Mobile App Development

TruisticHurdle1

I'm looking to develop a weather app using the Weather Underground API. 

I want to produce the app for IOS and Android. Then eventually to WatchOS and Android Wear. 

What type of program or language should I get started with. (I want to teach myself as I go, but I want to make sure I'm using the proper software. 

To be clear, this is a fun project for me. Not in it for monetization or fame. Just want to create a really cool weather app! 

I would recommend sticking to Android then since I am almost sure that you have to pay to get Access to the iOS dev kit

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

1 minute ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

I would recommend sticking to Android then since I am almost sure that you have to pay to get Access to the iOS dev kit

You have to pay 100 bucks a year in order to publish the app and keep it on the store. 

I don't mind that when the time comes. 

I've alredy downloaded XCode. Anyone used this before? Is it what I should use?

If you want to start with iOS, then start learning Swift. XCode is a good editor for this.

If you want to start with Android, start learning Java. Android Studio is a good editor for this.

If you have no programming experience, it can be easier to learn the language by itself before adding the iOS/Android platform into the mix. It's just less material thrown at you all at once.

3 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

If you want to start with iOS, then start learning Swift. XCode is a good editor for this.

If you want to start with Android, start learning Java. Android Studio is a good editor for this.

If you have no programming experience, it can be easier to learn the language by itself before adding the iOS/Android platform into the mix. It's just less material thrown at you all at once.

Sounds good! Thanks!

Yup, Swift and Xcode.  I'm about to learn Swift too. Good luck on your path! *taps on shoulder*

、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``
、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽマッテェ(ノ;Д;)ノ `、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、
ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``

iOS development can be very expensive, lots of apple fees plus you need to have a mac to develop those apps. I'd just start with Android and see if the app gets any popularity and such.

Regarding iOS vs Android considering expensivness this might be helpful:

https://infinum.co/the-capsized-eight/articles/android-development-is-30-percent-more-expensive-than-ios

Imho

If you're a dev trying to learn:

- if you have a mac go with iOS

- otherwise go with Android

If you're hiring, go with the opinion of the people you hired.