pirate group self-suspends to measure impact on sales for one year

zMeul
1 minute ago, Exty said:

Downloading isnt reproducing , Uploading it is.... I am done talking to you

Lmao, so you don't have a copy on your computer at the end of the download? You started the download and made a copy of the file onto your computer so its you creating the reproduction. Sharing the content is exactly the same crime as downloading it is.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/17/5/506

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Lmao, so you don't have a copy on your computer at the end of the download? You started the download and made a copy of the file onto your computer so its you creating the reproduction. Sharing the content is exactly the same crime as downloading it is.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/17/5/506

by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/17/5/506#sthash.x9zmGnqP.dpuf

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, kelvindeschutter said:

indeed you know when a game is not as successful as they have hoped when they don't release the sales

don't you recall the 2013 sale numbers when SQ complained it didn't sold "as expected" xD

and they sold like 3.4mil in the 1st month and 8.5mil units to date, on PC

at the same time, Crystal Dynamics said the 2013 version was the best sold game in the entire franchise

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Yes but just because you don't get caught doesn't mean you didn't break the law.

That's why I agreed with him, "yes you are right", oh wait I quoted the wrong post, eh it was the right person though.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

It won't make much difference?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

i just don't get why everyone just doesn't hate on pirates.. and some just turn a blind eye.. this is our little world.. pc gaming is on the decline shouldn't we all try and preserve it? i mean its never going to go away.. but if piracy puts off devs.. then we won't have gives to play.. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but there are a lot more pirated console AAA game ISOs on big torrent sites than PC AAA games, and their download numbers are usually larger (unless it's a typical "best-on-PC" franchise like Elder Scrolls or Fallout.)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

14 hours ago, zMeul said:

do I use cracked content? yes I do

why do I do it? because most, if not all, developers do not release demos or in-engine benchmarks tools to assess the performance of said game on my PC(s)

Refund, refund, refund.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

12 hours ago, zMeul said:

you only pay upfront for a whore, not for a game

And if I'm not satisfied I get my money back so I don't see a problem here. And, you can look at game plays ? reviews ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1 minute ago, cesrai said:

game plays ? reviews ? 

you mean those that are "endorsed" by the publishers ... yeah, no

or did you forget what #GamerGate is all about

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you mean those that are "endorsed" by the publishers ... yeah, no

or did you forget what #GamerGate is all about

Gamergate was about journalists that nobody should ever read

Youtubers like Totalbiscuit are still trustworthy

If you go to a website or magazine to read about a video game you already were an idiot

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Gamergate was about journalists that nobody should ever read

Youtubers like Totalbiscuit are still trustworthy

If you go to a website or magazine to read about a video game you already were an idiot

or right, because I should trust ppl like TB unconditionally xD

I rather play a timed demo and make my own assessment

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

i just don't get why everyone just doesn't hate on pirates.. and some just turn a blind eye.. this is our little world.. pc gaming is on the decline shouldn't we all try and preserve it? i mean its never going to go away.. but if piracy puts off devs.. then we won't have gives to play..

the whole "some people can't afford it " argument its just bullshit.. i can't afford a ferarri.. doesn't mean its ok for me to go take one..

this is why our world is so messed up.. people want what they can't afford and try and get it regardless.. 

people take loans out to buy stuff they couldn't otherwise afford or stick it on a credit card with the intention of only paying the minimum a month as a result getting themselves further into debt is just stupid.. 

yes not everyone has a great job or disposable income.. but thats life.. i don't try and live a life like bill gates.. 

You can't compare physical goods with virtual ones. Your real big bad pirates are those that can afford it but choose not to and those are the ones that media companies are trying to catch and block access to their goods without paying.

I really don't get why are you applying old laws logic to completely new type of product. People that can't afford it are not the target group and if they can get a copy of some item without reducing the number of copies left for the developer to sell, they are not making any difference whatsoever so why go after them. That is why copyright laws in poor countries are close to none existent, it simply makes no sense to enforce it as it would do no good.

Developers from "rich countries" tend to invest more in anti piracy measures then those from less rich countries. Why do you think that is?

Off topic: You mentioned that you preordered a game. May I ask you why? Just curious.

5 hours ago, Badger906 said:

and?? in africa women are raped and mutilated daily.. doesn't mean thats cool to...

its theft.. plane and simple.. if it wasn't it wouldn't be illegal.. and if it wasn't a bad thing and didn't have an impact on companies then why have we lost so many great publishers over the years... and why do you think we also miss out on certain titles that are exclusive to consoles..

if you're ok with piracy for any reason then you should be ok with any crime.. because no matter what the crime there will always be someone who views it from a different angle.. 

if you want a game.. wait for it to be reviewed by you tubers.. total biscuit does a damn good job.. or buy a magazine.. then buy it..

and the in engine part.. if your pc doesn't tick all the boxes for the minimum spec then don't buy it.. simple.. 

