Computer Lounge reinforces Asus' poor quality control on ROG Swift PG279Q

lak
7 hours ago, Tic-Tac said:

What demand? Come on man! Here, we're talking about some ENTHUSIAST-grade monitors, pretty expensive ones also, there is no such big demand for these kind of products you know. I bet that bigger demand is for Dell's Ultrasharp line and then again they have way better QC than those Taiwanese. So all these stories that "Asus buys panels with different grades (READ : C,B) just to meet demand" is pure nonsense.

The fact is : They are ultra-cutting all the costs from the start and deliberately ordering cheap-crap panels from AUO, assemble them even crapier, sell them, 300% ROI, bingo! boom! PROFIT!

And that's all! There is no "Poor Asus" , "Poor Asus the middleman" , "Panel manufacturers are to blame" no no no, it's just a pure business strategy, greedy one of course.

We are the cattle, we who are buying that subpar crap and paying ultra-premium for a poorly made product.

Both of Acer's 144hz IPS monitors have the same issues. We'll see what Eizo's option looks like when it comes out, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if they had some blb problems as well.

Well, Eizo is faaaar more serious company regarding displays than Acer or Asus will ever be so I'm pretty confident that their monitor will be excellent but waaaay too pricey.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Wow that bleeding is much worse than I thought it would be

Don't expect that will happen on a product with such hefty price tag

I actually thought monitors in this price range are somewhat checked and calibrated in factory, obviously not. 

Even my cheapo IPS monitor bought from Dell outlet has no bleeding at all lol. It literally cost 1/10 of the price.

I returned my MG279Q after 3 days because the bleed was terrible.  People shit on my posts on Reddit when I say watch out for this monitor, it has terrible QC but it is the only IPS 1440p 144Hz FreeSync option right now. 

The Acer G-Sync version is just as bad, they use the same panel, I'm pretty sure it is the same panel as this ROG too, it's definitely the same brand

1 minute ago, DEDRICK said:

I returned my MG279Q after 3 days because the bleed was terrible.  People shit on my posts on Reddit when I say watch out for this monitor, it has terrible QC but it is the only IPS 1440p 144Hz FreeSync option right now. 

The Acer G-Sync version is just as bad, they use the same panel, I'm pretty sure it is the same panel this ROG too

It is. AUO makes the only 144hz IPS panel out there so ASUS, Acer, and Ezio's monitors all use those panels.

Here we go again, why are you blaming ASUS for the problems, you know who makes the panels, AU Optronics (ACER) which is why most panels have a massive amount of backlight bleed/IPS glow, due to awful QC, if you look at ASUS monitors not from AU Optronics, they are much better, so look at who makes the panels, as that is the problem.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

4 hours ago, Metro said:

Here we go again, why are you blaming ASUS for the problems, you know who makes the panels, AU Optronics (ACER) which is why most panels have a massive amount of backlight bleed/IPS glow, due to awful QC, if you look at ASUS monitors not from AU Optronics, they are much better, so look at who makes the panels, as that is the problem.

ASUS chose to buy the panels and put their name on the monitors. They have to deal with RMAs on it and the hit to their reputation for putting out a substandard product. They may be AUO panels but ASUS deemed them acceptable and worthy of a premium price. It's just as much ASUS' fault.

It's not just Computer Lounge reporting these issues..

9 hours ago, Derangel said:

ASUS chose to buy the panels and put their name on the monitors. They have to deal with RMAs on it and the hit to their reputation for putting out a substandard product. They may be AUO panels but ASUS deemed them acceptable and worthy of a premium price. It's just as much ASUS' fault.

They should be sued to death!

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

15 hours ago, Derangel said:

ASUS has no other manufacturer making them so they have to go with AU Optronics and they need to compete with ACER

The monitor is fine, however it is the panel causing the issues

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

I don't think so. Only panel issue is IPS glow and that issue have all IPS panels including DELL and EIZO. 

The main issue here is BLB or Back Light Bleed and that comes from poorly assembled monitors where edge-light comes through, so QC at it's worst.

2 hours ago, Metro said:

ASUS has no other manufacturer making them so they have to go with AU Optronics and they need to compete with ACER

The monitor is fine, however it is the panel causing the issues

It doesn't matter why it has issues. All that matters is that it has them and ASUS has to deal with them. Stop white knighting for ASUS. ASUS has QA issues across a wide range of their products these days and absolute shit support. The last thing people need to be doing is sticking up for them.

36 minutes ago, Derangel said:

It doesn't matter why it has issues. All that matters is that it has them and ASUS has to deal with them. Stop white knighting for ASUS. ASUS has QA issues across a wide range of their products these days and absolute shit support. The last thing people need to be doing is sticking up for them.

