Computer Lounge reinforces Asus' poor quality control on ROG Swift PG279Q

lak

Thats disgraceful. I thought ASUS's slogan was Inspiring Innovation, Persistent Perfection... This is not that.

I have a £130 monitor at home made by LG that is so much better than this, no back light bleed and its IPS grade quality.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Actually that M7E sample looks pretty good in my books but the rest 19 of them are.....well not that good and surely not worth 850€ !!!!!!!!! 

It's very strange for them not having some kind of policy or contract clause for that QC with panel manufacturers like AU Optronics, Samsung etc. There must be some kind of QC policy when you're releasing "high quality" panel on the market for a damn 850 OR they are ordering super-cheap panels from AUO  and margins are theirs, oh well....

Either way, this kind of behavior must be regulated by the law 100%. Law action suits must apply in most cases where a Company deliberately selling BAD product for a premium price and all that under the umbrella of FALSE ADVERTISING in this case because this is NOT A PREMIUM MONITOR.

I wonder how come all those Apple Cinema Displays don't ever have any of these problems hmm

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

13 hours ago, Hunched said:

This happens to all IPS panels, not just Asus (since they don't even make the panels anyway)

I don't recommend IPS because of this, it's actually plagued.

Wrong. 

13 hours ago, Hunched said:

This happens to all IPS panels, not just Asus (since they don't even make the panels anyway)

Their ProArt monitors have no such issue, and they're not that pricey.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

48 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Their ProArt monitors have no such issue, and they're not that pricey.

Honestly this is what acceptable BLB looks like; and that's on an Ultrawide where bleed and even IPS glow is more pronounced. Anyone paying even close to $1000 should never accept those clearly faulty panels from Asus.

04a_34UC97_backlightbleed.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

37 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Honestly this is what acceptable BLB looks like; and that's on an Ultrawide where bleed and even IPS glow is more pronounced. Anyone paying even close to $1000 should never accept those clearly faulty panels from ASUS.

I mean it's fine to complain about the Swift's backlight bleed, but it's BS to say all of ASUS' monitors have BLB problems. My whole family uses their $300 ProArt monitors and none of them has BLB.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

I mean it's fine to complain about the Swift's backlight bleed, but it's BS to say all of ASUS' monitors have BLB problems. My whole family uses their $300 ProArt monitors and none of them has BLB.

Oh certainly, my current main gaming monitor is the Asus ROG Swift, and it's been fantastic bar a tiny dead pixel middle bottom.

Although as it stands Asus do need better quality control if so many are severely affected. The Asus monitor warranty and RMA system in the EU is also horrific, so better QC alleviates a lot of issues.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Well, isn't this what you would expect?

I mean let's be honest, Asus puts as the first one a monitor on the market with 144Hz, G-sync, IPS and a nice res on the market.

The "perfect" monitor a lot of people were waiting for, and ready to throw a pile of money at it.

And sales go through the roof compared to other gaming monitors.

And as we all know producing such thing is stupidly expensive and difficult. And suddenly producing such thing in a really high amount compared to similar products is going to bring some challenges with it.

And Asus had 2 options, keep the QC up and be sure that they delivered perfect monitors.

Or loosen op the QC requirements and keeping up with the demand.

I'm not saying they are selling millions of it, but the amount they sell is a lot more compared to their competitors.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

Wow what a useful post.

No wonder you have 10k posts.

Thanks. I appreciate the kind gesture, my good man.

23 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yet another reason why I don't and never will buy Asus.

except for routers; their routers are really good

----

Damn that is pretty bad back-light issues. I know that you will experience some back-light issues on IPS - no matter the brand or panel maker, but if I bought this monitor and it had that level of back-light bleed, I would be returning it in a heart beat. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

18 hours ago, Prysin said:

Well, this is a retail company. Their mission is to sell you stuff. If they have dodgy products, then said product not only reflects badly on Asus, but also the retailer.

So when a retail company goes as far as saying "this isnt as good as you think", then they are betraying their own cause for the sake of protecting the customer.

Their cause, after all, is to sell you this monitor. That is what they are there for.

