1440p 144Hz IPS VS 4K 60Hz IPS

Lucasfonoli

Considering that I already have a 65" 4k Samsung tv with HDMI 2.0 that allow me to play GTA V with 60FPS on my couch and controller, I need a new monitor to use when playing with mouse and keyboard,  mainly Shooting games.

I have a system with 6700k,  32gb RAM,  SLI 980TI G1, capable of both 1440p 144hz and 4k 60hz.

What you guys would suggest me.

ASUS SWIFT ROF PG27AQ GSYNC 4K 60HZ IPS   -  900USD

VS

ACER PREDATOR XB271HU GSYNC 1440P 144HZ IPS (Maibe even 165hz with overclock)   -  750USD

I'd take the Acer just from raw stats, I know nothing specific but if you already have a 4k TV a 4k monitor seems kind of pointless not to mention that you are limited to 60Hz and 144Hz is so much more fun in those:

19 minutes ago, Lucasfonoli said:

mainly Shooting games.

Just imo

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1440p 144hz IPS is what'd I go for, my Acer 1440p 144hz FreeSync monitor is heavenly, using 60hz screens is a chore now :D 

Thanks for the fast reply. I actually want the 21:9 3440x1440, but it not fit on my budget right know :'(

I am leaning towards the acer predator too. Besides,  I have never played anything over 60FPS and don't have a way to test it out before buy one of those monitors

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, reesercollins said:

What are you PC specs?

980ti g1 sli with 6700k

9 minutes ago, reesercollins said:

Then you should be able to run most games at 4k. Go for the 4k

Thanks,

Reese

The problem is not be able or not to run 4k. Even tho 1440p is around 2 times less demanding than 4k, 144hz is 2x more demanding than 60hz. So,  the graphic power needed for render 4k 60hz is around the same as 1440p 144hz...

The human eye doesn't see much more than 60hz, and driving pixels is more demanding than hz

5 minutes ago, reesercollins said:

The human eye doesn't see much more than 60hz, and driving pixels is more demanding than hz

I'd like to respectfully disagree, I think the difference is night and day. My current monitor, the ROG Swift (TN version) can switch between the different Hz values from 60 all the way to 144. In game I can see the difference quite easily. Things are smoother and hardly any tearing occurs. It's most notable in shooters and games like GTA V where the camera can spin pretty fast. Hell I can even notice it on my desktop with simple mouse movements. But idk, maybe it's just me.

To the OP @Lucasfonoli, get 1440p @ 144Hz. You already experienced 4k, time to see the other side of the coin. Just a thought.

13 minutes ago, reesercollins said:

The human eye doesn't see much more than 60hz

This statement has been debunked so many times it's amazing people are still posting it.  You don't see in frames.  You see in a constant stream of light.

Once you go to 144Hz, going back just isn't an option.  I'd also recommend to the OP: go with the 1440p/144Hz.  For the time being and for the immediate future, it's the sweet spot for FPS gaming.  Once cards and panels have DisplayPort 1.3 available, we'll probably start seeing 4K panels with >60Hz.  IMO, until then, stick with 1440p.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Even we could buy an 4k ips 144hz panel, what fucking gpu could drive that? No even 7 fury nanos could handle,  kkkkk. Even 4k 60hz is putting one 980 ti on his limits on high settings... 

I already decided to get the acer 1440p, I am just worried about the known backlight bleeding problem.... 

Just if the acer predator 3440x1440 21:9 would cost lower than 1000 USD :'( :'(

24 minutes ago, Lucasfonoli said:

Even we could buy an 4k ips 144hz panel, what fucking gpu could drive that? No even 7 fury nanos could handle,  kkkkk. Even 4k 60hz is putting one 980 ti on his limits on high settings... 

The next bump in limits will be 4K/120Hz and 5K/60Hz via DisplayPort 1.3.  We're not going to see anything higher than 120Hz for 4K with DP1.3 because it can't do it.  That said, today's high-end GPUs in SLI/X-fire might not be able to push that, but tomorrow's almost certainly will.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 hour ago, reesercollins said:

On LTT forum, ignores Linus' videos on refresh rates. :o

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

17 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

On LTT forum, ignores Linus' videos on refresh rates. :o

It realy seems that this person doesn't watch linus videos... 

My dreams are more towards an 21:9 144hz gsync OLED IPS panel with 5119x2160 (4k wide) :D

But for now, i just want the 21:9 predator to become 40% cheaper...  1400 is fucking prohibitive 

18 hours ago, Lucasfonoli said:

Even tho 1440p is around 2 times less demanding than 4k, 144hz is 2x more demanding than 60hz

I'd advise you to try and phrase yourself yourself differently. It might be just me but that does not only sound bad but is mathematically just far from right/exact.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system