Make People upload profile picture before posting topic

FatPenguin

Next thing you guys want will be for members to fill out their profile page... nuh uh.  I was well over 2000 posts before I added a profile picture.  I am here for content, not to show off my fancy art or social skills.  :S:P

Yeah, I like the random picture idea.

Just some random weird Linus/other people working at LMG pictures would be fun (maybe it can automatically get pictures from the Linus memes forum and a user can just crop to what they want?)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 hours ago, Cat :^) said:

I think having multiple default ones would be good, but I don't agree with forcing people to upload one.

Since this is a tech forum, make it choose a random image from windows XP's profile image selection

1 hour ago, OPSJono said:

Yes, I would love there to be a requirement for a profile picture before you can post.

All those blank images look terrible, compared to everyone else's (amazing) pictures. :D

My cat peanut stares into your soul.

and his brother butter is probably eating the cardboard box or something

27 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Since this is a tech forum, make it choose a random image from windows XP's profile image selection

Just have them pull a random pic off google images.  That can't possibly end horribly :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, I like the random picture idea.

Just some random weird Linus/other people working at LMG pictures would be fun (maybe it can automatically get pictures from the Linus memes forum and a user can just crop to what they want?)

or they could get a bunch of funny faces from everyone that works at LMG and randomize it. they could also change the color of the picture to throw some more life into the forums. sorta like this: 6ttS5XZ.png

But with just one.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Eh, if it's just a matter of looks I'd rather the default pic have some more colour to it than just grey - it would serve the purpose just fine.

@colonel_mortis maybe some ltt orange? That would make it a lot less boring to look at imo.

-edit-

while we're at it is there any way we could have the pic retain its aspect ratio? my gif looks squished like this :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Eh, if it's just a matter of looks I'd rather the default pic have some more colour to it than just grey - it would serve the purpose just fine.

@colonel_mortis maybe some ltt orange? That would make it a lot less boring to look at imo.

It's not just the boring, it's that they're all the same... hundreds of them... faceless drones :|

:D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's not just the boring, it's that they're all the same... hundreds of them... faceless drones :|

:D

but then a small pool of default images wouldn't change much, and forcing an upload may be too much to ask from a random guy who just wants an answer.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

but it would get boring after a while. there would have to be multiple different colors.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

Just now, FatPenguin said:

but it would get boring after a while. there would have to be multiple different colors.

maybe have some seizure inducing animated background? like this

Spoiler

giphy.gif

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

but then a small pool of default images wouldn't change much, and forcing an upload may be too much to ask from a random guy who just wants an answer.

Honestly I don't know why this is even an issue.  I mean I can understand if someone just wants to make 1 post but there are some people here with hundreds or even well over a thousand posts, so they're "major" members as much as anyone, and I don't get why someone like that wouldn't want to post a picture... it shouldn't need to be forced :D

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Honestly I don't know why this is even an issue.  I mean I can understand if someone just wants to make 1 post but there are some people here with hundreds or even well over a thousand posts, so they're "major" members as much as anyone, and I don't get why someone like that wouldn't want to post a picture... it shouldn't need to be forced :D

some people just don't care ^^ whereas if you have a themed profile like me a pic is pretty much a must

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

maybe have some seizure inducing animated background?

that already happened in Pokemon

don't open this if you have epilepsy

Spoiler

FS9zN5R.gif

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well not even that but maybe change up the color of the profile picture sorta like twitter does were it randomizes the background color of the default profile pic

On 2/22/2016 at 6:01 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which is why I hate when people change it :P

But yeah when there are way too many default grey heads it makes it hard to follow a conversation honestly 

i have never changed my profile pic just because i have the same problem 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

12 hours ago, APasz said:

But why? Why would it stop you from enjoying the forum?

Because I come here to read what others have to say. Agree, disagree, smile, laugh, learn, share, etc. etc. If I was told I had to conform to everyone else's standards then I'd feel like a lemming. I am me. If I feel like being a white silhouette with a black background, it's my choice. Don't want to be told what I should do. There's enough of that in the real world, example: job, tax time, bills, etc. I come here to relax. Not to be forced to do something I feel no need to. Hope that makes sense.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

9 minutes ago, Griffscavern said:

Because I come here to read what others have to say. Agree, disagree, smile, laugh, learn, share, etc. etc. If I was told I had to conform to everyone else's standards then I'd feel like a lemming. I am me. If I feel like being a white silhouette with a black background, it's my choice. Don't want to be told what I should do. There's enough of that in the real world, example: job, tax time, bills, etc. I come here to relax. Not to be forced to do something I feel no need to. Hope that makes sense.

I get where you are coming from.

Anyway who says that you have have an avatar of a thing, your avatar could be a white silhouette with a black background.

But you can at least see the benefits of such a system though?

-アパゾ

@FatPenguinJust to spite you, I'm going to remove my profile picture. :P

5 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

I don't think anybody should be forced to upload a profile picture, but devs if you do make it to where it uses a random profile pic you need to include a pic of Queen Demi.

If anything, we need to not include pictures of Demi Lovato so as to not support your current obsession with her.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 2/23/2016 at 2:33 AM, colonel_mortis said:

No, that would add so much friction to the sign up process and would stop lots of people who are just making and account for one question. 

You say that last part as though it is a bad thing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You say that last part as though it is a bad thing.

The more questions and responses we have on a particular topic, the better. It allows people who don't want to make an account, but are searching for an answer to find all these threads reinforcing an opinion or destroying it. The more documentation you have of a certain way to do things, the more reinforced it becomes. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The more questions and responses we have on a particular topic, the better. It allows people who don't want to make an account, but are searching for an answer to find all these threads reinforcing an opinion or destroying it. The more documentation you have of a certain way to do things, the more reinforced it becomes. 

I would think that quality of said documentation is more important than quantity.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs