Copper Shims in Reflow Jobs, Yes or No?

I'm working on a couple of reflow repair jobs atm and have come across a technique previously unknown to me: the use of copper shims on top of thermal paste to reduce future defect rates. From experience, I know that there is a chance that a reflow job won't 'stick' so to speak. For example, when repairing fat PS3 YLOD, I make it a point to run the systems at least over night. Most pass this basic test fine, but every once in a while I have a system fail which I need to subject to a re-reflow. Atm, I am working on a HP Pavilion dv7 who, despite several attempts, still crashes during graphics benchmarks from over heating.

While chatting with other enthusiasts at a local restore, the advice was given that a copper shim should be added between the thermal paste on the gpu and the head sink (in this case, the cpu will also need one to maintain a level heat sink). I am not able to find definitive information on this method online and would like to know before I make the attempt whether anyone has had success with this method. In addition, what size copper shim should be employed? The type I ordered is slightly smaller than the gpu/heatsink block, but I am under the assumption that this is acceptable. Is this the case?

I have not encountered this nor tried it, but from intuition I think that a thinner piece would be better, around 1/8 or 1/16 inch. 

Would it not be easier just to have the entire heatsink base made of copper? Or do they not make those anymore?

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

It is, but the apparent difficulty is with the quality of the sodder. Being poor, even after the reflow they fail at a higher rates that systems which haven't failed. As I understand it, the copper shim not only provides additional thermal benefits, but adds additional pressure which helps solidifies the connections. Or, so I have been told.