DVI to HDMI/ Mini Display Port

NoLoMo

So I've given up trying to find a quality monitor within my budget, so rather I'll make do with what I got. I have Acer G215HV monitor which I'd like to hook up to my laptop only problem being that the only ports that the monitor has is VGA while my laptop has an HDMI port and a mini display port. Is there any connection that can convert DVI to HDMI?

Edited by NoLoMo

you need an active adapter

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

Is there any connection that can convert VGA to HDMI?

actually it's the other way around: you have a HDMI output and need a D-SUB input

Spoiler

81dz826iroL._SL1500_.jpg

here :http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Adapter-Micro-USB/dp/B007SM7O2U

or the mini DP variant: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Mini-DisplayPort-Video-Adapter/dp/B0031SEMBQ

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

What is your budget?

less than 200

Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, $13 and change: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=12743&seq=1&format=2]

Whether you go HDMI to VGA or Mini DP to VGA, they're going to be generally more expensive than say HDMI to DVI-D, since you're going from a digital output (HDMI/DisplayPort) to an analog input (VGA). The adapter needs to convert the signal. You'll also need to run audio separately as the picture @zMeul posted shows. That $3 thing should do the trick, but I'd be a little worried with the product quality. 

Just now, powderbanks said:

Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, $13 and change: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=12743&seq=1&format=2]

Whether you go HDMI to VGA or Mini DP to VGA, they're going to be generally more expensive than say HDMI to DVI-D, since you're going from a digital output (HDMI/DisplayPort) to an analog input (VGA). The adapter needs to convert the signal. You'll also need to run audio separately as the picture @zMeul posted shows. That $3 thing should do the trick, but I'd be a little worried with the product quality. 

Ahhh ok, I was wondering why the price was so high.

5 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

less than 200

While yo did not state if you use the monitor for gaming or not i can say that this is a good gaming monitor for $179 and i got this for Christmas for $159.99 and everything but the stand is great, which is why i use a VESA arm for it.

If you don't care for the gaming aspect, there are a good few sub-$200 IPS monitors.

Then there is the Korean monitors that have 144hz and the IPS ones on Newegg. So look around and see what you can find.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, Leonard said:

While yo did not state if you use the monitor for gaming or not i can say that this is a good gaming monitor for $179 and i got this for Christmas for $159.99 and everything but the stand is great, which is why i use a VESA arm for it.

If you don't care for the gaming aspect, there are a good few sub-$200 IPS monitors.

Then there is the Korean monitors that have 144hz and the IPS ones on Newegg. So look around and see what you can find.

Its mostly school work and the most intense gaming I'll do on it would be Tera, Blade and Soul, and Smite.

2 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

Its mostly school work and the most intense gaming I'll do on it would be Tera, Blade and Soul, and Smite.

Beautiful IPS

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.