75hz vs 60hz

DJ25380

So i got this one monitor that at the time of purchase i believed that it would work at 1080p and 75hz as advertised, false.

Yes the monitor supports 1080p.

Yes it could run 75Hz.

But the problem is that it doesnt run 75hz at 1920x1080, instead it only runs at 75Hz when its at 1280x1024, yet the native ratio for the panel is 16x9. Why is it like that?

Is there anyway to make 75hz run on 1080?

(this monitor is something i got off Ebay for a good price at the time.)

3 hours ago, byalexandr said:

What interface are you using?

What do you mean?

2 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

What do you mean?

HDMI or DisplayPort or DVI?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

3 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

HDMI or DisplayPort or DVI?

DVI? HDMI? DisplayPort? VGA?

HDMI

Yes, some monitors are (IMO wrongly) advertised as that, and unfortunately it isn't possible to run 75Hz at 1080p on it, unless you overclock the panel, and have enough luck to get it working fine. 

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

HDMI

That's probably the problem. Try using DisplayPort or a Dual Link DVI cable. HDMI generations are weird and it likely you have an older generation of HDMI that doesn't support 1080p at 75Hz.

3 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Yes, some monitors are (IMO wrongly) advertised as that, and unfortunately it isn't possible to run 75Hz at 1080p on it, unless you overclock the panel, and have enough luck to get it working fine. 

By overclock, i could go to my GPU settings and set the Resolution to 1440p, would that work with Hz?

That's probably the problem. Try using DisplayPort or a Dual Link DVI cable. HDMI generations are weird and it likely you have an older generation of HDMI that doesn't support 1080p at 75Hz.

There isnt an option of 75hz in the Catalyst even, Wouldn't it still be there if it supports it?

Just now, DJ25380 said:

There isnt an option of 75hz in the Catalyst even, Wouldn't it still be there if it supports it?

It's not there, because it doesn't support it. If you change the resolution to 1280x1024, it should appear. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just now, DJ25380 said:

Yes it would. But it's likely that it doesn't, which is why it isn't showing up.

What monitor did you buy? It's also likely that it overclocks to 75Hz and you'll have to do it yourself.

12 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

So i got this one monitor that at the time of purchase i believed that it would work at 1080p and 75hz as advertised, false.

Yes the monitor supports 1080p.

Yes it could run 75Hz.

But the problem is that it doesnt run 75hz at 1920x1080, instead it only runs at 75Hz when its at 1280x1024, yet the native ratio for the panel is 16x9. Why is it like that?

Is there anyway to make 75hz run on 1080?

(this monitor is something i got off Ebay for a good price at the time.)

you can try to set the resolution and the Hz so when you mouse 2 and go to display settings it will pick 1920x1080 75hz

3 hours ago, RayvinTek said:

you can try to set the resolution and the Hz so when you mouse 2 and go to display settings it will pick 1920x1080 75hz

Once you select 75Hz it switches back to 1280x1024

Yes it would. But it's likely that it doesn't, which is why it isn't showing up.

What monitor did you buy? It's also likely that it overclocks to 75Hz and you'll have to do it yourself.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3193125337396021960/specs?sclient=psy-ab&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&q=st2421l+dell&oq=ST2421L&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.113943164,d.d2s&ion=1&tch=1&ech=1&psi=lCG9VoHII4Gv-QH2z72gAw.1455246474371.3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja9IKz9_DKAhVI2T4KHY7kBuMQuC8IgAE

4 minutes ago, DJ25380 said:

Once you select 75Hz it switches back to 1280x1024

if you set a custom resolution and refresh rate and its not supported you should get a black screen. wait 15 seconds or so and it will revert back to the previous resolution.

3 hours ago, RayvinTek said:

if you set a custom resolution and refresh rate and its not supported you should get a black screen. wait 15 seconds or so and it will revert back to the previous resolution.

I'm aware of that, how exactly does this help?

I'm aware of that, how exactly does this help?

from the monitor specs 75hz is not supported.

setting custom 1920x1080 and overclocking by 1hz at a time will be the only way to find the refresh limit

example: 1920x1080 61hz, if that works them move on to 62hz and so on

This is very common, most monitors will list a frequency range in the specifications, typically around 50-75Hz for vertical refresh and 30-85KHz for horizontal. This is the total frequency range the monitor supports, it is technical information not intended for marketing or for a general specifications list. However unfortunately some retailers who do not really understand the details will misinterpret this and list the monitor as 75Hz.

42 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This is very common, most monitors will list a frequency range in the specifications, typically around 50-75Hz for vertical refresh and 30-85KHz for horizontal. This is the total frequency range the monitor supports, it is technical information not intended for marketing or for a general specifications list. However unfortunately some retailers who do not really understand the details will misinterpret this and list the monitor as 75Hz.

Dang even my Dell U2515H can overclock while its known for a 0 overclock they even tell on the BOX... MAX 60hz when i overclocked too 80Hz xD

OP:

Review the product before buying and see what people's results are with overclocking a panel...

Edited by Redicat

My ACER is a 75hz panel at like 800x600, luckily i get 74.6hz overclocked at 1080P which is basically 75hz.

I use HDMI.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

On 2/12/2016 at 6:51 PM, LokiFire said:

My ACER is a 75hz panel at like 800x600, luckily i get 74.6hz overclocked at 1080P which is basically 75hz.

I use HDMI.

AMD or Nvidia?