By saying "dont buy this, buy something else", they are sacrificing their own profits for the sake of being nice. Being nice doesnt make you money (cough just look at AMD). It gives you "cred" among consumers, but it does not make money. So Computer Lounge in this case is willing to sacrifice profit in order to inform their customers that one of THEIR chosen products that THEY chose to sell in the first place, is not up to snuff.

Well yes, but fanboys buy anyways, and even if this product doesn't help them gain more of the market, its such a stupid high margin "cutting-edge" product that Asus is totally fine with the publicity trade off. (Obviously or they would have actually done something about the issue).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Some might already know my position on Asus, but just in-case, I will never buy a Asus product. They have horrible customer service and many of their products have broken on me. I refuse to even look at their products at this point.

Having said that, I mainly only buy Dell monitors, I have a U2414H and a U2312HM. My U2414H has very slight backlight bleed in the top right corner, but everywhere else on the monitor is pure black. My U2312HM has ZERO blacklight bleed.

So, it happens, but choosing IPS does not mean that blacklight bleeding will always be an occurrence on all monitors.

23 minutes ago, EChondo said:

Some might already know my position on Asus, but just in-case, I will never buy a Asus product. They have horrible customer service and many of their products have broken on me. I refuse to even look at their products at this point.

Having said that, I mainly only buy Dell monitors, I have a U2414H and a U2312HM. My U2414H has very slight backlight bleed in the top right corner, but everywhere else on the monitor is pure black. My U2312HM has ZERO blacklight bleed.

So, it happens, but choosing IPS does not mean that blacklight bleeding will always be an occurrence on all monitors.

This is why I yearn for more Dell releases with G-Sync and Freesync, their software support and calibration is wonderful, and the quality of their Ultrasharp line and laptops has won me over.  Still dying for a 32" 4K AMVA+ monitor.  That'd make me happy.  It's not OLED, but it'll work fine for a decade until OLED is cheaper.

2 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

This is why I yearn for more Dell releases with G-Sync and Freesync, their software support and calibration is wonderful, and the quality of their Ultrasharp line and laptops has won me over.  Still dying for a 32" 4K AMVA+ monitor.  That'd make me happy.  It's not OLED, but it'll work fine for a decade until OLED is cheaper.

I love Dell for monitors, their newer ones with the top of the line features(high resolution, g/freesync) are expensive, but their standard 1080p, 60Hz, IPS monitors are so damn reasonably priced and you get great aesthetics(thin bezel, adjustable stand(pivot, rotate, swivel), tons of video ports). They're usually $250 or so, but you can find them on sale for $200 or less year round.

I don't think I'll buy any other monitor brand out there, Dell just has the way better package.

1 minute ago, EChondo said:

I love Dell for monitors, their newer ones with the top of the line features(high resolution, g/freesync) are expensive, but their standard 1080p, 60Hz, IPS monitors are so damn reasonably priced and you get great aesthetics(thin bezel, adjustable stand(pivot, rotate, swivel), tons of video ports). They're usually $250 or so, but you can find them on sale for $200 or less year round.

I don't think I'll buy any other monitor brand out there, Dell just has the way better package.

I wish I had the cash to burn on their OLED monitor.  I might just get those Infinity Edge displays when they're out.  They're close to perfect.

5 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well yes, but fanboys buy anyways, and even if this product doesn't help them gain more of the market, its such a stupid high margin "cutting-edge" product that Asus is totally fine with the publicity trade off. (Obviously or they would have actually done something about the issue).

fanboys arent the biggest part of your revenue. That is sales to new customers. A fanboy bought this monitor regardless, he or she doesnt go out of their way to buy many many more.

Dell just needs to produce IPS panel version of S2716DG  and that's it! They will own the market, game over. 

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

9 hours ago, Prysin said:

fanboys arent the biggest part of your revenue. That is sales to new customers. A fanboy bought this monitor regardless, he or she doesnt go out of their way to buy many many more.

How many new customers are going to be buying the 1200 3440x1440p G-sync panel?

