I Want To Learn Guitar

Rashy

I want to learn guitar, The covers and songs kinda makes me wants to learn how to play those songs, but where do i start?

I want to learn Classic Rock songs in general. Kansas, AC/DC, and lots of other classic rock bands. People told me to get acoustic guitar first but i wouldnt be able to play rock songs, and i dont want to save up for another electric guitar. I can only buy one guitar. So what do i really buy first?

I also cant afford a guitar teacher so i want to learn it myself, through the power of internet! I see alot of people play Rocksmith, is Rocksmith a good learning tool? I wouldnt mind reading some long guide from the internet if it isnt. Also i already have an amplifier though i dont think its for guitars. Its more like a mini amp for my speakers for my pc, but it has a 6.5mm jack.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I don't know what would be the best available to you in your country, but here in America the Dean Vendetta is the cheapest and best bang for your buck guitar that I've personally come across.

If you wanna learn, you may want to start learning on this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/guitarlessonscom

After you learn some chords and the basics, you can start learning those songs you wanna play. Just keep this in mind: I'm 99.999999999999999999% sure you're not going to learn all of this overnight. This stuff takes time. I was able to play my first song within a week of learning the guitar, for example. It was sloppy, but I played it.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I don't know what would be the best available to you in your country, but here in America the Dean Vendetta is the cheapest and best bang for your buck guitar that I've personally come across.

If you wanna learn, you may want to start learning on this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/guitarlessonscom

After you learn some chords and the basics, you can start learning those songs you wanna play. Just keep this in mind: I'm 99.999999999999999999% sure you're not going to learn all of this overnight. This stuff takes time. I was able to play my first song within a week of learning the guitar, for example. It was sloppy, but I played it.

Well. the most common and cheapest here is Yamaha, their stores are in most malls, fender, a few. Other than those, i would have to buy them off online and get them shipped to me.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

1 minute ago, Rashy said:

Well. the most common and cheapest here is Yamaha, their stores are in most malls, fender, a few. Other than those, i would have to buy them off online and get them shipped to me.

I wouldn't go with anything Yamaha, personally.

Anything Fender is fine. Just don't spend too much to start out. If you can though, I would order a Dean Vendetta if it's not too expensive.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I wouldn't go with anything Yamaha, personally.

Anything Fender is fine. Just don't spend too much to start out. If you can though, I would order a Dean Vendetta if it's not too expensive.

Hmmm would 145.99 USD be a good price? man are indonesian economy weak....

If its cheap, and it looks sexy..... I would have to save up more...

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

1 minute ago, Rashy said:

Hmmm would 145.99 USD be a good price? man are indonesian economy weak....

If its cheap, and it looks sexy..... I would have to save up more...

For the Dean guitar? Yeah that's a good price I suppose. It's still better than most guitars you'll find in that price bracket.

Learning guitar is a lot like learning to snowboard. Its terrible and hurts when you start, but afterwards its freakin' amazing. Let me preface this with the fact that I'm completely self taught, and used to be a semi-pro musician playing at shows and on TV programs.

I'd suggest getting a secondhand acoustic guitar to start. When you're learning chords, songs, and scales, the differences between a $400 and $2000 guitar aren't super apparent. The reasons I say get an acoustic is three fold:

1. It will keep you honest. Fret buzz and dead strings are a lot more prevalent on an acoustic, so it will force you to learn correct fingerings
  2. Less maintenance. Most electric guitars will have more things you can tune, which can be daunting for a beginner. Floating bridge, pickup height, gnarly truss rod adjustments, etc.
  3. More affordable. With an acoustic guitar, you're good to go, with an electric you'll need an amp, patch cables, and if you're wanting to get more classic rock tones, probably a pedal or two. All the options for these different components can also be overwhelming

As for what to learn, choose songs you like, and then look them up on youtube. If it seems too difficult, maybe try another song. If you try to just learn chords, scales, or crap like greensleeves you'll lose interest really quick. If you're into the Beatles, their first few albums are a good place to start. Good tunes, simple chords, simple solos.

10 hours ago, Deafguy91 said:

Learning guitar is a lot like learning to snowboard. Its terrible and hurts when you start, but afterwards its freakin' amazing. Let me preface this with the fact that I'm completely self taught, and used to be a semi-pro musician playing at shows and on TV programs.

I'd suggest getting a secondhand acoustic guitar to start. When you're learning chords, songs, and scales, the differences between a $400 and $2000 guitar aren't super apparent. The reasons I say get an acoustic is three fold:

1. It will keep you honest. Fret buzz and dead strings are a lot more prevalent on an acoustic, so it will force you to learn correct fingerings
  2. Less maintenance. Most electric guitars will have more things you can tune, which can be daunting for a beginner. Floating bridge, pickup height, gnarly truss rod adjustments, etc.
  3. More affordable. With an acoustic guitar, you're good to go, with an electric you'll need an amp, patch cables, and if you're wanting to get more classic rock tones, probably a pedal or two. All the options for these different components can also be overwhelming

As for what to learn, choose songs you like, and then look them up on youtube. If it seems too difficult, maybe try another song. If you try to just learn chords, scales, or crap like greensleeves you'll lose interest really quick. If you're into the Beatles, their first few albums are a good place to start. Good tunes, simple chords, simple solos.

Youre right, but can accoustic guitar play rock songs? I mean it took me like a year to save up to where i am now, im more of an impatient guy to be honest.

i already have an amp technically

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

On 2/7/2016 at 11:34 PM, Rashy said:

Youre right, but can accoustic guitar play rock songs? I mean it took me like a year to save up to where i am now, im more of an impatient guy to be honest.

i already have an amp technically

Most of the songs you wouldn't be able to play on an acoustic guitar would also require some added effects like delay or distortion. I play all kinds of music on my acoustics, from ACDC to Alexisonfire to Coheed and Cambria. Still rocks. The issue you'll run into is with stuff like Van Halen's tapping solo's, or other songs with 3 note bends. I'd say its worth giving up those specific cases for the benefits I mentioned earlier. Learn to palm mute and you're golden.

That said, If the idea of an electric guitar is that much more exciting to you, grab one. The hardest part with learning anything is keeping yourself motivated. If you look at an acoustic and say, "Meh." but at an electric and say, "FUCK YEA!!" then get an electric one.

Tablature and garage/yard sales.  I hated the having to use an acoustic guitar when I wanted an electric.  Little point if it's not what you want/enjoy, certainly more difficult to stay motivated.

9 hours ago, Deafguy91 said:

Most of the songs you wouldn't be able to play on an acoustic guitar would also require some added effects like delay or distortion. I play all kinds of music on my acoustics, from ACDC to Alexisonfire to Coheed and Cambria. Still rocks. The issue you'll run into is with stuff like Van Halen's tapping solo's, or other songs with 3 note bends. I'd say its worth giving up those specific cases for the benefits I mentioned earlier. Learn to palm mute and you're golden.

That said, If the idea of an electric guitar is that much more exciting to you, grab one. The hardest part with learning anything is keeping yourself motivated. If you look at an acoustic and say, "Meh." but at an electric and say, "FUCK YEA!!" then get an electric one.

8 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Tablature and garage/yard sales.  I hated the having to use an acoustic guitar when I wanted an electric.  Little point if it's not what you want/enjoy, certainly more difficult to stay motivated.

"FUCK YEAH electric guitar" it is. Ill be getting one soon, though im looking around the web for more cheaper ones.

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Rocksmith is a good stepping stone IMO. It teaches you all the important bits and makes practice super fun.

Custom Songs are a thing as well, there's 20K community made custom songs available for ya.

It doesn't teach you theory but, many would argue that you don't need it.