How long does it take to "Reset PC"? (Windows)

Crushaderdk

Hi guys. I am going to sell my laptop tomorrow and i wanna know how long it takes to reset it.

By reset you mean deleting everything from it?

Just formating drive is pretty fast, need only like 5 minutes for it.

Or did you had something else in mind?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

By reset you mean deleting everything from it?

Just formating drive is pretty fast, need only like 5 minutes for it.

Or did you had something else in mind?

Thank you for the quick answer. Yep i mean deleting everything from it :).  How long is that going to take?

5-10 minutes to format.
20-30 minutes to completely reinstall windows.
1-2 hours to securely erase all contents.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Maybe a few hours. Do data deconstruction wipe you load the program onto a disc and put  it into the computer it securely wipes mostly all your data terminally 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

1 minute ago, FatPenguin said:

terminally 

Woah easy tiger

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

I never erased HDD on that security level. I usually just delete volumes and format drive. It's not like I had some bank account with 1M $$ on that drive xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, gergy008 said:

Woah easy tiger

whoops auto correct. meant to say Permanently 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Just now, Simon771 said:

I never erased HDD on that security level. I usually just delete volumes and format drive. It's not like I had some bank account with 1M $$ on that drive xD

Yup, entirely up to you. As long as you don't have excel documents full of your bank statements!

Spoiler

Usually when someone says that he need to do deconstuction wipe I just assume that they have some nasty stuff on PC xD

WD My Cloud 4TB

If you mean you'll be using the bundled Windows Recovery "Reset my PC" function and say you're keeping no data, I'd say a while. I had to do it on one of my old work computers because all of the windows apps broke and it took about 5 hours.

Your mileage may vary however.