Best GPU for parents

1 minute ago, App4that said:

How is it a waste? My wife's 970m is pretty close and she went from a iGPU to it even though everyone said the same thing you and other are, and had to admit I was right. She's in love with how responsive it is and the difference in how quickly she gets things done. 

Well, shit. What does she do?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Just get her a GT 730. That's enough and cheap to have two monitor's running fam.

Seconded. If you wanna get real fancy maybe even splurge and go for the 740.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Well, shit. What does she do?

Similar things to me, we're both college students. Well, I'm a undergrad and she's the fancy PhD student xD but she also uses PhotoShop, Indesign, Illustrator. All at the same time which she was unable to do with the iGPU before. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Similar things to me, we're both college students. Well, I'm a undergrad and she's the fancy PhD student xD but she also uses PhotoShop, Indesign, Illustrator. All at the same time which she was unable to do with the iGPU before. 

Sounds about right.

I was expecting more YouTube-level but I know that it'll improve heavily in anything Adobe.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, App4that said:

Extremely bad xD

I ran my HD4600 for weeks while I saved up for a 980ti. It would cause crashes going from screen to screen. You curser would vanish after crossing over. And forget about transferring applications for one the other.

And yes I had all the old drivers removed and the HD4600 drivers loaded. Ended up disconnecting the second monitor to avoid crashes.

Uh, the Ati MR HD4250 in this laptop has no problems with the 1080p screen, the inbuilt 1366x768 screen and a 1024x768 LCD monitor, and its weaker than the Intel HD4400

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Uh, the Ati MR HD4250 in this laptop has no problems with the 1080p screen, the inbuilt 1366x768 screen and a 1024x768 LCD monitor, and its weaker than the Intel HD4400

Person 184,726,825. To not read the topic.

Read the opening post where the OP asks for a solution that gives them the most performance. Then feel bad, I promise a hug.

You'll feel right as rain.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Person 184,726,825. To not read the topic.

Read the opening post where the OP asks for a solution that gives them the most performance. Then feel bad, I promise a hug.

You'll feel right as rain.

I was responding to your statement. I'm pretty sure that I read that one correctly.

PMSL

I've never had issues with dual monitors on Intel iGPU's, nor have I ever heard of issues from anyone else (in person)... The vast majority of people at my work run a second monitor off of their 3rd gen Intel LAPTOP processors and its just fine. A Skylake desktop chip won't have a problem with a couple excel sheets and a webpage...

I mean if money is tight enough on the build that $120 is the cut-off why risk wasting it on something that may not be a performance gain? Or at least just build the computer without the dGPU and see what it is like, if for some odd reason it isn't fast enough for an excel sheet you can buy the dGPU.

8 hours ago, App4that said:

You've never run two monitors off a HD integrated have you?

Yes I did. When you're running for example, laptop and an external monitor.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

GTX 650 2gb, GTX 650 TI, GTX 650 TI BOOST, GTX 750, GTX 750 TI

R9 370 R7 240

of them all id probably go r7 240 if she honestly never games more than flash games. super cheap, quiet as a church mouse and handles well on multi monitor

I think the GTX 750 Ti (Green team) or R9 270 (Red team) are probably a good bet. Anything older than GeForce 8600 or Radeon HD 2600 will have driver troubles in modern operating systems. Or you can go for second-hand GTX 680 (AAA gaming ready)

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I was responding to your statement. I'm pretty sure that I read that one correctly.

Yes, my statement is that a iGPU is fine for the average person, plenty of average people have commented supporting that claim xD

But if you want performance, you want a dGPU.

Get a gt 210 or a *10 series card and spend the extra money on an ssd( system will be much more responsive) 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 2/20/2016 at 2:57 PM, App4that said:

You've never run two monitors off a HD integrated have you?

I have. and using AMD, and currently my parents have my old setup. A computer from 2011 that has integrated AMD graphics that can run skyrim on high settings

1 minute ago, DJ25380 said:

I have. and using AMD, and currently my parents have my old setup. A computer from 2011 that has integrated AMD graphics that can run skyrim on high settings

Mobility Radeon HD5650/5770 (aka 100MHz OC)+Phenom II/first gen Core i*?

PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Mobility Radeon HD5650/5770 (aka 100MHz OC)+Phenom II/first gen Core i*?

I ran on a dual core Athlon II X2 clocked at 3.0 and the integrated HD4200, and if i could do that with something of lower you can defiantly do more with a higher end CPU and iGPU

6 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

I ran on a dual core Athlon II X2 clocked at 3.0 and the integrated HD4200, and if i could do that with something of lower you can defiantly do more with a higher end CPU and iGPU

Its just that for high settings in Skyrim at 1366x768, that's the dGPU I used. The primary dGPU (MR HD4250, the low power one) however isn't as good at running Skyrim, mainly due to only having access to 320MB vRAM as opposed to 1GB.

PMSL

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Its just that for high settings in Skyrim at 1366x768, that's the dGPU I used. The primary dGPU (MR HD4250, the low power one) however isn't as good at running Skyrim, mainly due to only having access to 320MB vRAM as opposed to 1GB.

I give up trying to help

On 2/20/2016 at 6:01 PM, thutzell13579 said:

Currently, she's actually using a Gtx 7500 (I didn't now it existed either), but I don't want to downgrade.

The Geforce 7500 LE is an ancient low/midrange OEM-only card. I believe it's a rebranded 7300 GS. It doesn't really compare to anything new from either company.

The HD 4600 graphics in Haswell CPUs is about as fast as a Geforce 7800 GS from that generation. HD 530 graphics in Skylake CPUs is on par with an 8800 Ultra.

Edit: You're getting integrated graphics of some sort almost no matter what you buy today. May as well try it first, and if it isn't working out, then worry about getting a faster card.

1 hour ago, DJ25380 said:

OP isn't asking about gaming, they're asking about productivity. Two completely different topics

3 hours ago, App4that said:

OP isn't asking about gaming, they're asking about productivity. Two completely different topics

Oh in that case somthing like a R7 240/x or R7 250/x for AMD, and like a GT730/740

On 2/20/2016 at 2:52 PM, thutzell13579 said:

I'm looking to build my mom a new computer. Her computer is used every day for working from home. She is very active on the computer but does absolutely no gaming. She is mainly sending emails, pictures, making spreadsheets, browsing the web, moderately watches videos, and must be able to use two monitors. She can't stand a slow computer, because she tries to get as much work done as possible in a little time. The budget for how GPU is $120. It's ok if that price range is a little overkill for what she does, but no shame in telling me if it is too overkill. In conclusion, she just needs a GPU for great productivity but doesn't need to support games. What do you suggest. I will take the most frequent graphics cards suggested and create a poll from that.