PS Vita TV is a mini console that brings games and services to your TV, arrives November for around $100

snowComet

It may sounds confusing initially. PS Vita TV is a console, which you can play PSone Classics, PSP and Vita games on it. You can plug a playstation controller to play it. You can access to Sony's Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited service, karaoke and etc through this. But the most important thing is you can remote play ps4 games through it. So you can play ps4 games while yr playstation 4 is in another room.

psvitatv.jpg

xl002-1378720524.jpg.pagespeed.ic.prK58N

You can find a HDMI output, space for a (proprietary Vita) memory card, a slot for Vita games (on the side), plus USB, power and ethernet ports on it. It costs 9,954 yen, which is around $100, and will be available in Japan on 14th November.

Promotion Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5l78gbvpU

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/ps-vita-tv-launch-date/

Interesting.  ^_^

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Not interested but thats pretty cool.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

This is really fucking cool. I wonder if it would be able to run other apps on teh market as well like Netflix and such. It would certainly have the power to do so.This makes me think that Sony understands what is happening in the market right now. IF this device offers streaming outside of the Sony universe it would be something I would really want to get over something like a Roku. Shit, as it is I am really considering picking up one of those $200 12GB PS3s since I currently don't have a media box on my TV or a PS3 and I really want to play Beyond: Two Souls. My other option would be to find a used PS3 on craigslist.

But seriously, I feel that Sony is diversifying their platform in a smart way.

That's pretty cool. I can see this working on a console that is being shared between people, instead of having to move a console around or keeping it someone communal, people can have these in there rooms/wherever they want to play their PS4 games and just play them there. Not sure if it is worth the $100 though.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Wow, did not see that coming tbh. Well played Sony, I'd love to see this reviewed to see if its any good

P.S: I'll wet myself laughing if it does most of what the Xbox One is supposed to do entertainment centre wise

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I'm not gonna lie. I kind of want one. If there is enough content or if you can stream from a PC to a TV easily then I will probably be getting one.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

i would love to have one of these, me and my bro cant afford two consoles an we rarely want to play at the same time and this would be an awesome fix, instead of moving the console around.

I'm not gonna lie. I kind of want one. If there is enough content or if you can stream from a PC to a TV easily then I will probably be getting one.

If you cant stream from your PC it will die a death though, I mean Chromecast is so cheap

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

If you cant stream from your PC it will die a death though, I mean Chromecast is so cheap

What do you mean by "die a death". 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I must first say this: I am a PC gamer (3820 at 4.8 GHz, 2x GTX 680, 32 GB ram, gaming at 60 fps at 2560x1440, blah, blah).  In the past, I post about my predictions of the near future based on the insanely fast progression and advancement of mobile hardware including SoC's.

Therefore I forecast the Android console fast approaching.  Yes, Ouya didn't have a lot of success, and nVidia Shield appears to have average success so far.  But, like with mobile phones, the weak power of the Ouya is only a small blip of failure... there will be incredibly powerful mobile-powered devices very, very soon. (search nVidia Project Logan).

Now onto my real comment.  This is very well played by Sony.  PSVita is not a wild success, though it is also not a failure like Ouya.  For the first time ever, a console maker (one of MS, Nintendo, and Sony) has made a move that is actually smart in the industry.  Everyone knows (even if they want to deny) that Android and iOS games are wildly popular.  There are easily more casual gamers in quantity than hardcore gamers.

Rather than being stubborn like Nintendo (e.g. old Japanese execs who are stubborn and believe they are gods in the industry, thus releasing a Wii U), and being arrogant like Microsoft (e.g. thinking they can do all the draconian things they wanted with Xbox One), Sony is actually reacting to the ever-changing industry... *SHOCKER*!!  Here are the reasons why I think that PS Vita TV console is a good idea:

• compete with a newly emerging "mini/iight console" market
  • can market the device as a cheap video streamer device for Netflix that can do more than just stream video
  • launch the device with a *very* adequate library, including AAA games such as Uncharted GA or AC3 Liberation (i.e. not just simple Fruit Chop games)
  • cause more development of PSVita titles, growing the library faster
  • cheap alternative to the craze of PS4 and Xbox One this Black Friday, especially if those 2 consoles are sold-out at locations

As stated earlier, I'll continue to game on my nice gaming PC.  And I don't think we can know for sure if this Vita console will be a major success.  One thing I can honestly state however is that it is finally a brilliant move by a console maker.  Sony was already in good-standing on that front with the price and non-locked game disc announcements of the PS4 earlier this year.

