How can i overclock my Core 2 Duo E8500 to more than 3.3 GHz?

Yesterday i tried to overclock my Core 2 Duo E8500. It stopped working at 3.3 GHz (incrementing the bus speed) and i had to reset the CMOS battery. How do i overclock my CPU past that value? 3.5 GHz is the minimum i want.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

You can try increasing the voltage, but be careful. There are no guarntees on how much you can overclock your cpu. My old e6500 was stable at max 3,3GHz.

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Yesterday i tried to overclock my Core 2 Duo E8500. It stopped working at 3.3 GHz (incrementing the bus speed) and i had to reset the CMOS battery. How do i overclock my CPU past that value? 3.5 GHz is the minimum i want.

you don't

you keep pushing it..and you are gonna kill it

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

1 minute ago, techguru said:

you don't

you keep pushing it..and you are gonna kill it

gg best answer ever gg

2 minutes ago, Hodor said:

You can try increasing the voltage, but be careful. There are no guarntees on how much you can overclock your cpu. My old e6500 was stable at max 3,3GHz.

Is the core voltage the vcore voltage? 

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Is the core voltage the vcore voltage? 

increasing voltage wont do anything except reducing its lifespan. leave it alone.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

If it stopped working at 3.3 leave it 3.3. it wont go any higher. if it does it will most likely be unstable and the lifespan of the chip will be greatly reduced. Leave it alone or you will end up frying your CPU

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<

You can do *small* Vcore increases and small Mhz increases, but if you cant afford to replace it.. dont touch it...

My old E6600 went to I *think* 3.6Ghz at reasonable voltage, but it did start degrading after 2-3 years.

Did you check your FSB:DRAM Ratios?

39 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

increasing voltage wont do anything except reducing its lifespan. leave it alone.

Small increments are fine. Heck I run my i7-5960X/5930K at more than recommended voltage, But I accept the risks of doing so in that they may degrade or die quicker {and the higher heat output/power consumption} (but given I usually change CPUs every 3 years, I can live with this).

25 minutes ago, Elfuego said:

Small increments are fine. Heck I run my i7-5960X/5930K at more than recommended voltage, But I accept the risks of doing so in that they may degrade or die quicker {and the higher heat output/power consumption} (but given I usually change CPUs every 3 years, I can live with this).

no shit- but increasing voltage on a cpu thats not made for overclocking wont just magically increase its clock.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

2 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

no shit- but incresasing voltage on a cpu thats not made for overclocking wont just magically increase its clock.

In the old days you could OC any CPU; they didnt really differentiate with the -K SKUs.

I'm pretty sure 8500s are the old FSB era (Pre-BCLK) and I dont think any CPUs apart from the Xtreme Editions were multi unlocked (like 1st Gen Core-ix-5/6/9xx.).

My guess is he is probably trying to bump it in one go instead of small genetle incremements of everything.

Just now, Elfuego said:

In the old days you could OC any CPU; they didnt really differentiate with the -K SKUs

still doesnt increase clock as the guy said above- might improve stability as its crashing above 3.3ghz tho. but i get your point.

Fire Strike Score

3 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

still doesnt increase clock as the guy said above- might improve stability as its crashing above 3.3ghz tho. but i get your point.

It can let you attain higher clocks - ones that you cant even post with Stock Volts you might get with some Vcore increase, but how much you are willing to increase it is a personal thing.

And 24/7 Vcore is very different from benching Vcores.

I run day to day at ~4.6-4.8Ghz @1.28-1.33V but I have had my 5930K past 5Ghz, but it requires too much Vcore to be there and stable for normal use. (1.445).

In comparison I have a G3258 that I dont even care how much Vcore I put into it (within reason) because its £25 and if it dies its cheap to replace,

Just now, Elfuego said:

It can let you attain higher clocks - ones that you cant even post with Stock Volts you might get with some Vcore increase, but how much you are willing to increase it is a personal thing.

And 24/7 Vcore is very different from benching Vcores.

I run day to day at ~4.6-4.8Ghz @1.28-1.33V but I have had my 5930K past 5Ghz, but it requires too much Vcore to be there and stable for normal use. (1.445)

i agree, i know how overclocking works. my 5820k does 4.8 @ 1.275v too but this thread was about a damn c2d e8500 and not our k skus :ph34r:

Fire Strike Score

On 16/02/2016 at 9:07 AM, Minsekt said:

i agree, i know how overclocking works. my 5820k does 4.8 @ 1.275v too but this thread was about a damn c2d e8500 and not our k skus :ph34r:

Back then all CPUs could be OCed; you just raised FSB instead of multi/bclk