choices for LGA 1151 mATX form factor Gaming Motherboards

Go to solution Solved by wng_kingsley7,

Hello @strin6w1z4rd , you have definitely posted in the correct segment of the forum :) 

Unfortunately the majority of Intel's higher/mid tier processors utilise 20 PCI-E lanes but thankfully they're all Gen 3.0 with that said any motherboard vendor manufacturing/supporting the LGA 1151 will split the 20 lanes 8* by 8* for either Crossfire or SLI configurations.

Best guess is to choose from;

Asus's MAXIMUS VIII GENE

Z170M-E D3

Z170M-PLUS

Gigabyte's GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

Couldn't really find an M-ATX form factor motherboard from MSI which is pretty unusual since they did produce great small form factor motherboards.

Regarding how much you want to spend is up to you but I will inform you that there are some motherboards with support for DDR3(L) specifically so you can save yourself so money instead of investing in a newer more expensive product such as DDR4 unless you feel like the cost is necessary.

Asus-Maximus-VII-Gene-Specs-and-Price-Ph

**Alright, please have this thread deleted if it's necessary, i'm a noob at building and here's where i thought of asking the questions I need answers to.

So, without further ado, here's my trouble...

I am stuck with an Intel Core i7-3770 processor paired with an Asus H61M-K motherboard. I was hoping to upgrade my motherboard for SLI, USB 3.0 and other cool stuff but, unfortunately, here in this side of earth (Philippines, to be exact) stores don't sell LGA 1155 motherboards anymore. I was told to jump into the LGA 1151 wagon for widespread choices when it comes to awesome motherboards. Here's the thing, I have a mid tower case that only supports mATX and ITX form factors and I have no idea which mATX motherboard to get for an LGA 1151 processor. I can try shifting to ATX but not in the near future, budget is quite tight so I was hoping to stick to mATX to keep my case and cooling setup intact. I searched the internet and found this, the Asus Maximus VIII Gene that supports LGA 1151 and form factor is mATX which seem to suit what I was hoping for. Unfortunately (yet again), I can't find one being sold here (i'm really getting frustrated as I type this, haha). Can you guys suggest a good mobo for the said socket type that can handle SLI that runs both PCI-E 3.0 at 16x? This Maximus VII Gene can do SLI but runs both on 8x mode. I'm trying to fish for other good options other than Maximus VIII Gene while I can't find one here.

I'm really sorry for being a newbie, i just started my thing for building pc's just last year when I watched one of Linus' build log videos. Thanks in advance, peeps! :)

There aren't many others supporting SLI, I have a Z170M by Asus, but it only supports Crossfire.

You have the Z170 Maximus VIII Gene, the Asrock Z170M Extreme4 and the Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 as options.

Hello @strin6w1z4rd , you have definitely posted in the correct segment of the forum :) 

Unfortunately the majority of Intel's higher/mid tier processors utilise 20 PCI-E lanes but thankfully they're all Gen 3.0 with that said any motherboard vendor manufacturing/supporting the LGA 1151 will split the 20 lanes 8* by 8* for either Crossfire or SLI configurations.

Best guess is to choose from;

Asus's MAXIMUS VIII GENE

Z170M-E D3

Z170M-PLUS

Gigabyte's GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

Couldn't really find an M-ATX form factor motherboard from MSI which is pretty unusual since they did produce great small form factor motherboards.

Regarding how much you want to spend is up to you but I will inform you that there are some motherboards with support for DDR3(L) specifically so you can save yourself so money instead of investing in a newer more expensive product such as DDR4 unless you feel like the cost is necessary.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Thank you for all the replies, it was really enlightening. I checked all that were mentioned and I think the Asus Maximus VIII Gene would fit my problem just right. Although, there's this problem that I can't find one here in our country, so I guess it's either I have to wait for one to pass by or choose from the other options mentioned. I don't mind spending that extra buck if it will ease me from upgrading more parts just because I can't find one replacement that I need. Again, thanks for the replies, it was really a good choice that I headed here for some answers. Thanks!!

Hopefully that helps you & your welcome. If you need to save on money Z97 hardware could be within your budget although I'm not sure of your specific use-case scenario so do tell if possible.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

my chassis only supports mATX and ITX form factors, most Z97 motherboards that piqued my interest are 90% ATX form factors, although there is a chassis that i saw at a store that is fairly cheap yet gets the job done that supports up to standard ATX... for the usage, im mostly into gaming, photoshop and starting to try out video editing... which is why i'm also contemplating on upgrading my graphics card in the process, im only sporting a measly GTX 750 2GB OC Ed., but not in the near future just yet... but i have my sights on that sexy Galax GTX 970 HOF, lol!

19 minutes ago, strin6w1z4rd said:

my chassis only supports mATX and ITX form factors, most Z97 motherboards that piqued my interest are 90% ATX form factors, although there is a chassis that i saw at a store that is fairly cheap yet gets the job done that supports up to standard ATX... for the usage, im mostly into gaming, photoshop and starting to try out video editing... which is why i'm also contemplating on upgrading my graphics card in the process, im only sporting a measly GTX 750 2GB OC Ed., but not in the near future just yet... but i have my sights on that sexy Galax GTX 970 HOF, lol!

hahaha nice! that GTX 970 HOF is menacingly cool looking :D Maybe when you buy them they'll be dirt cheap & wha-bam! Dual GTX 970 HOFS

The e-peen

15 minutes ago, wng_kingsley7 said:

hahaha nice! that GTX 970 HOF is menacingly cool looking :D Maybe when you buy them they'll be dirt cheap & wha-bam! Dual GTX 970 HOFS

The e-peen

i don't think that would go dirt cheap soon, it's aesthetically cool and from what i have watched it's seems to have a solid clock speed right off the box... but hey, with GDDR5X just around the corner, who knows? (which means, when i'm done with my build, i'm might already be far behind, lmao!)