Arizona's DOJ to stop issuing IPhones to employees after FBI vs Apple dispute

zMeul

source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/arizona-prosecutor-were-not-buying-any-more-iphones-over-apple-and-doj-dispute/

On Wednesday, an Arizona county attorney's office announced that it will immediately halt "providing iPhones as an option for replacement or upgrades for existing employees," citing the current legal battle between Apple and the Department of Justice.

Maricopa County, the nation’s fourth most populous county, which encompasses Phoenix and the surrounding area, is also well-known for its very conservative sheriff, Joe Arpaio.

"Apple’s refusal to cooperate with a legitimate law enforcement investigation to unlock a phone used by terrorists puts Apple on the side of terrorists instead of on the side of public safety," County Attorney Bill Montgomery said in a statement. "Positioning their refusal to cooperate as having anything to do with privacy interests is a corporate PR stunt and ignores the Fourth Amendment protections afforded by our Constitution."

The agency specified that it has 564 smartphones, and of those, 366 are iPhones.

good luck with that

and will provide what instead, Windows phones? that will be hilarious: "yo dawg! I heard you like spying ... so we upgraded you to Windows 10"

and who says the employees won't buy IPhones with their own money xD

Apple is testing if they're bigger than a government. Bold move cotton, we'll see how it pans out. I'll be tuning in for more.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

The agency specified that it has 564 smartphones, and of those, 366 are iPhones

OH NO 366 phones, Apple will be bankrupt

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, gFrenken97 said:

who..cares..

Could set a precedent for future events...

If I understand correctly, isn't the problem that Apple *can't* unlock the phone? I thought they said they couldn't unlock locked down phones...

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and who says the employees won't buy IPhones with their own money xD

It's not just about the phone, it might mess price plans for quite a few people, or however it's called over there. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If apple is a terrorist company and microsoft sides with apple, then microsoft is a terrorist company as well. 

So to be fair, they have to get rid of windows, otherwise they are supporting terrorists. 

goodl luck, have fun with that idiotic, conservative mindset.

System:
CPU: I7-3610QM @ 2.3 GHz | Motherboard: something with chips | RAM: 8 Gb of something | GPU: AMD HD 7600M | Case: Something made out of plastic | Storage: Toshiba MQ01ABD075 750GB | PSU: something external | Display(s): something glowing | Cooling: jet engine | Keyboard: hama something | Mouse: Logitech something | Sound: Traktor Kontrol S2 as soundcard, AKG K500 Headphones | Operating System: Windoof 10

Guess it sucks for those people since they lose the savings. But, if they really want an iphone, they can just buy in themselves...not hurting apple much.

My old job had a similar deal with upgrading to iphones. It was REALLY good (free when eligible or ~$100-$150 for a new phone anytime) but I prefer android so I stuck with buying the phone myself.

On 2/25/2016 at 4:18 AM, zMeul said:

will provide what instead, Windows phones? that will be hilarious: "yo dawg! I heard you like spying ... so we upgraded you to Windows 10"

^lol

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

4 hours ago, Mo_z_Art said:

If apple is a terrorist company and microsoft sides with apple, then microsoft is a terrorist company as well. 

So to be fair, they have to get rid of windows, otherwise they are supporting terrorists. 

goodl luck, have fun with that idiotic, conservative mindset.

I'm somewhat conservative and even I think this is idiotic. I don't understand how people can be so fucking retarded. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

*Voice of apathy* Oh no, the DOJ is actively choosing phones that are less secure. There is no way this will come back to bite them like choosing a less secure email service did...

Good good, this will only increase their brand value outside of the US.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

On 2/26/2016 at 11:33 AM, Raichuboy17 said:

*Voice of apathy* Oh no, the DOJ is actively choosing phones that are less secure. There is no way this will come back to bite them like choosing a less secure email service did...

This is what I was thinking. Might check Wikileaks for his e-mails later xD

Also 366 iPhones. Yeah, stick it to Apple. The % of sales that would account for would be chalked up to a reporting rounding/variance error. 

LOL

So since Microsoft and Google had statements supporting Apples decision,  are they going to boycott them too? 

Looks like back to Blackberry for them. 

Loving the reactions these government agencies are having towards this,  they're all outing the ones who give no shits about people's and companies rights. 

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

On 25/02/2016 at 8:31 PM, Admiral Naismith said:

Could set a precedent for future events...

If I understand correctly, isn't the problem that Apple *can't* unlock the phone? I thought they said they couldn't unlock locked down phones...

They can but from ive understood is that teh FBI wants basically and Master Key that they can use at their own disclosure.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.