$450 budget, already have RAM and mobo

Whorax
Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($188.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $401.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 16:36 EST-0500

I changed two things. 950 > 380 and PSU to a larger capacity. Older one was fine.

My friend is wanting to get parts for a computer for her sister, and she doesn't want to go over $450. She already has the motherboard and RAM.

I think the main goal of the computer is to at least be able to play Black Ops III as good as possible.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $350.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 16:24 EST-0500

This is what I have so far. I haven't added a case because as far as I'm concerned that's up to her and her tastes. I also would like some feedback regarding the PSU, since I'm not too knowledgeable on budget PSUs. I just went SeaSonic because I hear there's just about nothing bad from them. I also haven't added a copy of Windows yet because I know there are a variety of ways that may be cheaper to get Windows

Some confirmation on the PSU quality would be appreciated, or if someone feels an improvement can be made for the same price let me know.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($188.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $401.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 16:36 EST-0500

I changed two things. 950 > 380 and PSU to a larger capacity. Older one was fine.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

seasonic is a good PSU brand but i like antec PSUs but why not buy an i5 cpu and a gtx 960 or 380 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $399.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 16:34 EST-0500

I changed one thing.

You think I'll be able to put a copy of Windows and a case in there for 50 bucks more?

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

seasonic is a good PSU brand but i like antec PSUs but why not buy an i5 cpu and a gtx 960 

Because an i5 as well as a 960/380 will push this over budget.

Привет товарищ ))))

Just now, Whorax said:

You think I'll be able to put a copy of Windows and a case in there for 50 bucks more?

in that case do an i3 with an r9 380. then put a 550w PSU in there so that later on you can perhaps upgrade to an i5 or i7 later on. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, Whorax said:

My friend is wanting to get parts for a computer for her sister, and she doesn't want to go over $450. She already has the motherboard and RAM.

I think the main goal of the computer is to at least be able to play Black Ops III as good as possible.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $350.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 16:24 EST-0500

This is what I have so far. I haven't added a case because as far as I'm concerned that's up to her and her tastes. I also would like some feedback regarding the PSU, since I'm not too knowledgeable on budget PSUs. I just went SeaSonic because I hear there's just about nothing bad from them. I also haven't added a copy of Windows yet because I know there are a variety of ways that may be cheaper to get Windows

Some confirmation on the PSU quality would be appreciated, or if someone feels an improvement can be made for the same price let me know.

How about a used i5? its like just 130euro here. shjould be even cheaper there.
Eveything else look fine. Could save bit of money in the psu, maybe.
But maybe a 380 or used 770 instead of the 950. 950 is good aswell if you overclock it.

6 minutes ago, Whorax said:

G2A windows for $20-30

Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $429.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 16:45 EST-0500

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, elBarto said:

Could you mind giving me a brief education on the differences between the G3258 and the i3 I chose? I'm not too knowledgeable on the lower end CPUs.

Just now, tataklee said:

Are they legitimate? As in not stolen keys, etc? I feel like the only place I've had a not shady experience with 3rd party key sellers is GMG..lol.

Привет товарищ ))))

2 minutes ago, tataklee said:

Is Kinguin better than reddit microsoftsoftwareswap?

Main: Gigabyte G1 980Ti, i5 6600k, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4 2666, NZXT H440, NZXT x61, EVGA 750W G2, Windows 10 

Second PC: EVGA Reference GTX 680, i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3, Corsair 300R, Corsair CX500W, Windows 10

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5750G, GT540M, i7 2630QM, 6GB DDR3, Windows 7 

1 minute ago, Whorax said:

Could you mind giving me a brief education on the differences between the G3258 and the i3 I chose? I'm not too knowledgeable on the lower end CPUs.

Are they legitimate? As in not stolen keys, etc? I feel like the only place I've had a not shady experience with 3rd party key sellers is GMG..lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXpqpNhu_Y

May I suggest....using an "existing" Windows 7 install and upgrading to Windows 10?

Also if you aren't getting a quad core then pick up a G3258 and overclock. The i3 will perform better out of the box but the Pentium is much cheaper. 

My current rig has a G4400 Skylake chip and it performs wonderfully. 

Also I would wait until you have everything running to buy a GPU and check on Craigslist or some other local way of purchasing used stuff. I always advocate for buying used because it's pretty rare that new-ish video cards die. 

6 minutes ago, Leo_Dahlin said:

Is Kinguin better than reddit microsoftsoftwareswap?

Never used reddit. Get the buyer protection at Kinguin for a Dollar or something and you're good to go. Almost everyone I know uses Kinguin keys, nobody ever had issues. Paul of Paul's Hardware even did a video about it.

2 minutes ago, ShadyHost said:

May I suggest....using an "existing" Windows 7 install and upgrading to Windows 10?

Also if you aren't getting a quad core then pick up a G3258 and overclock. The i3 will perform better out of the box but the Pentium is much cheaper. 

My current rig has a G4400 Skylake chip and it performs wonderfully. 

Also I would wait until you have everything running to buy a GPU and check on Craigslist or some other local way of purchasing used stuff. I always advocate for buying used because it's pretty rare that new-ish video cards die. 

How much of a pain would that be in terms of essentially transferring that Windows from the old PC to the new?

Привет товарищ ))))

5 minutes ago, Whorax said:

How much of a pain would that be in terms of essentially transferring that Windows from the old PC to the new?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w6RKyc

use miniTool partition wizard to migrate to the SSD.

with windows ull be about 2usd over budget. meh. just 2 bucks

Dont worry about the psu. sure its not gold and doenst have all the fancy stuff. But it fits your needs and will work just fine.

I have used kinguin windows key a few times. been about 8 months seems to be working fine. Just dont swap around too much of the hardware, but that goes without saying to any windows really :)

5 hours ago, Whorax said:

Oh I'm talking about a completely new install of Windows 7. By "existing" I was just making a vague suggestion on how you go about getting a legit copy of Windows 7, as Microsoft has likely taken a lot of your money over many years.