What's the connection between raped women and piracy? I fail to see the point. Would you share a car with someone? Of course. Why wouldn't you share a game? More than that , piracy is a great way the consumer can protest against the game dev or publisher and even DRM. Witcher 3 sold very well while not having any DRM.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Guys, he's either truly uneducated on the topic or just a troll.  I presume both.  I won't bite.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Won't matter. Someone else will do it or companies will say sales aren't what they expected.

Whatever it is if the sales aren't that good they will make an excuse anyway.

It would be nicer if countries focus more on more urgent things too... We have things we should worry more about than piracy. 

And apart from financial damage, is there any? It's not like pirated games can kill people because they had poor QC or something.

Again, it won't matter and it shouldn't be, we have more important things to worry about like refugees all over europe f*cking everything up, the US f*cking people that show how bad it is. Such things are more of a concern to me. Can't give a damn about this...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 hours ago, Badger906 said:

and?? in africa women are raped and mutilated daily.. doesn't mean thats cool to...

its theft.. plane and simple.. if it wasn't it wouldn't be illegal.. and if it wasn't a bad thing and didn't have an impact on companies then why have we lost so many great publishers over the years... and why do you think we also miss out on certain titles that are exclusive to consoles..

if you're ok with piracy for any reason then you should be ok with any crime.. because no matter what the crime there will always be someone who views it from a different angle.. 

if you want a game.. wait for it to be reviewed by you tubers.. total biscuit does a damn good job.. or buy a magazine.. then buy it..

and the in engine part.. if your pc doesn't tick all the boxes for the minimum spec then don't buy it.. simple.. 

Alrighty. This will be fun.

1. Comparing rape to downloading music? "Literally Hitler" and also, why the "in Africa" part. Rape is a worldwide culture. (I really hope the /s isn't necessary.)
  2. We lose so many great publishers because their games didn't sell. Maybe that's bad games, bad PR, advertising, uninteresting games, etc. For every company thatyou name that "has died because of piracy" I'll match three thriving ones whos games are available to pirate.
  3. We miss out on console exclusive because the publisher has had money thrown at it to make it console exclusive.
  4. Ooooooh boy. So if I download music I'm a OK with the holocaust? Again. "Literally Hitler."
  5. What if I just want to test out *very specific ingame graphical thing* myself, or you know, have a couple hours go form my own opinion on a game?

- snip-

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

do I use cracked content? yes I do

why do I do it? because most, if not all, developers do not release demos or in-engine benchmarks tools to assess the performance of said game on my PC(s)

do I believe "software piracy" is theft? no, it's not!

why? because if you copy the game 1 million times and delete it doesn't mean the publisher lost 1 million copies

Talking about piracy in general is acceptable, posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not.

you're dangerously close to breaking this rule @zMeul

36 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Alrighty. This will be fun.

1. Comparing rape to downloading music? "Literally Hitler" and also, why the "in Africa" part. Rape is a worldwide culture. (I really hope the /s isn't necessary.)
  2. We lose so many great publishers because their games didn't sell. Maybe that's bad games, bad PR, advertising, uninteresting games, etc. For every company thatyou name that "has died because of piracy" I'll match three thriving ones whos games are available to pirate.
  3. We miss out on console exclusive because the publisher has had money thrown at it to make it console exclusive.
  4. Ooooooh boy. So if I download music I'm a OK with the holocaust? Again. "Literally Hitler."
  5. What if I just want to test out *very specific ingame graphical thing* myself, or you know, have a couple hours go form my own opinion on a game?

let me ask you something good man.

If you made, say sculptures/statues, for a living. Painstakingly crafted this shit by hand. Then i come around, buy ONE, uses a 3D Scanner and a 3D Printer to make 5 million copies, which i redistribute on my site either through a paywall, or uses google ad revenue, then would you, who made ONE sculpure/statue. Who spent several hours of YOUR LIFE making this thing, be OK if i just freely made money on something YOU made ???

Console exclusives are there because if they werent, consoles would be dead in the PS2/Xbox era.

Fun fact:

Sony's own ToC and EULA states that Anyone who owns a Playstation product is free to use the software, hardware or firmware in any way you desire. But you are NOT allowed to redistribute it.