Could you link the other bad monitors (not AU Optronic panels)

1 hour ago, Tic-Tac said:

I don't think so. Only panel issue is IPS glow and that issue have all IPS panels including DELL and EIZO. 

The main issue here is BLB or Back Light Bleed and that comes from poorly assembled monitors where edge-light comes through, so QC at it's worst.

No, most of it comes from the panel, which is why AU Optronic panels have such a high amount of backlight bleed/IPS glow, as their QC is awful

1 hour ago, Metro said:

Could you link the other bad monitors (not AU Optronic panels)

Not sure who makes the panel but I recall hearing that the Swift had some QA issues, at least early revisions of it. Going back a little bit that 3D Vision 2 monitor they had with a built in receiver was apparently pretty crap. The panel itself was alright (for a TN panel of that era) but the receiver was terrible and had a habit of dying. That's probably why that was one of the only monitors that ever used it. Though I was talking about products in general, not just monitors.

I have two Asus PA series monitors. Love them dearly but I know my next big upgrade will be those insane 4K OLED monitors from Dell :o

50 minutes ago, TroubleKlef said:

I have two Asus PA series monitors. Love them dearly but I know my next big upgrade will be those insane 4K OLED monitors from Dell :o

Hopefully the next cards from Nvidia and AMD will actually make 4K viable on the single card.

On 6 February 2016 at 9:26 AM, Hunched said:

Again... this also happens to every single $800+ IPS panel.

Happens to the $1500 Acer X34.

It happens to fucking everything that is IPS.

Asus is not a special case here....

If anything everyone should be pissed at Samsung, LG, and AUO for making all these flawed IPS panels. They're the ones making the fuckin things...

People are getting mad at the middle man, the guys that built nothing except for the frame, stand, and OSD. 

Why aren't Samsung, LG, and AUO doing any quality control before sending their panels out to Dell, Asus, BenQ, Acer, and everyone else? 

agreed, let's not do lynchings over industry wide issues.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Ok, if it's the issue with EVERY SINGLE ONE IPS PANEL how come that some of them come nearly perfect and some of them with a ton of BLB ? 

We need to straight some facts here ASAP and those are that, sure, ALL IPS PANELS have an issue of IPS GLOW but BLB is another league and it comes from poor assembly of a panel buyer who puts that panel into their monitor chassis.

I don't know why people have such a boner for IPS.  Sure it has great viewing angles and good color reproduction, but gamers especially shouldn't care about either of those.  Do you sit on a 100 degree angle from your monitor? No. So the angles are ridiculously unnecessary.  Do you do print? No? Then who gives a damn about IPS and its 'benefits'?

A-MVA is much better in black reproduction, has better angles than TN and is faster than IPS.  Ever look at TV reviews?  LG uses IPS and except for the angle bonus, they get destroyed in picture quality by Samsung/Sharp with their AMVAs.  

On 2/10/2016 at 11:58 PM, Derangel said:

Not sure who makes the panel but I recall hearing that the Swift had some QA issues, at least early revisions of it. Going back a little bit that 3D Vision 2 monitor they had with a built in receiver was apparently pretty crap. The panel itself was alright (for a TN panel of that era) but the receiver was terrible and had a habit of dying. That's probably why that was one of the only monitors that ever used it. Though I was talking about products in general, not just monitors.

Which ASUS products are bad then

33 minutes ago, Metro said:

Which ASUS products are bad then

Based on customer reviews (for what they're worth) ASUS' motherboards lately seem to not be great when it comes to QA. It's not even that ASUS makes bad products, its that the QA on them seems to be all over the map. If you get something that works it's going to be solid for a while, but if you don't well good luck dealing with ASUS support. ASUS isn't the only company this this problem, of course, but they are the focus of this topic.

I don't know why people have such a boner for IPS.  Sure it has great viewing angles and good color reproduction, but gamers especially shouldn't care about either of those.  Do you sit on a 100 degree angle from your monitor? No. So the angles are ridiculously unnecessary.  Do you do print? No? Then who gives a damn about IPS and its 'benefits'?

A-MVA is much better in black reproduction, has better angles than TN and is faster than IPS.  Ever look at TV reviews?  LG uses IPS and except for the angle bonus, they get destroyed in picture quality by Samsung/Sharp with their AMVAs.  

What is the difference between amva and ips?

Also good color accuracy is a good thing from everyone. Also when you have more than one person looking at the screen angle is an issue. And I don't care what tech achieves the results.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

18 hours ago, Bojamijams said:

Simply because many people do more on their computers than just use them as a gaming console for a singular purpose. Especially the type of people that can afford high end components and monitors.

There's a lot more out there than simply gaming or doing print, and for multiple monitor setups good viewing angles are essential.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q