Planning to hook up these speakers to my pc.

minus

So I have managed to snag myself a DIATONE DS-28B that I want to connect to my PC. My initial plan is use a 3.5mm to 3.55 cable to connect my PC to an amplifier, and generic speaker wires to connect the amplifier to the speakers. Now what I'm looking for is a decent/budget amplifier. Not interested in those expensive, ultra high quality amps where you can distinguish whose vocal cord is dong what in a song. Poorly done joke aside, I only want a decent listening experience with little to no overpowering in highs, mids and lows. Positional audio is not required (though I'm not sure if the amps are responsible for that, anyway).

Song(s) of choice : Mostly riffs by Megadeath and Pantera, instrumentals by Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, Occasional vocals from Bee Gees and The Carpenters and classical; Tchaikovsky and Brahms (please dont judge me).

A quick google has led me to this amplifier Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T . Anything similar to that price range? Would you mind adding any recommendations for my plan?

Thank You for your time :)

TL:DR

• Have :

Speakers

PC (built-in audio, Z97x Gigabyte Gaming 3)

• Needs:

Cheap Budget/decent Amplifier 

Set up inputs and ideas

• Listens to :

Megadeath

Pantera

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

Bee Gees 

The Carpenters

Tchaikovsky

Brahms

44 minutes ago, minus said:

Search craigslist for a boombox with line in and headphone out as well

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

49 minutes ago, minus said:

So I have managed to snag myself a DIATONE DS-28B that I want to connect to my PC. My initial plan is use a 3.5mm to 3.55 cable to connect my PC to an amplifier, and generic speaker wires to connect the amplifier to the speakers. Now what I'm looking for is a decent/budget amplifier. Not interested in those expensive, ultra high quality amps where you can distinguish whose vocal cord is dong what in a song. Poorly done joke aside, I only want a decent listening experience with little to no overpowering in highs, mids and lows. Positional audio is not required (though I'm not sure if the amps are responsible for that, anyway).

Song(s) of choice : Mostly riffs by Megadeath and Pantera, instrumentals by Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, Occasional vocals from Bee Gees and The Carpenters and classical; Tchaikovsky and Brahms (please dont judge me).

A quick google has led me to this amplifier Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T . Anything similar to that price range? Would you mind adding any recommendations for my plan?

Thank You for your time :)

TL:DR

• Have :

Speakers

PC (built-in audio, Z97x Gigabyte Gaming 3)

• Needs:

Cheap Budget/decent Amplifier 

Set up inputs and ideas

• Listens to :

Megadeath

Pantera

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

Bee Gees 

The Carpenters

Tchaikovsky

Brahms

I would get a amp with a bit more power since that one is only 20Watts and the speakers max is 50.

The Dick of the audio page!

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Search craigslist for a boombox with line in and headphone out as well

Any specific brand/model to watchout for?

4 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

I would get a amp with a bit more power since that one is only 20Watts and the speakers max is 50.

How much watts do you suggest?

Just now, minus said:

Any specific brand/model to watchout for?

So long as they sound decent when you pick them up you're probably fine, maybe something from sony? they had the whole walkman thing at that time, I don't know much about specific brands.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, minus said:

How much watts do you suggest?

One with a peak of 50W

12 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

One with a peak of 50W

Noted. Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So long as they sound decent when you pick them up you're probably fine, maybe something from sony? they had the whole walkman thing at that time, I don't know much about specific brands.

I am actually planning to buy something new from a mall or something.Craigslist is not a viable option in my country unfortunately. But thanks for your input :)

On 2/22/2016 at 6:54 AM, minus said:

Noted. Thanks! 

I am actually planning to buy something new from a mall or something.Craigslist is not a viable option in my country unfortunately. But thanks for your input :)

Ok, Those speakers are quite efficient at 91db/W. That lepai amp will be more than enough, you only need a couple of watts.

Edited by klh2000

`

4 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

What speakers do you have? You don't need much power if they are efficient enough. 

scroll up and read.

8 hours ago, klh2000 said:

Ok, Those speakers are quite efficient at 91db/W. That lepai amp will be more than enough, you only need a couple of watts.

16 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

One with a peak of 50W

Now I'm confused :S

IDK Why people are saying those things. That amp will be fine. Putting 50W into those speakers would be insanely loud. Get the Lepai if that is all you want to spend. A better amp will be considerably more. 

The 50W speaker rating is just the max, you don't need an amp that can hit that wattage. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

4 minutes ago, fishymamba said:

IDK Why people are saying those things. That amp will be fine. Putting 50W into those speakers would be insanely loud. Get the Lepai if that is all you want to spend. A better amp will be considerably more. 

The 50W speaker rating is just the max, you don't need an amp that can hit that wattage. 

So you mean to say they're just fine? 

I also asked this in /r/audiophile and got these responses 

Spoiler

The SMSL amps, like the one in the OP, or even Topping amps are better than the Lepai. They're all T amps, though - and are optimistically rated (The lepais rather more than the SMSL's). They will run out of headroom and clip if you turn them up.

Spoiler

Your speakers are fairly sensitive if the specs you have linked to are at all accurate. I expect they'll be current hungry, though - that's where t amps might run into trouble, again the Lepai more than the others. You should be okay as long as you don't listen at reasonable levels, For example, with the volume turned up high, you can expect clipping during the cannons in 1812. 

What do you think?

The SMSL amps will definitely be better, but they are also more expensive. I think the cheapest one is $50 compared to the ~$20 of the Lepai. I would just get the Lepai unless you are willing to shell out $70 for the 50w SMSL: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter-Silver/dp/B00A2QLGEQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1456203933&sr=8-5&keywords=SMSL+amp

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

47 minutes ago, fishymamba said:

The SMSL amps will definitely be better, but they are also more expensive. I think the cheapest one is $50 compared to the ~$20 of the Lepai. I would just get the Lepai unless you are willing to shell out $70 for the 50w SMSL: http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter-Silver/dp/B00A2QLGEQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1456203933&sr=8-5&keywords=SMSL+amp

Thanks! Now my only concern is how I'm going to connect these to my PC and speakers.

The SMSL uses a RCA port for inputs while my PC uses a 3.5mm jack, is it fine to just use a splitter-like cable like this?

4 hours ago, minus said:

So you mean to say they're just fine? 

I also asked this in /r/audiophile and got these responses 

Hide contents

The SMSL amps, like the one in the OP, or even Topping amps are better than the Lepai. They're all T amps, though - and are optimistically rated (The lepais rather more than the SMSL's). They will run out of headroom and clip if you turn them up.

Hide contents

Your speakers are fairly sensitive if the specs you have linked to are at all accurate. I expect they'll be current hungry, though - that's where t amps might run into trouble, again the Lepai more than the others. You should be okay as long as you don't listen at reasonable levels, For example, with the volume turned up high, you can expect clipping during the cannons in 1812. 

What do you think?

there right the low watt would work but you coudlnt turn it  up loud. so why not just spend the extra bit now get a more powerful amp and youll be fine.