In essence, Playstation Emulators ARE legal, if you own a device yourself. Atleast this was the case with the original PS2 and PS3 EULA/ToC

As for testing games:

GoG/Steam offers refunds if you have played a game less then X amount of hours. If you want to test something out, buy it, try it and if you don't like it. Request a refund.

The benefit of using said refund system is that IF enough people use it, Valve will see in its statistic that said game was sort of "meh" and didnt do very well.

A lot of people buy shit and just goes "oh well, whatever". However said action doesnt give any "feedback".

Saying "WTF i want my money back, this is atrocious". That makes people react. THAT, is how you really make companies react.

i know it isnt the right thing to do but i dont buy games before i have played it more or less completely the 2 hours steam gives you are not enough.

i simply have bin burned to many times. and the sad thing is that almost every game i was looking forward to this year is using denuvo so i wont buy any of them.

Piracy: companies bemoaning the loss of their monopoly in the distribution of their products. The products themselves, are yet to be stolen.

Basic economics people: Physical things have value because of finite amounts of product. Digital content can be reproduced many times over. Piracy is a demeaning term for old-fashioned economics trying to worm its way into the modern era, as digital content isn't the same as physical disks or storage medium.

That's also the reason why Adobe is moving their products/services to the cloud rather than keep handing software licenses, so it is nigh impossible to 'pirate' and maintain distribution monopoly of their product. Same goes for MS and any other software developer. Christ, even Spotify and Apple Music figured it out. Essentially, games should be on the cloud if companies want to maintain exclusive right to their content. 

Lost revenue? That just means the company isn't moving with the times and don't know how to treat digital content and services.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

6 hours ago, Exty said:

Downloading isnt reproducing , Uploading it is.... I am done talking to you

reproduce
transitive verb
:  to produce again: as
b :  to cause to exist again or anew <reproduce water from steam>
c :  to imitate closely <sound-effects can reproduce the sound of thunder>
e :  to make a representation (as an image or copy) of <reproduce a face on canvas>

By downloading something you are creating a new copy of an existing thing, after all the action of downloading does not remove it from the other computer or the server. Thus downloading is reproducing.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

10 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Piracy: companies bemoaning the loss of their monopoly in the distribution of their products. The products themselves, are yet to be stolen.

Basic economics people: Physical things have value because of finite amounts of product. Digital content can be reproduced many times over. Piracy is a demeaning term for old-fashioned economics trying to worm its way into the modern era, as digital content isn't the same as physical disks or storage medium.

That's also the reason why Adobe is moving their products/services to the cloud rather than keep handing software licenses, so it is nigh impossible to 'pirate' and maintain distribution monopoly of their product. Same goes for MS and any other software developer. Christ, even Spotify and Apple Music figured it out. Essentially, games should be on the cloud if companies want to maintain exclusive right to their content. 

Lost revenue? That just means the company isn't moving with the times and don't know how to treat digital content and services.

No, things have value because there is demand for it and people are willing to pay a certain amount to obtain it. A thing being finite will at best increase said amount.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

4 minutes ago, Centurius said:

No, things have value because there is demand for it and people are willing to pay a certain amount to obtain it. A thing being finite will at best increase said amount.

There's a site from way back that talked about this, which talks about derivative works and etc.

http://fuwanovel.net/faq/spreading-culture-increases-supporters

Essentially, if the content you're enjoying is in a foreign language and you want it translated, your logic says wait for the company to actually do the work, which is almost never happening due to being an irrelevant market in the eyes of the distributor. What most people do are non-profit, fan translations; it also means "illegal distributions of the content" in a different language.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

9 hours ago, KuJoe said:

And you lost all credibility because that's the exact definition of piracy, you're only lying to yourself if you think your excuses are valid.

pi·ra·cy
ˈpīrəsē/
noun
    • a practice similar to piracy but in other contexts, especially hijacking.
    • the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.

i like how your definition of piracy dosnt mention theft and is there for not the "exact definition" of theft 

8 hours ago, Badger906 said:

-snip-

in most of your post you sound like a child who has no clue about piracy and im sorry but comparing piracy to rape. really

the reason its hard to call piracy theft, is because you have to show something was lost. its well know that 1 DL doesnt = 1 lost sale, many pirates fall into one of 2 categories, would never have brought it or tried it, liked it and brought it any way. people like you need to realise that without piracy you wouldn't have steam, netflix, spotify or the like. 

oh and wishing some one ill like being robbed just makes you look like a douche, the fact that you cant tell the difference between that and piracy speaks volumes.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017