Siri for Mac will be one of OS X 10.12’s major new features

Guest Kloaked

Original article: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02/report-siri-for-mac-will-be-one-of-os-x-10-12s-major-new-features/

Before someone says "HA LOOK AT APPLE COPYING MICROSOFT LELELELEL KEKEKE XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD", calm your neckbeard.

It's not like hardware and software manufacturers have copied what's on the market before. Nope, literally never happened.

el-cap-intro-640x218.jpg

Apple's Siri personal assistant will finally be coming to OS X 10.12 when the OS is released later this year, according to a report from 9to5Mac. According to the report, a Siri icon will live in the menu bar in the upper-right corner of the screen along with icons for Spotlight, the Notification Center, and other features. Users will also be able to use a keyboard shortcut to bring up Siri, which will be an optional feature that can be enabled during first-time setup or in System Preferences (much as it works in iOS today).

Looks like it'll be enabled similarly to Cortana in Windows 10. If you ask me though, Siri should have been on OSX a long time ago. It's already on the iPad since it uses iOS, it's on Apple TV, the Apple Watch... It only makes sense that they finally move to maybe one-up Microsoft in functionality.

I haven't used Cortana a lot since I haven't seen a need for it, but I do know Apple sits back and watches what everyone else does most of the time and then they go into R&D to make an attempt to do it better. Sometimes it doesn't work out, other times they just bring in the most smartphone sales ever with the iPhone 6 model launch as they moved to larger device design.

Before someone asks, I'm not going to copy and paste the whole article here. The article itself is four paragraphs long, and this isn't a major news story anyways. Nothing much to write about.

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It took them about five fucking years to put Siri on OS X.

How.

Because siri (and all voice assistants) still suck. 

I'm still waiting for Apple to add a decent windows snapping tool. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I mean as stupid as it may sound, it took Microsoft about a year to slap Cortana into Windows.

Siri should've been on OS X since... hell, Mountain Lion.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Especially now BTT isn't free. :(

Meh, I never really felt the need for this sort of thing. It's just one of those things that seems superfluous and pointless to me. Not to mention I don't have a mac nor plan to get one, but the same applies to cortana.

Still, can't hurt to have the option - and it IS a bit weird that they'd implement this only now given that they lead the charge in that sense for a bit on mobile.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, ShaolinBear said:

Especially now BTT isn't free. :(

And that's literally the only reason I care :P 

Luckily it's very easy to reset trial software in OSX. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I think Siri suits a mobile device much more then a fixed desktop, (at least until its more tailored for desktop, which presumably will happen now).

Things like hands-free calling, setting timers and timed reminders are day to day for me. Unless they make Siri's searches background, to aid multitasking then I still think it'll remain better on mobile. 

Happy its coming no less though. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

And that's literally the only reason I care :P 

Luckily it's very easy to reset trial software in OSX. 

Yeah - I have 20 days left on my trial. How would you go about resetting the trial periods?

3 minutes ago, ShaolinBear said:

Yeah - I have 20 days left on my trial. How would you go about resetting the trial periods?

Navigate to preferences (Macintosh HD > Users > your account > library > preferences), then delete (or just modify) com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.plist. It will reset your BTT's trial (as well as any settings you may have had). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Navigate to preferences (Macintosh HD > Users > your account > library > preferences), then delete (or just modify) com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.plist. It will reset your BTT's trial (as well as any settings you may have had). 

Thanks - hopefully I won't have to do that for long.

I use Spotlight A LOT with my macbook, it's a real blessing/life saver to have one while working on multiple windows and applications. If Siri can be deeply integrated like in iOS or even the Apple TV, I would be really pleased. Less effort for me to type or navigate to find simple stuffs in my folders or even playing movies/music. And maybe I can also use the iPhone as a Siri remote while I'm away from my desk.

Cortana is pretty damn fast on Windows. Siri better keep up on the pc side or no one will bother using it at all

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Before someone says "HA LOOK AT APPLE COPYING MICROSOFT LELELELEL KEKEKE XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD", calm your neckbeard.

well apple didn't even make siri, stanford did, soooooooooo....lol

I don't use Cortana on my desktop and I certainly won't use siri on my macbook. About the only time I use Siri is on my apple watch when I use it to dictate texts, set alarms or start workouts. The only time its useful is when you're using it to do something that is otherwise impossible or very hard to do (texting on my apple watch). 

On a computer I see no reason for a voice assistant. 

34 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

On a computer I see no reason for a voice assistant. 

For all those crazy people who somehow benefit from Siri/cortana/google now on phones. (and anyone who types at 5 wpm)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

For all those crazy people who somehow benefit from Siri/cortana/google now on phones. (and anyone who types at 5 wpm)

Are we, are we really crazy?! 

I kid, ;P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Siri is actually pretty damn good. Cortana isn't too bad.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

just download spectacle

topic: gimmick

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

just download spectacle

topic: gimmick

I already have something that does exactly what I want/need (BetterTouchTool), but it really is something that should be in OSX (and in Windows for that matter...Microsoft needs to add quadrant snapping too).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I already have something that does exactly what I want/need (BetterTouchTool), but it really is something that should be in OSX (and in Windows for that matter...Microsoft needs to add quadrant snapping too).

wasn't that on 7? did they remove it?

btw spectacle is a free (and open source) tool, so no need to reset the trial ;)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

btw spectacle is a free (and open source) tool, so no need to reset the trial ;)

I don't think so? Windows 7 has half screen snapping and full screen snapping.......Unless there's something I don't know 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Thank you man. I've been looking for such application for osx for a while now. LOL. 

1 minute ago, atrash said:

Thank you man. I've been looking for such application for osx for a while now. LOL. 

np

10 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm quite sure Windows 10 has quadrant snapping. 

I find Siri mostly useful when I want to know something and I don't have my iPad to hand (and it is plugged in - hoping for 6S style always on Siri in the future). Usually in the morning I will ask what time it is, what the weather is going to be like etc.

It is kind of useful, but I can't imagine what I'd do with it on my MBP...