Can you use a headset for the mic and use different headphones for sound?

CheekyBeverage
Go to solution Solved by GM_Peka,

No issues what so ever, just have them both plugged in how ever, and choose your default devices for audio/mic in "Sound".

I planning on purchasing the "Massdrop x AKG K7XX Limited Red Edition" headphones. Can I use my headset and the AKG headphones at the same? I would use the headset as a microphone and the AKG headphones for my sound.

Thanks in advance!

Should be able to Windows accepts multiple inputs/outputs. It'd be easier if the mic set and the sound set both used 3.5mm jack. Otherwise you might get issues configuring.

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

No issues what so ever, just have them both plugged in how ever, and choose your default devices for audio/mic in "Sound".

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Yes, and as a matter of fact I did that awhile back.

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

yeah its fine just select the headphones as headphones and headsets microphone in the options, you also have to wear two headphones which is a bit silly but it works.

The Dick of the audio page!

2 hours ago, CheekyBeverage said:

I planning on purchasing the "Massdrop x AKG K7XX Limited Red Edition" headphones. Can I use my headset and the AKG headphones at the same? I would use the headset as a microphone and the AKG headphones for my sound.

Thanks in advance!

You have two ways:

If you connect the headsets via 3.5mm jacks, plug the headset you want the sound to come out of into the audio-out port and the mic jack of the second headset into the audio-in port (mic).

If your headsets connect via USB, then you need to go into the Windows > Sound Options and select which one is the default playback device and which one is the default recording device.

However, either method works ONLY if at least one of the headsets you are using HAS a microphone.  If neither of your headsets have a mic, you can't do anything that would make the speakers on the headsets work as a mic.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Thank you for your replies! And I am looking forward to purchasing the AKG K7XXs :)