What do you mean by "die a death". 

bad glamour, **if you cant stream with it, it will die a death

Basically I mean that if someone can buy something extremely cheap that can stream from a PC/laptop/phone/tablet/console that is a nominal price, something more expensive will not survive, no matter how pretty it might be

bad glamour, **if you cant stream with it, it will die a death

Basically I mean that if someone can buy something extremely cheap that can stream from a PC/laptop/phone/tablet/console that is a nominal price, something more expensive will not survive, no matter how pretty it might be

I see what you mean. Yea but it can also play games and stuff. Not that I care about that stuff. All I want is something that I can stream my PC to a TV, perhaps I will just buy a really long HDMI cable or a very long DVI-D cable.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Good move on Sony's half. Some people just don't want to get a Vita because they don't want to play on a 5" screen, be restricted to your battery life, etc. etc., but with this you can essentially use the PS Vita as an actual home console instead of a mobile console. So now all of those people who were hazy about getting a Vita, can get one + this device + a controller and play those Vita games on the big screen.

Again, very good move Sony, very good move.

JjCLdhk.gif

COMIC SANS

I would sure love a $500 bundle of a PS4, Vita and Vita TV.

Maybe $550? Possibly throw in another controller?

Make me want the console Sony! Otherwise I'll just get a cheap $250 PS3 with a 500GB hard drive that is bundled with GTA V.

I would sure love a $500 bundle of a PS4, Vita and Vita TV.

Maybe $550? Possibly throw in another controller?

Make me want the console Sony! Otherwise I'll just get a cheap $250 PS3 with a 500GB hard drive that is bundled with GTA V.

Honestly, I'd buy that bundle if it was around $550. You're essentially getting 2 consoles. 

COMIC SANS

You know what else this is great for that hasn't been brought up already? Streaming or recording Vita games. Before now I think all the setups were either complicated video cameras with varying levels of "removing the problems of recording a screen with a camera", or some expensive and warranty-voiding hardware mods. Now you just need anything that can record off an HDMI input.

But personally, I'd like them to release an accessory that lets you do this with a regular Vita too... mainly because I already own a Vita. Still, $100 is a much more attractive price for getting people into the Vita games so they can realize that it really does have a lot of good titles. My only worry is, some of the Vita games I own would be impossible to complete without the touch screen, but that fact isn't apparent right at the beginning. Hopefully it's compatible with the PS4 controller though; that has the touchpad in the middle that would probably work out just fine for replacing touchscreen controls. Still can't do anything about the rear touchpad, but nobody cares about that anyway.

$100 is a pretty good deal for a console. Really good thing to give your regular HD TV some entertainment and features. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Really cool, I'd buy it if I can play videos on my TV from my PC.

Im probably going to buy it just so I can play my jak and daxter HD collection on my TV from my vita. I wouldn't have to If I had a ps3, but nah, I only own portable consoles, lol

Im probably going to buy it just so I can play my jak and daxter HD collection on my TV from my vita. I wouldn't have to If I had a ps3, but nah, I only own portable consoles, lol

Wasn't there supposed to eventually be a cable for HDMI out via the bottom port?  If so, and if such a cable exists, maybe you can use it instead of buying a new console, even though it's only $100.

call me a "gay faggot" or "money whore" or whatever, but this thing'll be perfect, I mean PERFECT for recording walkthroughs... I mean like, holy crap.

Wasn't there supposed to eventually be a cable for HDMI out via the bottom port?  If so, and if such a cable exists, maybe you can use it instead of buying a new console, even though it's only $100.

There was one port only labeled as "accessory" that a lot of people were hoping could have an HDMI adapter for external displays or recording, but it has not come to pass and there is currently nothing that actually uses it.