Use an old receiver as headphone amp ?

Guest Generallee

So, i have this problem with my integrated realtek 7.1 sound card, it is configured as 5.1 in windows audio manager and the realtek audio manager and it works absolutely fine with my basic entry level logitech x530's, however, if i want to use my m40x's i have two choices, either crawl under the desk and plug them directly into one of the free jacks and set it up as "headphones" on the realtek manager, or plug them directly into the headphone port of the x530's. The problem is either way, i can't hear shit, litterally it's like the volume is locked at 30% or something, i pushed every volume slider in windows to the max, nothing, even the knob on the x530's does nothing as i think it goes passtrough. The only way to make them work is crawling under the desk every time and unplugging the x530's three jacks, plugging the headphones, go to audio manager set up to 2.0 and then it sounds normal. My case's front audio is busted so that's out of the equation since it's not even plugged into the mobo. Now, i have a fairly old sony DAV S880 (picture below) that's lying around doing nothing so i thought hey, it has an optical In, the mobo got an optical out, i then connected everything and the m40x's sound of course waaaay better and louder than the mobo's output, i also installed a utility called audioswitch that lets me set up a key to quickly switch between outputs on the fly.

sony_dav-s880.jpg

TLDR : headphones too quiet on mobo, no monies to buy dac/amp, mobo + optical out + old sony receiver = dac/amp ?

you can use the headphone out on the amp, often they are amplified as well, although many amps have a high noise floor so that may be noticable.

couldn't you set one of the rear outputs on your mobo as (front) headphone output and gain some volume that way

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

use the headphone out, not speaker out, or you might blow your headphones

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

use the headphone out, not speaker out, or you might blow your headphones

Yes of course, i'm using the receivers hp out

Another question i have, on the sticker this thing still got on the front, it says Dolby Digital/DTS, now using windows audio manager when i test Dolby, it works and a little "Dolby" lights up on the receiver, but when testing DTS, nothing

Anybody got a clue ? Is it because of optical ?

this should be fine if your ok with the size of it :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You can try it, but don't be surprised if the noise floor is depressingly high.

5 hours ago, SSL said:

You can try it, but don't be surprised if the noise floor is depressingly high.

I just looked up what noise floor is, i don't really think it is that noticeable at fairly mid volume since i don't want to explode my ears

However i do hear that hiss at super uber high volumes with nothing playing

Unless you have a 'real soundcard' I don't think the optical out is gonna do audio only dts is dvd's or videos encoded. ..

Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure onboard audio won't do it you need to use the headphone out to a 3.5mm stereo rca thing to your receiver input of choiuce

18 hours ago, Generallee said:

Another question i have, on the sticker this thing still got on the front, it says Dolby Digital/DTS, now using windows audio manager when i test Dolby, it works and a little "Dolby" lights up on the receiver, but when testing DTS, nothing

In the Windows Playback devices go under properties (mine says "SPDIF-OUT"), under supported formats make sure DTS Audio is checked, and if it doesn't work under Sample Rates check each rate one at a time.

It's possible your motherboard doesn't support it.  You could try finding a newer driver on the manufacturer's website.