whilst at the same time trying this?

No. The fumes would probably get in your chicken nuggets. While the added flavor might be okay, the PCB fumes themselves would not be.

Now we're going to get PCB flavored sauce. Damn it....And I'll be the one patenting the recipe.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

I did this with my HD 7770 a couple years ago and it worked... for about 10 minutes.:D Pretty sure there was something wrong with it from the start though. Anytime the frame rate smoothed out in GTA IV (usually on the beach) it would crash my pc.

MAIN RIG: Dell Precision T5500 -CPU: Intel Xeon W5580 (4c,8t@ 3.2ghz,turbo 3.46) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -RAM: 16gb ECC DDR3 FBDIMM (Hynix) -GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770  OC WINDFORCE X3 -Case: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 2x 500GB WD Caviar WD5000AAKS (Games, Files) (RAID 0) -PSU: Dell Precision T5500 OEM (875w) -DISPLAY(S): Primary: Acer AL2016w (1680x1050), Left and Right: Gateway FPD1976W (1440x900), Extra displays around the room: 42" Vizio TV (1920x1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -KEYBOARD: Logitech G710+ -MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Core -SOUND: Logitech x320 and Razer Electras -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

LAPTOP: Dell Precision M6500 -CPU: Intel Core i7 920xm (4c,8t@2.0ghz,turbo 3.2ghz) -RAM: 12gb DDR3 -GPU: ATi Firepro M7820 -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 500GB Seagate STL500LM000 SSHD (Games, Files) -DISPLAY: 1920x1200 17.3” -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

SECONDARY RIG: -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon x5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Corvalent BDPEX -RAM: 14GB ECC DDR2 (Mix Match of Brands) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 160GB WD Caviar SE WD1600AAJS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: 450w BFG -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 Heatsinks and some random fans -KEYBOARD: Logitech G105 -MOUSE: Logitech M215 Wireless Mouse -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional x64

NAS: -CPU: Intel Pentium e2180 (2c, 2t@2ghz) -MOTHERBOARD: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM -RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Unsure of Brand) -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 500GB HGST (Backup) -PSU: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM (300w) -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 101a (Zip Tied) and some random fans -OPERATING SYSTEM: FreeNAS 9.10 (Running From USB Flash Drive)

FOLDING RIG: Dell Precision T5400 -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -RAM: 32gb ECC DDR2 (Hynix) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 -CASE: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -STORAGE: 250gb WD 250ABYS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -DISPLAY: Dell 1707FP (1280x1024) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

PHONE: iPhone 7 32GB Matte Black (Sprint)

Can I do the same thing but with a motherboard?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, pcexplosion said:

Can I do the same thing but with a motherboard?

Yes I think so since the parts are put on the same way. I.e. Solder and flux. And of course, the board materials are largely the same.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

I appreciate not having to type 385f in c into google. Include a Celsius conversion in future.

RIP Intel 750 SSD...

Happy the 780 Ti came back to life though.

Normally I´d say you can´t break a broken thing, but I think that Linus just about did it :) .

Still a nice guide, little bit crazy, but still nice.

Wow, I'm surprised @LinusTech would put this crap on this internet.  I guess he didn't watch all of Louis Rossmann's videos, who made the apple video he talked about on WAN. 

The strange thing is, if you COULD reflow a SSD/HDD, THAT would serve a purpose since maybe it would allow you pull data.  But reflowing is a very temporary fix.  There is almost no reason to do this VS just buying a new GPU. 

So 385 Fahrenheit =196 Celsius is not hot enough for Pb free solder which melts at 232 Celsius.

Even the classic 60Sn40Pb solder with its melting point at 191c is hard to melt at this temperature.