New Build won't Display

Anthony10

Hey LTT community, long time no see.

I'm really at a loss here. I just bought a used cpu and motherboard off a very trusted seller on eBay and received it today. It will be part of a build that I have not bought the other parts for yet. Upon testing it, a ran into the system not booting and being stuck in a reboot loop. Luckily, reseating the CPU fixed that.. sort of.

All parts I am using to test it (everything besides the CPU and Motherboard that I am testing) are confirmed to be working on my other machine minutes before using to test with these two new components.

Anyway, after reseating it, the system finally booted, however no display output. One weird thing is that the EVGA 980 SC that I hooked up to it for testing would, about every 20 seconds, have its fans spin up to max, then decrease to 0 rpm, in a constant loop.

I don't have a motherboard speaker so I couldn't here any beeping, and this motherboard does not have a debug led.

I have tried:

- 1 stick of ram, different sticks and brands of ram, no ram at all

- Clearing CMOS many many times

- Both PCI-E x16 lanes for the 980

- 2 different monitors that I can confirm work

- HDMI and DVI outputs

- Booting with storage connected and without

- Booting with and without fans connected (to CPU fan header)

The GPU is getting power as I eluded to when I mentioned the weird fan spin ups it is having.

EPS and ATX cables are plugged in.

Power supply, ram, 980, and monitors all worked in previous system.

Thermal paste is applied.

I've gone through the entire tomshardware "system won't boot/won't display" sticky checklist.

I consider myself a very experienced system builder, so this has got me quite frustrated and confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would really like to avoid last resorting to telling the seller that it is not working and trying to return it.

Specs:

- i7 970 (no integrated GPU) <- new component that I bought

- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P <- new component that I bought

- NH-UP12

- Crucial Ballistix / Hyper X Fury 8gb Dimms (1600mhz CL9/CL10 respectively) (More than enough for testing :) )

- GTX 980

- EVGA Supernova G2 850W (it's their platinum fanless mode one)

3 minutes ago, Anthony10 said:

Hey LTT community, long time no see.

I'm really at a loss here. I just bought a used cpu and motherboard off a very trusted seller on eBay and received it today. It will be part of a build that I have not bought the other parts for yet. Upon testing it, a ran into the system not booting and being stuck in a reboot loop. Luckily, reseating the CPU fixed that.. sort of.

All parts I am using to test it (everything besides the CPU and Motherboard that I am testing) are confirmed to be working on my other machine minutes before using to test with these two new components.

Anyway, after reseating it, the system finally booted, however no display output. One weird thing is that the EVGA 980 SC that I hooked up to it for testing would, about every 20 seconds, have its fans spin up to max, then decrease to 0 rpm, in a constant loop.

I don't have a motherboard speaker so I couldn't here any beeping, and this motherboard does not have a debug led.

I have tried:

- 1 stick of ram, different sticks and brands of ram, no ram at all

- Clearing CMOS many many times

- Both PCI-E x16 lanes for the 980

- 2 different monitors that I can confirm work

- HDMI and DVI outputs

- Booting with storage connected and without

- Booting with and without fans connected (to CPU fan header)

The GPU is getting power as I eluded to when I mentioned the weird fan spin ups it is having.

EPS and ATX cables are plugged in.

Power supply, ram, 980, and monitors all worked in previous system.

Thermal paste is applied.

I've gone through the entire tomshardware "system won't boot/won't display" sticky checklist.

I consider myself a very experienced system builder, so this has got me quite frustrated and confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would really like to avoid last resorting to telling the seller that it is not working and trying to return it.

Specs:

- i7 970 (no integrated GPU) <- new component that I bought

- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P <- new component that I bought

- NH-UP12

- Crucial Ballistix / Hyper X Fury 8gb Dimms (1600mhz CL9/CL10 respectively) (More than enough for testing :) )

- GTX 980

- EVGA Supernova G2 850W (it's their platinum fanless mode one)

i'm guessing you don't have another mobo compatible with your CPU?

Just now, TGROBBO said:

i'm guessing you don't have another mobo compatible with your CPU?

Correct, the CPU and motherboard that I am testing are the only 1366 components that I have, meaning I can not test with a different motherboard or CPU, unfortunately.

Both's warranties have expired, too.

3 minutes ago, Anthony10 said:

Correct, the CPU and motherboard that I am testing are the only 1366 components that I have, meaning I can not test with a different motherboard or CPU, unfortunately.

Both's warranties have expired, too.

as you said you are an experienced builder, im assuming you must have more than one mobo, surely you would have a mobo speaker in another build?/ from another build?

Just now, TGROBBO said:

as you said you are an experienced builder, im assuming you must have more than one mobo, surely you would have a mobo speaker in another build?/ from another build?

I haven't dealt with older motherboards for awhile and moved recently, a lot of small things like that got left behind :( I do not have another X58/1366 motherboard, though.

1 minute ago, Anthony10 said:

I haven't dealt with older motherboards for awhile and moved recently, a lot of small things like that got left behind :( I do not have another X58/1366 motherboard, though.

I'm pretty sure any mobo speaker would work with any mobo (just a 4 pin connector), and without that you can't tell, as you know, whether the system is posting or not, and the fact the mobo doesn't have a debug led doesn't help either.