Monitor or GPU first?

nicolavs16

My PC: i3 4170 and Palit GT630 and Old model generic square type 19inches monitor.

I dont know what to buy first if GPU or MONITOR.

My budget is 150-200 USD. For monitor

And planning to buy GTX750ti on october 2016.

Is my decision good?

kind of depends on what you want to do with it I guess?

Are you a gamer? if so then maybe the 750ti would be better first.. if you're not a gamer and want better screen space etc then the monitor first maybe

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

What resolution is the old Monitor if it's like 480P you should get the monitor first because you won't be able to see the performance of the 750ti with a 480p monitor Otherwise Graphics first

what resolution monitor?

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

22 minutes ago, nicolavs16 said:

My PC: i3 4170 and Palit GT630 and Old model generic square type 19inches monitor.

I dont know what to buy first if GPU or MONITOR.

My budget is 150-200 USD. For monitor

And planning to buy GTX750ti on october 2016.

Is my decision good?

whats your resolution on that monitor?

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I vote monitor especially if your in the sub $200 price range.  Monitor prices are a lot less volatile then GPUs (unless your talking 144hz/1440p/Ultrawide).  This means your money is better invested in a monitor also you will enjoy the monitor 100% of the time your sitting in front of your computer not just when gaming.

BUT if your favoite game isnt running welll maybe get a GPU... Id jut turn the graphics down though... 

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

14 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

kind of depends on what you want to do with it I guess?

Are you a gamer? if so then maybe the 750ti would be better first.. if you're not a gamer and want better screen space etc then the monitor first maybe

14 hours ago, Lk4583 said:

What resolution is the old Monitor if it's like 480P you should get the monitor first because you won't be able to see the performance of the 750ti with a 480p monitor Otherwise Graphics first

14 hours ago, littlelegsone said:

what resolution monitor?

14 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

whats your resolution on that monitor?

11 hours ago, ryanmmax said:

I vote monitor especially if your in the sub $200 price range.  Monitor prices are a lot less volatile then GPUs (unless your talking 144hz/1440p/Ultrawide).  This means your money is better invested in a monitor also you will enjoy the monitor 100% of the time your sitting in front of your computer not just when gaming.

BUT if your favoite game isnt running welll maybe get a GPU... Id jut turn the graphics down though... 

It my case i only play Dota2 and CS:GO because of my GPU which is Palit GT630.

I really want to play like Battefield 4, The new tomb raider i forgot the title but i dont have a good budget for it.

So im thinking of buying a monitor first, Anyway i dont know what resolution are u talking about guys but i this one? Check it out 

D52mJpf.png

So should i go for GTX750ti first or Monitor?

You're monitor seems fine 1024 is close enough to 1080 last question do you think the monitor is to small or are you just OK with it if you're ok with I change my vote to Gpu if you're fine with the monitor if not just buy a new monitor 

Battlefield 4 is fun so ....

2 hours ago, Lk4583 said:

You're monitor seems fine 1024 is close enough to 1080 last question do you think the monitor is to small or are you just OK with it if you're ok with I change my vote to Gpu if you're fine with the monitor if not just buy a new monitor 

Battlefield 4 is fun so ....

Don't forget 1280x1024 is 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9.

It's waaaaaaaaaay less pixels than 1920x1080 (1080p).

1.3 Megapixels vs. 2.1 Megapixels.

So "1024 is close to 1080" isn't really meaningful at all.

I'd recommend OP goes with a monitor upgrade before a GPU upgrade.

That monitor is old, and you'll likely lose any benefit of the GPU upgrade because of how old the monitor is.

However, your 630 is going to struggle at 1080p, so, it also depends how long until you can afford to upgrade the GPU.

If it's going to be another year to save for a GPU, I'd recommend you save until then and buy the new monitor and GPU at the same time.

If it's another 2 months until you can afford the GPU, monitor now, GPU in 2 months.

Hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, rhyseyness said:

Don't forget 1280x1024 is 4:3 aspect ratio, not 16:9.

It's waaaaaaaaaay less pixels than 1920x1080 (1080p).

1.3 Megapixels vs. 2.1 Megapixels.

So "1024 is close to 1080" isn't really meaningful at all.

I'd recommend OP goes with a monitor upgrade before a GPU upgrade.

That monitor is old, and you'll likely lose any benefit of the GPU upgrade because of how old the monitor is.

However, your 630 is going to struggle at 1080p, so, it also depends how long until you can afford to upgrade the GPU.

If it's going to be another year to save for a GPU, I'd recommend you save until then and buy the new monitor and GPU at the same time.

If it's another 2 months until you can afford the GPU, monitor now, GPU in 2 months.

Hope this helps :)

Well said mate, I think ill get the GPU in the next 3-4 months.

Yes i really hate this monitor because its aspect ratio is 4:3 and when playing Dota2 and CS:GO using this aspect ratio. I see big character and the map or what i see is lessen compared to 16:9. The problem on 16:9 ratio is like having a small wide screen monitor. LOL :)

Anyway what is the maximum resolution of my palit gt630?

Im going to pc store tomorrow to canvass what are the monitors available in my budget. And ill try to post the models here in linus to see any comments about it.

Get a monitor ! U can get 22-24" 1080p TN or IPS for around 100$ so save the remaining money towards GPU. I guess u could get one in summer (part-time job, work around a house for family/friends).

Bigger screen and better aspect ration (16:9 is just better overall) will improve your experience while watching movies, videos and using your computer because u get bigger workspace on your desktop. Then when u get new GPU u can fully enjoy 1080p in games too. (For CSGO u might prefer smaller resolution because thats what u used to but for AAA titles u don't want 4:3)

If u buy the GPU u will see massive fps improvement and u don't really need that for CS:GO as that game looks just fine on low settings anyway. 

BF4 is kinda eyecandy game imo and u want to experience that on nice 1080p screen :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

53 minutes ago, Thony said:

Get a monitor ! U can get 22-24" 1080p TN or IPS for around 100$ so save the remaining money towards GPU. I guess u could get one in summer (part-time job, work around a house for family/friends).

Bigger screen and better aspect ration (16:9 is just better overall) will improve your experience while watching movies, videos and using your computer because u get bigger workspace on your desktop. Then when u get new GPU u can fully enjoy 1080p in games too. (For CSGO u might prefer smaller resolution because thats what u used to but for AAA titles u don't want 4:3)

If u buy the GPU u will see massive fps improvement and u don't really need that for CS:GO as that game looks just fine on low settings anyway. 

BF4 is kinda eyecandy game imo and u want to experience that on nice 1080p screen :)

Thanks for your comment bro, Anyway what is the difference of  TN and IPS?

What are other types of monitor?

1. TN

2. IPS

3. ?

4. ? 

Please tell me or link me for a guide. Thanks alot! 

1 hour ago, nicolavs16 said:

Well said mate, I think ill get the GPU in the next 3-4 months.

Yes i really hate this monitor because its aspect ratio is 4:3 and when playing Dota2 and CS:GO using this aspect ratio. I see big character and the map or what i see is lessen compared to 16:9. The problem on 16:9 ratio is like having a small wide screen monitor. LOL :)

Anyway what is the maximum resolution of my palit gt630?

Im going to pc store tomorrow to canvass what are the monitors available in my budget. And ill try to post the models here in linus to see any comments about it.

21 minutes ago, nicolavs16 said:

1. TN

2. IPS

3. ?

4. ? 

So TN is less expensive, but will have worse colour reproduction and worse viewing angles.

IPS will have great viewing angles and better colour reproduction.

It used to be the case that TN panels were faster too, but that's less true now.

That said, a 144Hz IPS monitor will be significantly (like up to 3x) the price of a 144Hz TN monitor.

So you have to decide whether you care more about a higher refresh rate (good for FPS games), or a better looking image (good for photos/movies/RPGs).

In your position, any modern TN panel is going to look loads better than your current monitor, and if you go TN, you can probably afford a higher refresh rate monitor too.

Personally, I have an IPS monitor (bought just last week) and I love it. Everything is beautiful.

However, I don't care all that much for refresh rates above 60Hz, because I've never had a monitor with a higher refresh rate than that (don't miss what you've never had).

I care more about my games looking pretty than running at 100+FPS.

That's the decision you'll have to make, but by the sounds of it, you're on a budget, and play a lot of FPS, so would benefit more from a fast TN panel rather than a pretty IPS one.

As for the "maximum resolution" of your GT630, it will work at 1920x1080, but the frame rate COULD be below a playable level (<30FPS).

Look at benchmarks for that card on the games you play. Should be easy enough to google.

For X% more pixels, you're probably looking at approximately X% lower frame rate. They're pretty closely related.

As a rough estimate, I'd say if you're pushing 100FPS in CS:GO now, you'd probably see more like 60FPS on a 1080p monitor.

I hope this helps, sorry if any of it wasn't very clear.

I'm at work and tired, lol.

1 hour ago, nicolavs16 said:

1. TN

2. IPS

3. ?

4. ? 

Well there is PLS and AVMA but they aren't that common. 

For gaming you don't need to know much. The main difference is colour reproduction (accuracy) of IPS is higher than TN's. So u get richer colours with IPS. But IPS panels commonly have 60Hz refresh rate (TN 75Hz). 

There is very small price difference between 1080p IPS and TN. 

IPS has higher response time of 5ms or higher whereas TN can be at 1ms. Response time doesn't matter for casual gamer (under 6ms is fine). Its only useful for pro players to get on the top of their game.

U can Google and read for more details if u want. Or go watch a YouTube video. I don't have any specific article/video in mind.

PS. I just noticed u plan GPU upgrade for October. By then Pascal line of GPUs will be out and maybe u can get GTX 1050 or 950, both will provide better performance for same or lower price. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

If you go GPU first:

• You'll get to enjoy higher frame rates while you save up for your monitor.
  • You can crank the settings higher due to lower resolution being easier to drive.
  • In some games, you might even be able to use DSR while maintaining high frame rates.

If you go monitor first:

• You'll most likely have to lower the resolution or tolerate very low frame rates.
  • You might not be able to reap the benefits of G-sync/Freesync.
  • You get to enjoy better picture quality.

Basically, if your primary usage is gaming, get the GPU first. If you spend most of your time doing other things, then consider getting the monitor first. A good monitor requires a good GPU to really shine.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Judging by the situation and other people comments, personally, I would go with monitor. As somebody have mentioned above, monitor would be 100% utilized while GPU would only benefit you in games for the time being. You have to ask yourself do you need better FPS than what you currently have? If not then it's another reason to get monitor first. If you are struggling with FPS at the moment and you really don't mind this small monitor then GPU would be better choice.

BUT How in the hell can you look at 4:3 ratio :P ??? To me it's like an eye cancer.

I don't play games you do, but I most certainly would go for 24'' IPS monitor even if it means to lower settings in games. The monitor upgrade would keep reminding you to upgrade your GPU faster and by the time you will upgrade GPU you will do research about GPUs of which one would drive your monitor best.

My Friend Has a 960. Thing is beast, Had my 3440x1440 monitor on it and it was holding 60 Fps in warframe. I would recommend that as a card for 1080p on a budget.

I would go for the Graphics Card First, because having a great monitor is nice, but useless if you cant drive it. However Depending on how much productivity you want the Monitor could take Priority as Your running a Pretty small workspace.

Led and LCD are the same in 90% of monitors,

Led is lit by led's
LCD is lit by CCFL (Fluorescent) 

Both use the same type of panel. 

TN is "best" for Gaming as it is the quickest Switching. 
Here Linus Explains: 

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?