This isn't a mainstream product.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 2/6/2016 at 1:12 AM, Hunched said:

I've seen this "it happens on all IPS monitors" quite a lot in this thread. Where did everyone get this idea from? 

All LCD monitors (including TN and IPS) have backlight bleeding. So not buying an IPS monitor because of backlight bleeding is pretty silly, unless you are getting an OLED screen. What you are probably thinking of is IPS glow. That's not what the video is talking about though. 

IPS glow = something that only happens on IPS screens. It's when there is a "glow" when you look at it from extreme angles (where TN panels usually just crap themselves). 

Backlight bleed = bright spots usually in the corners. Can be seen when looking straight at the monitor. Can happen on any monitor with backlights.

On 2/6/2016 at 2:26 AM, Hunched said:

If anything everyone should be pissed at Samsung, LG, and AUO for making all these flawed IPS panels. They're the ones making the fuckin things...

People are getting mad at the middle man, the guys that built nothing except for the frame, stand, and OSD. 

Why aren't Samsung, LG, and AUO doing any quality control before sending their panels out to Dell, Asus, BenQ, Acer, and everyone else? 

The panel makers are doing QC. That's why panels gets different ratings. For example Dell only buys grade A+ panels for their Ultrasharp series. If you buy one of the cheap Korean monitors you might get an A- or B grade panel. 

In the case of these high refresh rate IPS monitors there might not be enough to accurately bin them, or Asus (and possibly other OEMs as well) might buy panels from different grades just to meet demand.

Big thumbs up to Computer Lounge for doing this test. 

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I've seen this "it happens on all IPS monitors" quite a lot in this thread. Where did everyone get this idea from? 

All LCD monitors (including TN and IPS) have backlight bleeding. So not buying an IPS monitor because of backlight bleeding is pretty silly, unless you are getting an OLED screen. What you are probably thinking of is IPS glow. That's not what the video is talking about though. 

IPS glow = something that only happens on IPS screens. It's when there is a "glow" when you look at it from extreme angles (where TN panels usually just crap themselves). 

Backlight bleed = bright spots usually in the corners. Can be seen when looking straight at the monitor. Can happen on any monitor with backlights.

The panel makers are doing QC. That's why panels gets different ratings. For example Dell only buys grade A+ panels for their Ultrasharp series. If you buy one of the cheap Korean monitors you might get an A- or B grade panel. 

In the case of these high refresh rate IPS monitors there might not be enough to accurately bin them, or Asus (and possibly other OEMs as well) might buy panels from different grades just to meet demand.

Big thumbs up to Computer Lounge for doing this test. 

TN panels are nowhere near as plagued by backlight issues as IPS, and on VA panels it's almost a non-existent issue.

It's one of the big strengths of VA, being nearly immune to this issue.

Backlight issues are not even close to being as likely to happen across TN, IPS, and VA. IPS has the issue more by a landslide.

Or maybe it is the glow, but everything I see aren't shots taken from extreme angles which you claim is the only way it's visible.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What demand? Come on man! Here, we're talking about some ENTHUSIAST-grade monitors, pretty expensive ones also, there is no such big demand for these kind of products you know. I bet that bigger demand is for Dell's Ultrasharp line and then again they have way better QC than those Taiwanese. So all these stories that "Asus buys panels with different grades (READ : C,B) just to meet demand" is pure nonsense.

The fact is : They are ultra-cutting all the costs from the start and deliberately ordering cheap-crap panels from AUO, assemble them even crapier, sell them, 300% ROI, bingo! boom! PROFIT!

And that's all! There is no "Poor Asus" , "Poor Asus the middleman" , "Panel manufacturers are to blame" no no no, it's just a pure business strategy, greedy one of course.

We are the cattle, we who are buying that subpar crap and paying ultra-premium for a poorly made product.

This problem get solved when every monitor is OLED

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 6.2.2016 at 1:15 AM, Hunched said:

All IPS panels are this bad with backlight bleed.

There is no IPS monitor you can buy and be safe from backlight bleed. 

Acer and Asus both us AUO panels primarily, as does basically everyone who isn't Samsung or LG.

Not true. There is a difference between ips glow and blb. My Monitor is perfect.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO